PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Leon
09-09-2002, 08:59
OK< I'm working my clangers off in overtime so I've got some lovely disposable to put towards a certain red thing. Last week's overtime is paying for a complete engine reseal/regasket (finally!!!) and I'm think about putting a stash towards a decent ICE system next as the one I've got is, well, 16 years old and the tape deck has had the fat lady singing for a while now.

Ok, first question: I live near Gatwick Airport. is there anyone that you'd recommend for supply/install in this region?

Secondly - I've got an American Pro 200 x2channel bass amp (bridgable with full hi/lo pass filtering - and it's chrome and lights up) - what set up would you recommend built around this?
VOlume is not important - although every now and then I like impairing my hearing for upwards of 3 days after a 20min run. What is important is HIGH fidelity - I play a lot of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP, Camel - ie Prog Rock that uses the full spectrum of sound as opposed to most stuff that stick to the middle frequencies. The bottom is pretty much sorted by the Bass amp I've got (which sounds gorgous btw), Ieed something for the middle/top.
Recommendations?

Third question - head units. I would like a CD-changer (10 disc max), radio (min 30 presets), and possible upgrades to MP3 format in the future (preferrably "bolt-on" - what do you lot reckon? The buttons must be bigger than pin heads tho...

THank you all :) :) :)

Daniel san
12-09-2002, 07:35
Good quality starts with the source, so go for as good a head unit as you can. Pioneer are actually some of the better ones, with Nakamichi and Alpine being the ones to go for I reckon. For out and out quality, go for a single CD player with a changer for convenience, as it won't be as good as the front end. Of course, something like the Nakamichi single, with their DIN sized dash mounted/glove box 6 disc changer doesn't have any drop off at all.

Not got much time right now, but I'll pick up a bit later for you.

what's your budget for the system? both overall and what you want to spend now? The best systems cost money and if that's what you ant, then build it up over time.

Mr_Sukebe
12-09-2002, 08:21
My vote of confidence would go with an Alpine unit.

As Dan states, start with a decent CD/tuner, then consider adding the changer.
I personally don't like changers as I regularly carry around more than 10cds when I'm out for any length of time. In addition, I've played with their loading systems and don't like them. One of my friends had an auto-changer that managed to jam and eat his CDs, nice. CD/tuners would have trouble doing that.

From what I've seen of the alpine head units, they all have a minimum of one pre-out, which could run your power amp if you wanted to.

I can't comment on the difference in outright quality between their head units, as I don't know whether the decoding sections are standard across the range, and the only difference being in internal amplification and pointless (sorry very useful) functionality.

When I bought my alpine head unit, bought one of the cheaper ones from Halfords. They had a deal on, whereby they would pay for the fitting as part of the price deal, and a guy who certainly seemed to know what he was doing came out and fitted it whilst I watched. With just 4x40 w (claimed), seems more than adequately loud.

Whilst I don't know much about ICE, I do not a reasonable amount about home hi-fi (just don't ask), and to me, the alpine gear I've heard sounds closer to a home system than any other brand I've come across.

200sxer
12-09-2002, 11:35
Yep I would go with alpine too.

Got an Alpine head unit that slides forward to reveal the hidden tape player, Alpine F407 amp upside down in the boot and an Alpine 12 cd changer in the boot and some jbl speakers.

Looks nice, sounds nice and tis loud enough for me. ;) :p

p.nicholas
12-09-2002, 11:41
would that be the £300 head unit (ive got one of those)v12 amp
12 disc changer and kenwood dualmags speakers all round

200sxer
12-09-2002, 12:20
Probably

TDA 7570R

V12 F407

CHA 1214

Do you thinks it's a good set up?

onionboy - s12
12-09-2002, 17:20
well, you say you listen to pink floyd and music like that... so i would go with :

(depends on your budget though)

pioneer deh p8400r head unit (plays mp3's etc) £390 ish
or:
alpine cda7893r head unit (plays mp3's also) £270 ish

both sound great but i prefere the pioneer for that kind of music.

the speakers all depend on your budget, as you will get a better system the more cash you throw at it (not always though)

ok, as i dont know your budget this is what i would go for (some of which im getting)

vibe sa69 6X9's 99 quid and sounds great for vocal music etc... the guitar solo's sound out of this world.
or kenwood kfc (mmmm chicken) - 6908 6X9's great sound. very loud and work the full range.

there are also similar speakers to the carisma r5...
pioneer tsa2010 for the 8" speakers or tsa2510 for the 10" speakers...

big speakers for big sound!

id look at vibe for most of the speaker stuff though... the speakers are expensive but for the music you listen to they are perfect.... very loud and very vocal/instrumental... sound lovely...

have you sorted a sub? if not the vibe subs have been given rave reviews... for thundering bass the magnat have preformed well also...

but please let us know your budget... cheers.

Leon
12-09-2002, 20:50
Strewth, cheers for the replies people!!!
As for budget... hmm, don't quite know that one yet. I am looking at what people recommend and at what type of money, and then foming opinions from there . At the end of the day, if a system sounds perfect and costs more than I thought, well, I'll save for a few months...
Keep the ideas flowing, please...
:) :)

onionboy - s12
12-09-2002, 22:10
ok. that i bashed out in a few mins... but i will have a good look tomorrow and dig out my reviews and post up the system i think you should use for the type of music your into.
give me a couple of days though as it takes a lot out of me climbing out of my hole.

Leon
13-09-2002, 08:12
Originally posted by onionboy - s12
ok. that i bashed out in a few mins... but i will have a good look tomorrow and dig out my reviews and post up the system i think you should use for the type of music your into.
give me a couple of days though as it takes a lot out of me climbing out of my hole.
Cheers :D

Daniel san
13-09-2002, 20:20
If you want some sweet front speakers mate and don't mind paying the wonga for them, check these out. www.adst.com

They were recommended to me by a guy who used to own his own install company and went on to judge the SQ+ classes at the Sound Off champs.

He says they're really rather good;) I'm currently checking these out: http://www.adst.com/pages/336c.html

onionboy - s12
13-09-2002, 20:35
ive been trying to find info on them for ages!
ive heard good things about them...

dan, can you forward me some pricing info at all?

cheers bud...

also... when are you fitting them? can you let me know how they sound in your car?

cheers.
laterz.

Daniel san
13-09-2002, 20:38
Prices are all in $. The ones I've posted the link for are about $700 or so. Not sure what that is over here yet, but generally it just means swapping the $ for a £:( Luckily, the guy that pointed me in their direction has still got his contacts and in exchange for some help and info I've given him on Home audio, he's willing to put me onto the guy that deals with them in this country. As soon as I've figured out which ones to go for, he's gonna sort me out with a price.

I'll let you know buddy.

Btw, how's it feel to be on a proper car forum? Having nice mature-ish conversations!

Daniel san
13-09-2002, 20:41
These were mentioned too.

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/

onionboy - s12
14-09-2002, 00:27
nice one, cheers for that bud... im looking at a possible vibe setup in the orion as they are good for not rattling the hell outta the cars... but i want to spend more money for the nissan and get a decent quality set-up so i might look at getting somehting like those... im gonna go to america at some point again in the near future so i will probably bring it all back with me then.

as for the forum its cool. i cant take fc seriously lol. i just go there to waste time and post utter ******** all the time.

hey, thank your missus for me! since doing her site and tracey's (as well as a couple of others) i got a response from a few people... 3 want site built. and another is a huge arts coucil/gallery type business that want to sell art worldwide etc and want a quote... doesnt mean ill get the job but it shows promising for my company now :D

are you going to the nec motor show?