PDA

View Full Version : Amp Install

Sandman
10-11-2002, 14:58
I want to splice into the power antenna live in an 92 S13.

I have found the antenna wiring -
Black
Blue
Green
Red/Black trace
Black/Red trace

Can anyone tell me which pair to use so the amp powers up only when the stereo is on (and the electric aerial is "active") ??

street racer
11-11-2002, 16:25
i just bought an iso lead from halfords (nissan to standard iso) and that already comes with an automatic aerial lead (usually blue). you only need one wire cause the amp is already earthed. dunno if any of this makes sense but hope it helps.

Sandman
13-11-2002, 18:25
I want to install the amp in the boot. Presumably I should be able to source the live (only when stereo on) and earth feeds from the power antenna wiring?

street racer
14-11-2002, 07:04
the live must come from the battery direct, you then tap in to the earth from your rear light clusters. if you bought an amp wiring kit then you should have a single thin wire (usually blue) this is the wire which goes to the back of your stereo and is essentially the switch, so the amp only works when stereo is workin. the thickness of the live wire you need to use depends on the power rating of the amp, and always make sure you have a fuse close to the battery. hope all this helps.

formula
19-11-2002, 11:41
and another thing..

i think the electric arial remote only turns on when the radio is playing.. i.e. not on when you are playing CDs or tapes.. my stereo doesnt have a remote on so i used this for a while but ended up wiring it straight to the "acc. on" line.. just comes on now when i turn the ignition..

also i concur with mr street racer... amps will usually require 8 gauge power cable with a large fuse, run straight to the battery.. also ensure the amp is earthed well or you'll end up with no end of problems.. (interference, amp cutting out etc)