PDA

View Full Version : s14 sub box

Ken
20-12-2002, 20:43
Anyone know where I can get a made to fit sub box for an s14?

NissanNewbie
20-12-2002, 21:50
If i could get hold of a decent cad package i would have a go at designing my own, I have an 18 disk changer which is sat on the fuel tank (i think it is) and i was thinking that i could build a box that would contain this and 2 x 8 inch subs would need to find suitable speakers before design to work out volumes but i think you could contain it all within the space you have between the tank and the rear shelf.

Anyone with any CAD packages or recommendations on software i could use????

Ken
20-12-2002, 21:56
Was thinking more of a box to house a single 12" sub in the rear wing area in front of where the electric ariel is

NissanNewbie
20-12-2002, 22:00
Sad as it may seem i used to read a magazine called max power.......

Incidentally they got a 200 feature car coming up.

In there is a company called stealth boxes who make moulded fiberglass sub boxes, might be worth giving them a ring seeing if they have a pattern already failing that they may offer to make you one from fresh and then have the pattern available for others.

See how much interest you can drum up for the box and see what they say i reckon if you have a bit of interest drummed up on here then they might sort you out with one, assuming the pattern isn`t already available.

Ken
20-12-2002, 22:01
Have they got a web site?

NissanNewbie
20-12-2002, 22:07
They usually advertise near the back of the Mag, i`ll see if i can rustle up a number for you matey.

:D

Ken
20-12-2002, 22:09
Cheers, that would help a lot:)

NissanNewbie
20-12-2002, 22:23
How`s that lol

http://www.auto-acoustics.co.uk/press1.htm

Doesn`t seem to be one available for the 200 i rang em before for a cavalier (blurgh) and it wasn`t available but is listed now, phaps a mail or phone call might be in order if you check out the bmw listings you get an idea of what they are about.

Ken
20-12-2002, 22:26
Cheers, they are not far from me, think I'll pop down there a have a chat, Many thanks

NissanNewbie
20-12-2002, 22:27
If they sort you out would love to see the pics of how it looks cos i`m running out of ideas to add bass to this car without totally removing usefull boot space.

Ken
20-12-2002, 22:32
Will let you know how I get on, Cheers Mate

sir-carl
21-12-2002, 11:55
Originally posted by NissanNewbie
If they sort you out would love to see the pics of how it looks cos i`m running out of ideas to add bass to this car without totally removing usefull boot space.

how about removing the totally useless rear seats and replacing them with 2 20" subs like i plan to! that way you get to keep your boot space for the golf clubs and a couple of bags of shopping;)

Chris_thedr
21-12-2002, 16:58
I have an 18 disk changer which is sat on the fuel tank (i think it is) and i was thinking that i could build a box that would contain this

Don't forget if your changer is in the box you can't change the disks:D And it might skip:D

NissanNewbie
21-12-2002, 18:16
When it`s done i`ll show you what i mean :D

Cookie
03-01-2003, 09:34
the s14 has mounts for a 10" sub each side of the rear passenger area.

C.

Ken
03-01-2003, 10:24
Hi Cookie,

Do you mean in the panels?

Cookie
03-01-2003, 10:27
Behind the panels.

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/jcope/jcope_3.jpg

C.

Ken
03-01-2003, 10:30
Any fabrication required or will they go straight in?

Cheers

Phyza
03-01-2003, 10:30
Where's that then? Behind the seats?:)

I got a 12" in a large enclosure in the boot, but I can only just get the lid closed!!! I really got to sort it out proper like

Cookie
03-01-2003, 10:41
http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/jcope/index.html

For more info.

I currently have an Infinity perfect 10.1 in a box on the right side of the boot, firing in to the middle of the boot, this takes about 30-40 cm of boot space.

I would not go for on top of the fuel take as i found it caused every thing to vibrate around the boot.

I think i might install my sub in to the partition behind that panel at some point but can't be arsed at the moment.

I have a lighning audio 4X300 strike AMP attached to the left side of the boot covering the flap for the jack compartment, the jack is behind the other panel where the sub is, the sub boxed is clipped in with a webbing strap and does not move about.

I also have compertition JBL 6X9's in a lower MDF parcel shelf and the std shelf above this works very well and cuts down on noise from the boot.

TOP TIP : If your parcel shelf is vibrating take a bit of thick card , bent in half and put under the shelf this push's the shelf up a bit and takes the slack on the clips.

C.

