PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak. Help!!!!!

Mel B
28-11-2005, 18:45
Ive developed an oil leak literally overnight:cry:

Its coming from the front of the engine. The alternator is covered in oil as is the bottom rad hose. Theres now a pool on the floor:eek:
The car is driving fine, temperature fine.

Any Ideas so I can sleep tonight:thumbs:

JJ
28-11-2005, 19:02
Do not know for sure..but sounds that the crank(thing) do not know the english word :eek: is worn....

Keep a good eye on the oil-level....would be a shame to kill the engine due a lack of oil

unipsycho
28-11-2005, 19:07
Not having much luck are you mate :(

Sideways Danny
28-11-2005, 19:11
front crank seal, oil pump to block gasket or loose pressure sender

Mel B
28-11-2005, 19:38
front crank seal, oil pump to block gasket or loose pressure sender

All the gaskets are new as the engines only been together for about 2-3 months.
If i top the oil up in the morning and keep an eye on the level would it be ok to drive?? (about 40 mins drive to work)

Sideways Danny
28-11-2005, 20:36
depends what it is and how fast it's coming out. if it's something that's gonna get worse then at least try to stem the flow and keep it topped up.

Mel B
28-11-2005, 20:42
depends what it is and how fast it's coming out. if it's something that's gonna get worse then at least try to stem the flow and keep it topped up.

OK, thanks danny:thumbs:

Mel B
28-11-2005, 20:43
Not having much luck are you mate :(

Tell me about it. First the cars trying to gas itself with a petrol leak, now its trying to drown itself with an oil leak:whip:

Mel B
29-11-2005, 18:54
Just been to my mates garage and he reckons its the cam shaft oilseals.
We took the cas off to have a look behind it and there was loads of oil in there. Is there any other place the oil could come from to be getting in there? Just want to know before i strip it back and order the seals.
Why do these seals suddenly let go? Is it cold weather?

SX Drifting
29-11-2005, 19:21
It could be the crank oil seal as the belt will carry it around.
They can fail through fitting. If fitted correctly as they are new they should have warranty on them. Where did you get them from?

Mel B
29-11-2005, 20:00
It could be the crank oil seal as the belt will carry it around.
They can fail through fitting. If fitted correctly as they are new they should have warranty on them. Where did you get them from?

Dont ask:no:
Does the engine need to come out to change the crank oilseal?:(

SX Drifting
29-11-2005, 20:03
No it's not too bad a job. the cambelt needs to come off but if it has oil on it you'll want to change it anyway or it will snap.

Mel B
29-11-2005, 20:05
No it's not too bad a job. the cambelt needs to come off but if it has oil on it you'll want to change it anyway or it will snap.

So its not much different to doing the cam oil seals then??

I need to change all the belts there all covered in the black stuff.

Chris
29-11-2005, 20:17
Why do these seals suddenly let go? Is it cold weather?
yeah the seals go hard in cold weather , you can get some seal recondition sh1t but it works by rotting the seals :whip: making them softer :furious: short term measure only :(

Mel B
29-11-2005, 20:19
yeah the seals go hard in cold weather , you can get some seal recondition sh1t but it works by rotting the seals :whip: making them softer :furious: short term measure only :(

so how do i fix it long term??
Does thengine need to come out?:confused:

Chris
29-11-2005, 20:28
so how do i fix it long term??
Does thengine need to come out?:confused:feck no just get some new seals , 2 x cam and 1 x crank + a timing belt , maybe 2 hours work in the garage or 4 in the sticks

Mel B
30-11-2005, 09:41
OK. Cheers for the advice boys.
Ive got some work for the weekend now:thumbs: