PDA

View Full Version : Decent replacement for standard door units

yeager
24-09-2002, 15:10
I want a simple, but noticeable improvement on the standard door speakers. I presume there is an offering from Sony / JBL etc that will fit on the same screw mounts, same cable connections etc...

Any suggestions ? The current speakers bottom out with the new CD player I put in it and I really want a little better all around sound. I've got about 50-60 quid to spend.

Simon

maverick
24-09-2002, 15:33
The JBL 6.5" components that I have in my doors are around £60. They sound great, but I am using a high pass filter and a sub. They are the GT series.

yeager
24-09-2002, 19:26
Originally posted by Maverick
The JBL 6.5" components that I have in my doors are around £60. They sound great, but I am using a high pass filter and a sub. They are the GT series.

U know a UK Online site I can buy these from ? Or is it as simple as a trip down halfords ?

p.nicholas
24-09-2002, 23:35
kenny dualmags are a direct replacement 6.5" £135 i think 200w
you have to change speaker terminal wires on existing wiring

Diddn
25-09-2002, 08:20
I agree with p.nicholas, the Kenwood Dual mags are quite respectable for the price. They come with a nice crossover and a tiny tweeter that'll fit in the OEM place (once you remove the OEM tweeter that is).
50-60W RMS is a little more realistic to put thru them though, not 200W.

yeager
25-09-2002, 08:38
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/shop/acatalog/CAD_Under__150_580.html

Magnat Bullpower 216's are the cheap option here, is the increase from 50 quid to 75 to get the Kenwoods a huge increase in quality as well ? Otherwise those Magnats should be fine.

Simon

Diddn
25-09-2002, 10:01
It'll be unfare to answer yes to your question as I've heard neither of these speakers.
The one I was on about were the purple coned dual mags which have now been replaced by the KFC-PSR71P (last ones at the bottom of the page priced at 134.99).

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/shop/acatalog/CAD_Component_Kits_89.html

Those were the last speakers i had in my car and they sounded very good, until I upgraded and needed to run more than double the power they could handle thru them.

I always listen to the speakers (either on a stand or in another car) before I buy, and I usually compare them to others and judge the sound quality for myself. I make sure I buy something that'll give me what I'm looking for and generally end up spending a little more than my budget.

Personally, I would probably go for the Kenwoods over the Magnats as I've never heard of Magnats before and I've used lots of Kenwood stuff in the past which has proven to be of good quality (for the price).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Didin

RichSeal
25-09-2002, 12:38
Simon, before you buy, those are all S14's, the fronts in an S13 are different. Std size is 6x4! stupid size! You can get 6" to fit, but you would have to make a baffle from MDF for it.

formula
25-09-2002, 13:00
I've never been too impressed with the low end kenwood kit..

Magnat have a reasonable reputation and have heard a few of their subs but no component sets..

personal recomendations would have to be with alpine.. their component sets have always been easy to listen to and the tweeters never too harsh..

formula
25-09-2002, 13:10
woah.. sorry...

6*4's then.. apologies.. just assumed S14..

there are some available from kenwood.. other brands produce them as well but they're not too common.. halfords wont stock them :)

i think some porches use 6*4's also..

Diddn
25-09-2002, 13:16
Oops, I assumed an S14 too, Sorry (if you have an S13), but its probably worthwhile getting a 6.5 inch to fit in the doors of an S13 than upgrade to another 6x4.

RichSeal
25-09-2002, 15:04
Originally posted by Didin
Oops, I assumed an S14 too, Sorry (if you have an S13), but its probably worthwhile getting a 6.5 inch to fit in the doors of an S13 than upgrade to another 6x4.

I agree, I just have to save for some speakers. Too busy buying fast bits :D

yeager
25-09-2002, 23:18
Oh crap, I just ordered some 6.5's, I hope this will be an easy install :(

JonnySpeedbump
28-09-2002, 14:54
Yeager mate,
go into your USER CP / EDIT PROFILE and add some info. to your Signature like: S13 1992 -or whatever- .... just makes it easier for folk to help you out :D
Cheers,
Jonny