PDA

View Full Version : Update on non-starter

rick150sri
24-11-2005, 14:59
Still can't get the bloody thing started:confused:
Seems to be alot of threads about non-starters etc:eek:
Anyway ECU giving code 55. If I leave it overnight and try starting it with pump fuse out it will fire 2-3 times then nothing. Replace pump fuse still nothing and stinks of unburnt petrol.
With a charged battery the engine doesn't seem to crank very fast. Also noticed when being towed that it wasn't showing a speed. Rev counter is on 0rpm when cranking then jumps up when it tries to fire.
Engine oil is low, don't know if these have a cut off sensor for low oil?
Going to check all the sensors and electrics with a multimeter at the weekend, and check spark, timing etc...
This isn't going to be as easy as I was hoping:annoyed:
Also going to get the spare engine tomorrow so I can rob it of sensors etc
One last thing...its got a dump valve with a thin hose that connects to the plenum on the large nipple that sticks out the side just after the throttle linkage...is this correct?
There is a small nipple just under the linkage that has nothing connected to it...whats supposed to be there?
Will post some pics when I get a chance as there are a few things that are bodged on this engine and I'm new to turbocharged cars.....
Any help greatly appreciated....

voodoo_melon
24-11-2005, 15:13
No low oil cutoff :no:

DV is connected right :nod:

Nipple under the throttle (it's before the throttle plate so no vacuum) should be blocked off. It goes to the carbon can if you have one (facelift only).

Speedo is electronic, not cable operated so it definitely won't work with the ignition off although should work when being towed. Sender is at the back of the gearbox. Iirc my rev counter stayed on 0 when cranking but it's been a few months now since I tried it...

How old are the plugs? What colour are they?

Could be cas plug maybe? Engine won't run if that's unplugged.

ECU plug on properly and bolt done up?

rick150sri
24-11-2005, 15:28
Thanks for the quick reply:thumbs:
Will add them to my list of things to-do :nod:

Tom S13
24-11-2005, 17:07
i had similar problem, temp sensor wire and other sensor wire were mixed up

Kev
24-11-2005, 18:07
try getting a jump start if the battery itself isnt turning the engine fast enough.
The rest, well voodoo answered as i would have, only thing ill say is the speedo is also electric so wont run if ignition is off :)
and rev counter will only go with engine running.
but tbh sounds like a battery problem atm.

pics tell a thousand words :nod:

voodoo_melon
24-11-2005, 21:26
The rest, well voodoo answered as i would have, only thing ill say is the speedo is also electric so wont run if ignition is off :)What I meant to say but worded a bit better :D If you have the ignition on when being towed the speedo will work, if the ignition is off the speedo won't work :thumbs:

Ramps
24-11-2005, 21:41
How long did you try the fuel pump fuse trick for?

I've had mine not start twice (well 3 times including today, but thats a different story:mad: ) in the last 6 months, and both times it's taken over 20 minutes to get the b:censored: d started - fuse in, turn over - fuse out, turn over, and keep repeating. It gets closer and closer to turning over, then eventually fires, and then runs fine for a couple of months :)

Doesn't do the battery or starter any good, but it works for me in the end.:wack:

Obviously could be a different problem with yours, so don't overdo it ;)

voodoo_melon
24-11-2005, 21:54
Ramps how long do you crank it for with the fuse out? With the fuse out crank it for 30 seconds and it should clear it all :) I've not had to do it for more than 5 or 6 seconds myself.

Ramps
24-11-2005, 22:36
Ramps how long do you crank it for with the fuse out? With the fuse out crank it for 30 seconds and it should clear it all :) I've not had to do it for more than 5 or 6 seconds myself.

Longer than 30 seconds at a time :nod:
Maybe there's something more wrong with mine than just flooding, but cos its only happened a couple of times, and then been ok, I haven't spent the time checking. :rolleyes:

Kev
25-11-2005, 02:19
bypassed the hot start solenoid mate?
if not, do so :nod:

Ramps
25-11-2005, 11:45
Yep - I've bypassed mine :nod:

rick150sri
25-11-2005, 14:06
Done some bits today. Removed fan and cowling so I could check the timing. Also removed the dizzy's so I can check them tomorrow....Did notice all the intake pipes were loose but this should'nt affect starting..
Anyway I have posted some pics in a separate thread:thumbs: