PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Scottish Sprint Championships (Dunc)

dunc
26-11-2007, 19:24
Hey lads loads of projects on here but this one is a bit less of a start from scratch and build a monster, and more of a preparing the car for competition. I'm entering the Scottish Sprint Championships for the 2008 season and need to prepare my car for regulations and of course to make it suitable for the Job in hand. Hopefully after its prepared I'll be able to update this thread with any mid season adjustments, additions or repairs.

As my car currently stands it’s a suitable car for track work and has already done its fair share of track time over the years, this year it lapped the Nurburgring (bridge to gantry) in 8min 55secs using only 11psi through a std T28 (stage 2) and std road tyres. Lapping Knockhill in about 64seconds (the odd high 63sec being my current best recorded). As it stands the Spec of the car is:-

ENGINE:-
*CA18DET engine
*Full deCAT S/S exhaust
*T28 turbo
*Apex bumper mounted FMIC
*19 row oil cooler and remote oil filter
*Cusco catch can
*DB Power Thick alloy rad
*Apexi AVC-R boost controller
*Norris Designs stage 1 chip
*lightweight Redtop battery
*Nismo uprated clutch pressure plate
*LUK clutch
*OBX short shifter
*Hose Solutions Braided Clutch Line

SUSPENSION/CHASSIS:-
*Apex Gen2 coilovers
*6 point roll cage
*Whiteline adjustable ARBs
*Apex adjustable front tension rods
*Cusco strut braces front/rear
*Apex front bushed TC arms
*Whiteline ARBs front and rear
*Uprated rear ARB drop links
*Stripped interior plus other weight reducing

WHEELS/BRAKES:-
*DB-Power 330mm diameter/4 pot front brakes(redstuff pads)
*Z32 296mm rear disks/2 pot calipers(blackstuff pads)
*Z32 brake master cylinder
*Braided brake hoses
*Rota Boost 17"x8" wheels
*235/40 Hankook RS-2 tyres

INTERIOR:-
*Drivers Bucket seat on bride subframe
*Gauges - oil temp, oil press, water temp, voltage (autometer)
*Snap-off Momo steering wheel on extended boss

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/IMG_1535_small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/Front_2.jpg

I'm not going for silly power and I'm not putting a massive budget into this, reliability (and meeting regs) is my main goal - Gaining experience from this season and proving the car (and driver) in a competition environment, my only previous sprint experience was in 2005 where I did a non championship event at lossiemouth (North Scotland). Already pretty happy with the handling and braking of the car so here is the current plan for modifications and any other bits for next year:-

Z32 AFM
444cc Injectors
Mapping to suit
4 point harness
Manual Fire Extingisher
Battery Located to boot
Nismo engine and gearbox mounts
Cusco clutch
Nismo clutch pivot
Custom rear strut brace/Harness mount
Race kit (boots, balaclava, gloves and shaded visor for helmet)
Suitable pads with good cold bite (have yellow stuff for any non-competition testing/practise)

In addition to this lot I'm going to rebuild a spare bottom end to use but the plan is to go into the next year using the std (original) lump for now and have the new one ready to swap in if required. The rebuild will consist of the following parts:-

Metal Head Gasket
Forged Pistons
ACL main and end bearings
Uprated Conrods
New oil pump
(using new water pump from current engine)

That’s all I can think of just now, will update when I get started - A few tidy up jobs to do on car too before the fun starts. Also if any of the Scottish lads fancy this and want involved (or are already?) give me a shout, its going to be good fun and not too expensive hopefully :thumbs:

Rgds,

Dunc.

Dunkz
26-11-2007, 19:53
ooo, you going for the custom rear strut bar idea then. Look forward to seeing you run at an event next year. :)

dunc
26-11-2007, 21:42
Yeah decided I'm going to just get a bar welded in and use it for harnesses :)

Plus gets me a few quid selling my old rear brace :D

Dunc.

SteveDunn
26-11-2007, 23:08
Cool stuff :thumbs:

Tenman
27-11-2007, 08:56
Good stuff... you'll be whipping Kev's arse soon :D

SM
27-11-2007, 09:29
Bah :p I'll have 400bhp/tonne soon, enough to take on the world :D

Although Yak will have the same, so I've a fair chance of getting my ass kicked by my team mate :rolleyes:

Great to see Dunc :thumbs:

Chavbo
27-11-2007, 09:33
Good stuff mate, the car sure does look like it corners on rails on the track. The turn-in looks awesome :thumbs: GIE THEM IT :D

dunc
27-11-2007, 10:00
Bah :p I'll have 400bhp/tonne soon, enough to take on the world :D

Sounds awesome Kev, maybe next year :thumbs: What class are you two in for 2008 TA?

Cheers lads, loving the amount of rounds in this thing too - there's was easily 15 rounds last year plus some hillclimb action which I can't wait for :thumbs:

Dunc.

Math
28-11-2007, 16:06
good plans Dunc, the talents there anyway!

if you need a spare pair of hands ill try and offer some, if not im good for a night out :wack:

The Admiral
28-11-2007, 17:16
Nice one Dunc :D

Look forward to hearing about your progress :thumbs:

Cheers :)

Rog

Mick
28-11-2007, 23:02
Go on Dunc, about time you put your track talents to good use!!

ColinR
29-11-2007, 10:42
like I said great plan! If you need a spanner monkey for events let me know.

Col

SM
29-11-2007, 10:56
Sounds awesome Kev, maybe next year :thumbs: What class are you two in for 2008 TA?

Classes havent been announced, if its the same as last year Club FI :no:

I'm hoping there will be a RWD or 2WD class and then I can maybe aim for podium finishes :D

dunc
29-11-2007, 11:03
Stunned at the response this is getting, everyone offering support, advise and offers of help - Totally awesome lads, thanks loads :notworthy

It just keeps getting better and better though - DB Power and Hose Solutions are in with some sponsorship, complete credit to these companies for offering their support to competition this side of the border and in my first full season too. Superb stuff :thumbs:

Going to get the ball rolling this weekend (once I've fixed the exhaust on my focus :rolleyes: ), the event dates are being announced in December - expecting somewhere between 14 to 18 rounds :eek:

My race licence is in the post and comes with the 2008 MSA handbook for regulations the car has to meet :nod:

Dunc :)

thebigroyboyski
29-11-2007, 11:36
Good luck with this man :thumbs:

Ol'_200sx_thing
29-11-2007, 11:46
yep, best o louck mate, if you need some help doing anythin gimme a shout, im always free ;)

TheChin
29-11-2007, 12:35
Good luck matey!

Glad to see that you're doing something you love and that traders on this forum are supporting you. Makes me blush.:wack:

Stuffing
29-11-2007, 12:38
Looks like the car handles very well from the photo's above!

What spring rate are you running on your coilover's mate?
How do you find the car on the road?

Good luck with the racing!

Kieran_E1
29-11-2007, 12:47
well i'll certainly be along to help and support where i can dunc!!!

dunc
29-11-2007, 12:48
Glad to see that you're doing something you love and that traders on this forum are supporting you. Makes me blush.:wack:
Warms the cockles doesn't it :)

Ayrshire lads, there's normally a round or two through at Kames - cheers for support :thumbs:

8/6 on Gen 2 Apex coilovers - soften the damping at its fine on road IMO (suspension is a very subjective thing though), don't use it everyday.

Dunc.

Nismo Pete
30-11-2007, 01:15
If you want me to come up and give you a good kicking just let me know and ill be there :wave:
Looking to do Spa and the Ring again next year and so is Kev so keep your diary free ,you know you want to visit the spa again:D

dunc
30-11-2007, 07:25
Hell yeah I want to visit Spa again :nod: ;)

Think I might have written all holidays off next year in favour pennies for this malarky, you never know though :thumbs:

Dunc.

dunc
02-12-2007, 17:53
Stripped down my spare bottom end today, crank looks to be in decent condition but main shells are scored which seems a bit strange. All big end shells were fine except for one which was starting to show up a copper colour - no scores or anything on those though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/CA_01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/CA_02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/CA_03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/CA-05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/CA-04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/Crank.jpg

Dunc.

2 Black Lines
04-12-2007, 12:18
i hope the washing machine is in the garage, and not the engine in the kitchen!:wack:

Looking good Dunc, if you need any help give me a shout, did 10:rolleyes: years in hills and sprints, so can give you plenty of advise.:thumbs:

M.D.
04-12-2007, 12:37
my mains were totally fooked on mine mate, yet all the big ends (bar the one that spun) were fine,

look at the thrusts too, mine were totally screwed,

dunc
04-12-2007, 12:44
No comment on that one Gordon, cheers for the offer of advise - everyone in the scene seems really helpful too :) Will know doubt pick your brain about a few things though mate :thumbs:

Will give it a good check over md, cheers :)

Dunc.

ColinR
04-12-2007, 14:08
i hope the washing machine is in the garage, and not the engine in the kitchen!:wack:

I think I can answer that one! :D

Dunc = Legend!

Col

dunc
06-12-2007, 12:19
LOL, block got dropped off today to get rebored and crank cleaned up too :)

I've got the nismo engine mounts (thanks to dunkz :notworthy) and gearbox mount here ready to go on, might pop that on this weekend along with the z32 afm, injectors etc. :nod:

Dunc.

2 Black Lines
06-12-2007, 13:15
I think I can answer that one! :D

Dunc = Legend!

Col

A Keiran right under our noses! - mind you, he might have it doubling up as a parts washer, knowing dunc as we all do.

