PDA

View Full Version : Electric fans

Heim
25-11-2005, 15:36
I know this has been discussed loads, but every conversion seems to include adding a new temp sensor. Surely theres alrdy a temp sensor for the vicious fan, cant this be adapted to turn leccy fans on and off?

Hehe just looking for the easiest step-by-step guide for dummys on how to make the change ;).

stoofer
25-11-2005, 15:41
the viscous fan works by the engine turning over.. theres no temp sensor related to it at all, its purely mechanical.

Heim
25-11-2005, 15:48
titty biscuits :(. So you have to bugger around with relays and temp sensors then :/... not my strong point lol

arry
25-11-2005, 15:50
You dont HAVE to - you can just put a simple on/off switch on the dash - but that leaves you the risk of not turning it on when you should :smash:

IMO - even if you have a thermostatically controlled fan - you should have an override switch on the dash somewhere

DanandNath
25-11-2005, 15:56
TBH i run twin pacet fans on my 205 to keeper the bugger cool, both on switches inside the car, i just don't trust thermostatically controlled fans much and if your use to your car over-heating you never take your eyes off the temp gauge lol

Really easy to wire in to a switch on the dash too

big_wig_074
25-11-2005, 16:51
is it absolutely necessary to switch to electric fans when fitting a volvo ic? im just wondering as if its adviseable,but not necessary then it can wait,looks like theres a fair bit of room to fit the ic in there like!
cheers

Escy
25-11-2005, 16:55
you don't need an electric fan with a volvo IC.

big_wig_074
25-11-2005, 16:56
cheers fella! hows yours coming on?saw the pics,shame that,was a nice motor!

SX Drifting
25-11-2005, 16:58
TBH i run twin pacet fans on my 205 to keeper the bugger cool, both on switches inside the car, i just don't trust thermostatically controlled fans much and if your use to your car over-heating you never take your eyes off the temp gauge lol

Really easy to wire in to a switch on the dash too
The S13 temp gauge is very inacurate so I wouldn't trust reading the gauge to switch the fans.
I'll be using a temp switch with mine!!

ScottieS13
25-11-2005, 20:25
the viscous fan works by the engine turning over.. theres no temp sensor related to it at all, its purely mechanical.

not true it is thermostatically controlled.. not with an electronic sensor though so its impossible to use the same method for an electric fan

ATrull
25-11-2005, 20:30
the standard fan is viscous and does not go on or off, it just pulls harder (locks up like a diff) when hot. When cold it doesn't pull as much air per engine cycle as it does hot.

I've got a thermostatic switch now with a 14/15" single fan. the switch is in the lower pipe to only cool the water if the water coming out of the rad is getting toasty. Seems to work nicely - it only comes on if I'm idle and still and toasty. I can provoke it with a little aircon though ;)

stoofer
25-11-2005, 20:52
not true it is thermostatically controlled.. not with an electronic sensor though so its impossible to use the same method for an electric fan

I think you'll find what I said is entirely true.

ScottieS13
25-11-2005, 20:58
there is a bi metalic strip inside the fan which when heated bends and opens allowing the oil inside the fan to flow round causing it to lock up and turn harder when cooled the oil doesnt get in ammongst the teeth allowing it to spin freely without causing drag on the engine. if thats not true then its not a viscous fan its simply a bit of plastic on a pole

stoofer
25-11-2005, 21:04
so me saying theres no temperature sensor and that its purely mechanical is wrong how, then?

ATrull
25-11-2005, 21:06
it's a mechanical temperature sensor.. and not a very smart one, but it works. ;)

now stop having a tiff about bloody labels ;)

ScottieS13
25-11-2005, 21:12
so me saying theres no temperature sensor and that its purely mechanical is wrong how, then?

i was replying to the guy who made the post explaining to him why he couldnt use the old method which works the same way as a thermostat u said there was no temperature sensor which aint really true cos the bi metalic strip is exactly that u made it out as if ther fan just did what it wanted with no regulation.

stoofer
25-11-2005, 21:26
ok.

personally, I dont regard it as a temperature sensor in the same way I dont regard a VLSD as a friction sensor.

ATrull
25-11-2005, 21:28
enough! NOW GO TO THE PUB!

Heim
26-11-2005, 01:47
Aye I get the idea lads. Its either:

ditch the current system.
Stick with the current system
Or make an electric system that works with the vicious system

Thanks for the info though :D