PDA

View Full Version : AFM + Gearbox Question

Heim
24-11-2005, 09:45
Hi again peeps.

Right while the weather was quite mild yesterday I decided to take the advantage and check a few things on the car. As I was going through my list I checked the AFM. Now I was hoping/expecting to see two small silver 'lightbulb style element' wire things (if you get what I mean lol) however when I took it apart the 'top' wire (as in if you turn it round so the wires are facing upwards) looked clean, but was more white than silver. The bottom wire however was caked in black solid 'stuff'. I went to Halfords for some electrical cleaning agent, which they didnt have, but recommended carb cleaner. So I tried that, sprayed it on, and it done sod all, didnt disolve or soften it up at all. Im assuming this is why my car is having hesitation at 4k rpm, any ideas on how to shift the stuff and what to use? Or do I need a new AFM?

Second prob. When I go on motorway journeys, after a good hour or so the gearbox starts to get abit 'whiney'. The noise isnt really loud, but constant and noticeable. I checked the gearbox oil level, and it appeared to be filled up, however I was under the impression gearbox oil was meant to be thick, black and smelly lol. This stuff was quite thin, blackish but not dark, and no real bad smell to it... in fact I have seen worse oil come out of an engine. Could someone have but engine oil in the box rather than gearbox oil? Or would my box have packed up ages ago if that was the case?

Cheers for any help

arry
24-11-2005, 10:25
1) soak it in carb cleaner and the use a cotton bud or similar to clean it VERY GENTLY

2) I'd suggest changing the oil anyway - just to be safe and see if it solves the problem

Heim
24-11-2005, 15:12
Cheers arry :), I think I will do the gearbox oil, just for peace of mind :)

Chris B
24-11-2005, 20:54
Get the diff oil changed too, there isn't much in there :)

Heim
24-11-2005, 23:25
Aye aye cap'n! same oil as gearbox?

Sideways Danny
25-11-2005, 01:00
75/90 in both

Heim
25-11-2005, 08:28
75/90 in both

Thank you sir, songs shall be sung in your honor :D