I'd personally use the Dishwasher, as the 90 degree cycle is perfect on alloy, with 90 degree and the spin cycle you may have one up on us there tho Dunc.:thumbs:

dunc
06-12-2007, 13:23
The sump's in a rinse plus wash as we speak :nod:

Dunc.

Stuymac
06-12-2007, 13:26
My race licence is in the post and comes with the 2008 MSA handbook for regulations the car has to meet :nod:

Dunc :)

If you enter in a road going class (Unstripped interior, Tax'd / tested / Insured) you only need a sticker to show which way to turn the key to kill the engine, and some yellow tape round the main battery LIVE cable ;)

You will need a Type A Helmet, and Approved, fireproof race overall :)

thebigroyboyski
06-12-2007, 13:32
Ayrshire lads, there's normally a round or two through at Kames - cheers for support :thumbs:

Need to give us a heads up when you know the dates and i'm sure a few of us will pop through :thumbs:

M.D.
06-12-2007, 16:09
If you enter in a road going class (Unstripped interior, Tax'd / tested / Insured) you only need a sticker to show which way to turn the key to kill the engine, and some yellow tape round the main battery LIVE cable ;)

You will need a Type A Helmet, and Approved, fireproof race overall :)

beat me to it, road going class is a really good way of getting into motorsport as it takes basically nothing to do, just need an everyday car,

so something like the tuned s13 will work wonders, i would like to do a few sprints and hillclimbs next year too, but will need to throw away this gash suspension first

dunc
06-12-2007, 17:42

Hi Stu, got the yellow tape etc already from a sprint I did in 2005 (will look out my timing strut) :thumbs:

Also looks like the scottish regs are slightly different (plus new classes etc) and should be out for next year soon :)

Will post dates up Roy :thumbs:

Dunc.

dunc
07-12-2007, 10:02
Provisional dates out for championships, waiting on response to see if its OK to publically post the SSC dates. Here's the HSC ones though, like the look of these as there's loads of two day events which means a stay over for camping etc :nod: Also there's hill climbs as well, in general two day events are one day in one direction and one day in the other.

Round 1, 23rd March,*Golspie Sprint
Round 2, 10th May, Fintray Hill Climb
Round 3, 11th May, Fintray Hill Climb
Round 4, 5th July, Boyndie Sprint (To be Confirmed)
Round 5, 6th July, Boyndie Sprint (To be Confirmed)
Round 6, 19th &20th July, Alford Sprint (one event)
Round 7, 26th July, Lossiemouth Sprint
Round 8, 27th July, Lossiemouth Sprint
Round 9, 9th August, Fintray Hill Climb
Round 10,10th August,Fintray Hill Climb
Round 11,6th September,Golspie Sprint
Round 12,7th September,Golspie Sprint
Round 13,20th September,Lossiemouth Sprint (new track layout)
Round 14,21st September,Lossiemouth Sprint (new track layout)
*Away Rounds
3rd and 4th May,East Fortune (no points count towards final championship standings).

Rgds,

Dunc.

dunc
07-12-2007, 13:57
Here's the SSC (Scottish sprint championship) and SHC (Scottishhill climb championship) dates for anyone thats interested:-

SSC Round 1 13 April, 2008 Kames Scottish Sporting C.C.
SHC Round 1 19 April, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 2* 20 April, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 3 27 April, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SSC Round 2 03 May, 2008 East Fortune Lothian C.C.
SSC Round 3* 04 May, 2008 East Fortune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 4* 10 May, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SHC Round 5 11 May, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SSC Round 4* 24 May, 2008 Kames East Ayrshire C.C.
SSC Round 5 25 May, 2008 Kames Machars C.C.
SSC Round 6* 7 June, 2008 Golspie Littleferry Caithness C.C.
SSC Round 7 8 June, 2008 Golspie Kylestrome Caithness C.C.
SHC Round 6 21/22 June, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.
SHC Round 7 28 June, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SHC Round 8* 29 June, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SSC Round 8* 5 July, 2008 Boyndie Circuit 1 Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 9 6 July, 2008 Boyndie Circuit 2 Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 10* 19/20 July, 2008 Alford Grampian A.C.
SSC Round 11 2 August, 2008 Kames East Ayrshire C.C.
SSC Round 12 3 August, 2008 Kames East Ayrshire C.C.
SHC Round 9 9 August, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SHC Round 10* 10 August, 2008 Fintray Grampian A.C.
SHC Round 11* 24 August, 2008 Forrestburn Monklands Sporting C.C.
SSC Round 13 13 September, 2008 Golspie Littleferry Caithness C.C.
SSC Round 14* 14 September, 2008 Golspie Kylestrome Caithness C.C.
SSC Round 15 20 September, 2008 Alford Aberdeen & District M.C.
SSC Round 16 21 September, 2008 Alford Aberdeen & District M.C.
SHC Round 12* 27/28 September, 2008 Doune Lothian C.C.

