PDA

View Full Version : how much will this cost?

rocafella
27-11-2005, 10:54
hey all its my first post so go easy on me,

neways my s13 has started making knocking noises i downloaded the big end sound mp3. thats goin about an it seems the mp3. sounds like my engine so am guessin the big end has gone. but when i bought the car the exhaust manifold to turbo gasket was on its way out would this have something to do with it ? also when i bought the car on tuesay there there was no knocking rattling or that whatsoever jus the tractor sound lol

cheers in advance guys

butcherbrown
27-11-2005, 11:30
get the gaskets done 1st, its a easyish job anyway, when gaskets are blowing they do sound like tractors.

rocafella
27-11-2005, 15:07
i went out today to see if the car would start but to no avail. whats the problem ? will the car not start with a buggered gasket ? it seems to crank over fine and when it does it doesnt have any knocks or rattles so am stumped to what it actually is now

cheers

Parker
27-11-2005, 15:24
The gasket shouldn't stop the car starting. It's worth doing a search for "not starting" as there's already a lot of threads about that with lot of useful help :)

rocafella
27-11-2005, 15:46
cheers i'll try that hundoo

Mel B
27-11-2005, 15:48
cheers i'll try that hundoo

Is it flooded

arry
27-11-2005, 16:41
get the gaskets done 1st, its a easyish job anyway, when gaskets are blowing they do sound like tractors.

that's not how I'd do it. If the Big Ends are fecked there's a likelyhood the engine's gotta come out, which makes fitting gaskets a whole lot easier :wack:

butcherbrown
27-11-2005, 16:54
that's not how I'd do it. If the Big Ends are fecked there's a likelyhood the engine's gotta come out, which makes fitting gaskets a whole lot easier :wack:just thought it would be a bit drastic to take the engine out. as hes not 100% sure it is the big ends.

Parker
27-11-2005, 16:57
Simple way to tell, rev it to 3k and let off sharply. Then listen for the dreaded death rattle...

rocafella
27-11-2005, 21:38
it doesnt start now it but it cranks over fine with a loud ticking noise if it started i would try it but as it doesnt then thats me fooked. goes to garage 2moro to be checked out

sliver
27-11-2005, 22:12
The ticking noise may be the injectors (more like a click).

Being new to it all, the Search feature is a good place to start. However to get you going take a look at this. http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=71555

Also search for and download the workshop manual for the S13, it has diagnosis for non starting. I think Jez Horsham has a link on his www site, linked form the main page.

How many miles have you on the car. Things to note:
60K - Change Cam Belt!
80K - 100K - Bottom ends may go.

Bottom Ends have a wide cost range:
£400 - engine in, budget bearing replacement.
£800 - if damage to crank, engine in / out more complete and thorough job
£1200+ - Rebuild top to bottom.