PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox whine - layshaft bearings

Messiah
15-01-2006, 16:55
My gearbox whines while driving (execpt 4th gear) and while in neutral. When clutch is depressed whine dissapears. From other topics regarding this problem I have understood that it's layshaft bearings that are making this noise. I belive on the picture down below is S14 gearbox layshaft and 3 bearings (circled in red) that need to be replaced to fix the whining porblem. If I am mistaken please correct me.

http://www.zone.ee/e500/S14_layshaft.jpg

Gray
15-01-2006, 23:10
I had a similar whiney, grinding noise and I hate to say it, but it was a new gearbox for me.

If you are in the UK, have a word with Gary at APT. He sorted mine for me.
Top man, top job!
:Plug:

Messiah
16-01-2006, 05:32
I have no grinding noise. I live in Estonia :)

Messiah
17-01-2006, 10:52
Anyone?

Si
17-01-2006, 11:01
I get the same noise and exact same symptoms - i was lead to beleive it was the input shaft bearing in the gearbox?

Messiah
23-01-2006, 14:09
Input shaft bearing noise is when clutch is depressed. Layshaft bearing noise is when car drives in gear or in neutral and clutch is not depressed.

Si
23-01-2006, 16:07
I thought it was the other way round - input shaft dissappears when the clutch is depressed (which seems to make sense as this is when the gearbox is not being given drive), whereas if the noise only occurred when the clutch was down it was the clutch release bearing(when the clutch is under load from the hydraulics)? whichever it is, mine does the same as yours! :wack:

Busky2k
25-01-2006, 09:56
Its definitely input shaft bearing when the noise is there when the foot is off the clutch. Think about it, the input shaft is turning then, and when you put depress the clutch, it isnt, thus no noise!