Rgds,

Dunc.

kkydd
07-12-2007, 14:26
goodluck dunc I might see you at the golspie ones as I am hoping to run a couple in order to shake down the car before next year, as I was hoping to enter the HSC. :thumbs:

dunc
07-12-2007, 15:17
Yeah I'm liking the look of the HSC ones over the SSC ones TBH, keen on the two day w/e's and the hill climbs too :)

Dunc.

Math
07-12-2007, 16:02
ill try come to the east fortune ones as theyre just down the road from me :)

dunc
07-12-2007, 16:10
:cool:

Dunc.

thebigroyboyski
09-12-2007, 18:19
Looks like there will be a few fun runs up the Muirkirk road :nod:

dunc
10-12-2007, 10:19
Which ones that Roy?

Dunc.

dunc
10-12-2007, 13:25
Done a few smalls jobs in the past few days, removed injectors ready for new ones going in (awaiting new o-rings along with new oil pump), got z32 afm ready to go on, been cleaning up engine parts and popped on the nismo gearbox mount this morning:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/gmount_fitting1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/gbox_mount_fitting2.jpg

Also its looking like the bottom end is going to be pretty strong, crank being weakest link from what I can gather :)

Dunc.

2 Black Lines
10-12-2007, 14:09
Which ones that Roy?

Dunc.

Kames, Dunc. Directions - if you haven't been there, turn doon the wee street at ra Black Bull, follow to end, the strip of tarmac under the sheep shite is Kames Motorsports Complex.

Btw watch out for the mine shaft!

dunc
10-12-2007, 15:06
The only one of these venues I have been to is Lossiemouth!

Cheers G :wack:

Dunc.

dunc
12-12-2007, 21:12
Looking like I'll be entering in a different vehicle now, probs breaking this for funds so if anyone wants any parts give me a shout. Will have to get a proper thread up soon, would like to sell complete its an awesome car IMO but doubt I'd get the money I'm after. Any offers welcome though :thumbs:

Apart from that its got new apex gen 2 coilovers, covered about 300miles - same with the RS-2 trackday tyres on rota rims (new this year too).

Dunc.

Pugger
12-12-2007, 23:29
Looking like I'll be entering in a different vehicle now, probs breaking this for funds so if anyone wants any parts give me a shout. Will have to get a proper thread up soon, would like to sell complete its an awesome car IMO but doubt I'd get the money I'm after. Any offers welcome though :thumbs:

Apart from that its got new apex gen 2 coilovers, covered about 300miles - same with the RS-2 trackday tyres on rota rims (new this year too).

Dunc.

What you entering in mate?! Bit crap you have to break her tho :(

I soo want the coilovers but would never be able to afford em :(

dunc
12-12-2007, 23:31
I soo want the coilovers but would never be able to afford em :(
I know this doesn't help but they are a great piece of kit, most folk rating them much higher than the gen 1's. :p

Dunc.

Chavbo
12-12-2007, 23:34
Ach that sucks mate :( Dunc without a 200? :eek: That's not a world I want to live in :no: :wack:

dunc
12-12-2007, 23:36
Want any bits sam? :wack:

Dunc.

ColinR
13-12-2007, 08:00
Looking like I'll be entering in a different vehicle now, probs breaking this for funds

What the hell! Thats, thats, thats not right! He's lying to us!! dunc + 200s make the world go round.

Col

dunc
19-03-2008, 16:28
Hey lads been a while since I've updated this thread. My sensible tow car has become my s13 :wack: and I've now finally had a wee go in the radical. Most importantly of all the first HSC championship sprint is this Sunday :thumbs:

I'm totally unprepared but looking forward to giving it a bash :)

Here's some picks (already posted on my car thread) from testing a few weeks ago, I've only had approx 40mins round that wee track in it. It'll be a babtism of fire this weekend :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/06-03-2008_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/06-03-2008_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/06-03-2008_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dunc_keith/06-03-2008_dad2.jpg

Cheers,

Dunc.

arry
19-03-2008, 16:31
so cool it hurts :D

kingj
19-03-2008, 18:37
Thats seriously cool:nod: good luck with what your doing fella, hope you achieve all you want this year:thumbs:

dunc
19-03-2008, 18:43
Thats seriously cool:nod: good luck with what your doing fella, hope you achieve all you want this year:thumbs:
Just entering the championships is all I want, anything else is a bonus (like surviving etc lol).

Dunc.

Rubix_Cube
20-03-2008, 10:14
Videos are required :P

dunc
23-03-2008, 13:02
Videos are required :P
Will get on at my dad to get the vid converted to digital, its nothing too exciting just me trying to learn the balance of the car really.

Dunc.