PDA

View Full Version : Is this broke? :(

Heim
24-11-2005, 13:06
Ok after a motorway journey last night, I noticed this morning that once the car warmed up, the rad fan would then come on and raise with the revs, especially when I pull off.

On idle its fine, maybe abit lumpier (it counces between 700-900rpm), nothing strange, but when I go to pull off this a loud sort of induction style noise (and its not my induction noise as I can hear this as a seperate noise). I popped the bonnet and revved it and the fan does seem to speed up with the revs.

Now the noise isnt just me, as im now turning ALOT of heads. The sound isnt unpleasent, in fact it does make it sound quite meaty lol, worthwhile 'mod' for the attention seeker ;).

However, any ideas why this is happening? A solouion to fix it aswell would be nice ;).

Cheers

RADS_S13
24-11-2005, 13:10
have you got an electric fan then? becasue the vicous oviously speeds up with the revs of the car. as far as the noise goes I'm thing boost leak or exhaust side leak i.e. manifold to head/ manifold to turbo or turbo to turbo elbow

Heim
24-11-2005, 13:21
Right ok, yeh I have a vicious fan, its just never sounded like this. I just was curious as if I stick my head under the bonnet, and raise the revs, the sound is deffinently coming from that area. So I assumed fan. Could possibly be the boost pipes, I changed the hose clips yesterday, possibly I didnt tighten one enough. I dont think its exhaust side, as I had an old R5 GTT, and during my ownership, that had a blowing exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gasket. Those are different noises, they make the engine sound 'bigger' if you know what I mean. This just sounds like a large volume of air being sucked in.

RADS_S13
24-11-2005, 13:33
Give all the boost pipes a check as its easy for one to come off or to not tighten one up enough I've done it before.

I supose it could be a problem with the vicous unit on the fan but I don't know much about them...

Heim
24-11-2005, 13:38
Will do mate, cheers for the reply. I still think it sounds like the fan mind, as thats a noisy bugger. Can you hear your fan during normal driving? Maybe it used to be broke and is now working! lol :rolleyes:

RADS_S13
24-11-2005, 14:15
Mine sounds louder when first started up as soon as its been running for 30 seconds or so it just engine noise. I'm used to the way the whole lot sounds. but then again the main noise I hear is a NUR Spec-R :D

Heim
24-11-2005, 14:21
also thinking about it, the noise isnt constant. So I beleive this would rule out a boost leak or exhaust wouldnt it? As it would just get louder the higher the revs go. This is just a breif sort of wind up from idle (900rpm) to about 2500rpm(ish) then its just nromal engine noise. The noise sort of resembles turning your in car blowers on full... Its annoying I cant look, but stuck in doors with the young un :(

arry
24-11-2005, 14:40
The fan cowling hasn't fallen into the fan by chance has it?

DeJi
24-11-2005, 14:46
when the engine is cold, can you turn the fan with your hands (engine off obviously :D )? If you can't, then the fan bearing has siezed and the fan moves with the engine all the time which it isn't supposed to be doing. It'll make a strange whoosing sound.. sounds like an old volvo basically :D

Heim
24-11-2005, 14:57
Aha that sounds more like it Deji. Just ran out and checked, I could move the fan with my hand, but it was very very stiff. It wouldnt be able to spin freely etc.

Is this my prob then? Do I need a new fan?

Heim
25-11-2005, 11:34
Just gonna bump this up before I start spending money. Could someone please tell me exactly what part I need to buy. Thanks

DeJi
25-11-2005, 11:56
if you can't spin the fan easily by hand, then the fan bearing is FUBAR. You could probably find an original fan cheap, but if it were me, I'd put an electric fan in there instead. It requires a little modification so if you don't want that, a nice second hand stock fan is your best bet.

Heim
25-11-2005, 12:06
kk thanks alot mate :D. If you wanna pm how to set up an electric fan Ill go do that, otherwise Ill be on the look out for a second hand fan :D. Thanks again