Phyza
03-01-2003, 11:03
damn u guys are quick on the posts 2day!!!

formula
06-01-2003, 12:13
Ok.. i have some experience with subwoofers in S14..

http://www.formula.uklinux.net/bootbuild/

my current install has been pretty much a disaster (in the bass department).. but ive learnt quite a bit from spending three months despirately trying to get bass into the cabin of the car :)

in my install, although there is a lot of bass it is confined to the boot.. its due to the fact that installing a sub in a saloon is completely different from a hatch back, so when people say bass is non directional and that it doesnt really matter where you position a sub they probably own a hatchback..

for bass to travel (properly, preserving any sound quality it might have) free airspace is required between the listener and the cone.. or at very least a relatively non rigid partition..

in our S14's the problem lies with our completely sealed boot with a solid metal back shelf, and rigid metal sheet across the back of the rear seats..

one solution is to remove the rear speakers, allowing the bass to propergate into the cabin of the car.. however this will leave you with no rear fill (which i happen to like)..

a slightly preferable solution wound be to have the sub mounted on the shelf of the boot facing the rear of the back seats, putting the speakers on the rear deck in small boxes to prevent them interfereing with the bass in the boot.. i wasnt able to try this as my driver wouldnt fit in this space so im unsure of its effects..

the chap with the two 10's in the rear panels in the main cabin of the car will undoubtably have the best results.. this is where the expert 240sx (IISCA's sound quality champion car for a fair few years) had their subs mounted.. im gonna have a go at this in a few weeks time so ill keep you informed of how i get on if you like..

**disclaimer**

before i get flamed this isnt to say that a sub in the boot is 100% going to sound crap, its just that it would sound far cleaner and less distant if it were in the cabin of the car with you..

Cookie
06-01-2003, 12:20
I'll just say that my setup has loads of bass and i am very happy with it.

C.

formula
06-01-2003, 12:27
if you're happy rock on..

i just felt my install wasnt up to much so im gonna sod about with it until i am :)

got pretty much my dream car, so id like to get a good sound system for it.. just gotta find some rear trim panels for it as replacements as im gonna end up hacking them to pieces.. anyone know if yodi sold the ones from that S14 he was breaking? i think nissan wanted 200£ for a pair when i asked.. lol..

ill have an ask..

Ken
06-01-2003, 12:35
Hi Formula, can you let me know how you get on with the subs in the side panels, Cheers

formula
06-01-2003, 13:46
yeah.. absolutely..

ill post up a thread on here when i get started and keep everyone informed..

if you did want a box for a 10inch to sit in the rear you're welcome to mine.. 0.85cu.ft.. you can have all the mountings and the false floor shown in those pics of my boot if you like.. doesnt require drilling any holes, just goes onto all the standard mountings..

Mark
06-01-2003, 16:01
Think i'm gonna try this also as i need all my boot space but must have bass. Was just gonna have some high quality components on the shelf and in the doors but it will sound good just not bassy enough tho. :D

formula
07-01-2003, 16:01
if anyones looking for a simple way of geting some very nice and crisp bass into their S14 i know someone selling two JL-8IB4's which are absolutely amazing sound quality subs.. scott bulbwitta or whatever his name is used a pair in the expert 240sx..

http://www.concertcar.com/

they're Infinate Baffle (Free Air) 8 inch subs so they can be mounted on the rear shelf of an S14 (with a little fiddling and new grills).

this is what i was planning to buy and use before i decided to put in a little more effort and put subs in the passenger side panels..

they're also very efficient drivers so can be run perfectly off of a relatively small amp.. 150wrms into 4ohms should be fine.. anyway.. these would be perfect for a minimal effort install and give great sounding bass.. anyones interested let me know... i think the chap wants £120 for the pair..

Ken
07-01-2003, 20:38
Formula, I'm interested in your sub box, how much do you want for it? where abouts are you?

formula
08-01-2003, 09:14
Im in Hatfield in Hertfordshire..

just north of london.. J23 of the M25..

£25 for box and all of its mountings, £10 for the floor.. please bear in mind theres a lot of acoustic carpet there as well as mdf...

Ken
08-01-2003, 11:45
I'll have the floor and the box, do you want me to collect or can you send it and i'll pay delivery costs?

formula
08-01-2003, 12:01
lol.. i could post.. but we would be lookking at £60 postage.. its all made of 3/4inch MDF, and the boot floor is soundproofed with two layers of flashing tape..

come and collect if you can..

***thinnks about trying and fit it through that little hole in the post office kiosk***

ill pm you my phone number and address..