PDA

View Full Version : S13 Stereo fitting

R33_Drifter
16-10-2002, 20:10
I have just been looking through the previous posts and just have a couple of questions, as tomorrow I am gonna go and look for a CD player for my S13

(1) I take it the surround just clips off, and the removal of the existing stereo will be simple to see, but will I need a wiring adaptor to fit the new CD player ?

(2) I seem to have read alot of people having problems with connecting the aerial, what is the solution to this ?

(3) Is there a make of stereo i.e. Sony, Kenwood, etc... that will fit better than others ? As in th posts I have read that the surround cover the stereo slightly and people were have trouble with the stereo surrounds fitting right

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

JonnySpeedbump
17-10-2002, 08:08
Ade,
I take it that's an 'in dash' cd player your going for mate? If so here goes.....
1. To take the centre trim out you need to remove the gear knob (unscrew anti-clockwise), you can then prize the trim out with your fingers via the gearstick gaitor. Unless you've got a fairly new stereo in already, you will prob'ly need an ISO adaptor (have a look first, they're big electrical block connectors which adapt the Nissan wiring to the European standard and should sit just behind the head-unit). You can get these in Halfords for under£15.

2. You may (check first) need an aerial adaptor. These are also available from Halfords.

3. Clarions seem to fit well, I think they were they original equipment, but any stereo can be made to fit.

Good luck
Jonny

RichSeal
17-10-2002, 08:14
1. You don't need to unscrew the gear knob - when you pull the trim off you will need to unscrew the gater, there are 4 screws under the trim then you can move the trim out of the way.

2. You could use an ariel adaptor, but you don't need it. The original ariel used a 2 prong lead. I (and a few others on here) have just stuck one of those prongs in the ariel socket on the back of the radio - works a treat and saves a bit too :D

Also its best to get one of the ISO connectors (from halfords or similar) its better than messing with the wiring. The only difference is that the original radio used the metal cage its held in to ground the unit, so you will need to add a ground wire.

3. Most new stereo's will have no problem, cos you can unclip the surround from the stereo. I've got a panasonic and it fits perfectly well.

HTH

JonnySpeedbump
17-10-2002, 14:42
Richseal,
my Clarion head is screwed into the cage mate and it's perfect fit, didn't yours match up? How did you get it to sit in the double din socket without rattling about?
Oh, and I thought that removing the gearknob would be easier than undoing four screws...... depends how easy your knob comes off I suppose :rolleyes: :D
J

CHILL
20-10-2002, 15:54
When i changed the stereo in my car i couldn't source an adaptor for the ariel anywhere but had the thought that the electric ariel might actually have the correct connection and it does!! I ran an ariel extension wire from the electric ariel to the head unit was easy enoght to do an i know it's linked directly to the ariel correctly!!:D

RichSeal
20-10-2002, 17:10
Originally posted by JonnySpeedbump
Richseal,
my Clarion head is screwed into the cage mate and it's perfect fit, didn't yours match up? How did you get it to sit in the double din socket without rattling about?
Oh, and I thought that removing the gearknob would be easier than undoing four screws...... depends how easy your knob comes off I suppose :rolleyes: :D
J

mine is a perfect fit too, screwed into the cage. I just had to unclip the surround from the stereo to get the plastic bit back on, fits lovely :)

You don't have to unscrew the gear knob to take the plastic surround off, just unscrew the gaiter so you get more access to the cage. Gear knob can just stay on.