PDA

View Full Version : will not start after fitting walbro

ISH-i
17-11-2005, 15:31
I just fitted a 255 fuel pump after the old one started making strange sounds. Its about half the size of the bosch i replaced it with.
Anyway, after fitting I went to fire it up and it wanted to go, but couldn't. I checked there was no trapped air in the fuel lines, and that it was not flooded but it still will not go..... any ideas are welcomed!
(its not a boost leak either)

cheers
dave

arry
17-11-2005, 16:06
can you hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition on?

To/fro pipes on back to front?

Did you reconnect the fuel pump connector? :wack:

Check the fuel pump fuse hasn't blown?

Try removing the fuse and cranking her over for a bit, then put the fuse back in - just in case it is flooded.

ISH-i
17-11-2005, 17:06
can you hear the pump priming when you turn the ignition on? yep!

To/fro pipes on back to front? nope!

Did you reconnect the fuel pump connector? :wack: yep!

Check the fuel pump fuse hasn't blown? fine!

Try removing the fuse and cranking her over for a bit, then put the fuse back in - just in case it is flooded. started with fuse out for 1 second then cut out, turned over a few more times then put fuse back in. no worky again!

is it worth giving it a bump start?

Jez
17-11-2005, 17:11
have you got the feed and return lines the right way around?

ISH-i
17-11-2005, 18:06
have you got the feed and return lines the right way around?
yep!

if i mixed up the positive and negative connections, would the pump run in reverse or just blow the fuse?

Jez
17-11-2005, 18:07
it'd prob run backwards

Kev
17-11-2005, 18:29
would be pretty hard to do that on the walbro though as its red to red on the nissan wiring.

my vote is the little filter has come off the pump, they just do nout if u dont fit the filter right.

sliver
17-11-2005, 22:10
i wired mine backwards by mistake and it was not red to red! the pump ran fine backwards. once i had swapped the connections around it worked fine. you can hear it whining if its backwards

ISH-i
20-11-2005, 11:14
the wiring on mine is a green/red (assumed +) and yellow\brown (assumed -) or something like that. i also thought it could be a dead battery- a coincidence with the cold weather. But no, i'll swap the +/- over and see. I wanted to see if someone else had done it first, i dont fancy destroying a brand new pump;)

ISH-i
21-11-2005, 19:21
:cry: still no worky.

i cant hear the fuel pump when turning the ignition on after swapping the wires over, and it still does not start.

Im starting to think its weather-related now, so apart from starter motor and battery are there any other parts on my old-ass car that'd be good to check after this bullet-nipple weather?

cheers
dave

Kev
21-11-2005, 19:25
fuel pump fuse would be a good place to start.
its in the fuse box right beside the battery

ISH-i
24-11-2005, 13:50
the fuse is fine, as is the battery and the car is not flooded. by rights it should work fine but just doesnt fire up.

could it be something more sinister?

the manifold/turbo gasket has been blowing, could this have effected anything?

also where is the starter motor and related solenoid found??

thanks

arry
24-11-2005, 14:01
nah, wouldn't affect starting

Prozac
24-11-2005, 16:51
could you have kinked, twisted or crushed a fuel pipe somewhere during the install ? pull off the fuel feed at the filter and switch on the ignition for a second ... MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO IGNITION SOURCES NEARBY !!!!!! and you will soon know if the fuel is making it to the filter (change the filter while your at it)

playworker
25-11-2005, 08:41
:cry: still no worky.

i cant hear the fuel pump when turning the ignition on after swapping the wires over, and it still does not start.

If you can't hear the pump priming then it's not working dude, Walbro's are pretty loud - I'm also suspicious of the strange wiring colours, I've fitted 2 Walbros and they were both red and black wires...

Who did you buy it from and have you seen this thread:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=182429&highlight=walbro

ISH-i
28-11-2005, 14:05
its definately a real one, stamped and supplied by apex. So it looks like ive ****ed it by wiring it up backwards, so now i need anothe pump and then still have a standstill car :(

also where is the starter motor and related solenoid found??

thanks

any news on the above please?

arry
28-11-2005, 16:00
starter motor is on the passenger side of the gearbox (please ecuse if I've got that wrong, it's on one side or the other but pretty sure its pass :D)

Kev
28-11-2005, 16:19
ur wrong :p
its on drivers side, same as the A bracket u remove to get to it.
ish i, if u have wired it wrong way round, then its as simple as changing the wires round to fix it, its only a motor, so it runs one way or the other, i doubt u would damage it by running it the wrong way

arry
28-11-2005, 16:23
ur wrong :p

Fcuk :annoyed: Of course it is :rant:

sxwanabee
28-11-2005, 16:32
I have had my walbro fitted for a while now but I'm slightly confused. I'm sure I read somewhere that it should be quieter than a normal pump but mine is quite noisy espescially when its priming. I'm starting to think I may have reversed the polarity and its going backwards but the car seems to run okay although I have noticed a slight hesitation when changing up high up the rev range. Should I be able to hear it at all? And as for the colours I just connected like for like? :confused: sorry for the slight hijack I just didnt want to start another walbro thread just for this.
Davie

arry
28-11-2005, 16:33
it's slightly louder, not slightly quieter

Kev
28-11-2005, 16:44
Dave dont worry mate.
uv'e done it right.
and mine is louder than standard, but quieter than bosch.

hestitation on gear changes is either sparks or timing or dv imo

sxwanabee
28-11-2005, 16:51
Thats cleared that up then I think I just like inventing problems for myself :rolleyes:

sliver
28-11-2005, 21:16
Wiring it backward won`t fry it in my experience. Can you hear it running at at all when you turn the ignition to 'on'?

ISH-i
29-11-2005, 13:22
Wiring it backward won`t fry it in my experience. Can you hear it running at at all when you turn the ignition to 'on'?

thats good at least, i can hear it too.

I put a new battery in a couple days ago, now it's 100% dead (i didnt leave th lights on etc). does this indicate towards anything?

ISH-i
29-11-2005, 13:24
a loud clicking noise started coming from (the area of) the relays as the battery was dying. started slow and quiet, then got loud and fast, then slowly died out to silence.
I tried taking apart the one for the ignition coil and broke one of the fine wires off!

voodoo_melon
29-11-2005, 13:29
Sounds like your battery is buggered.

Take the hose from the filter-fuel rail off and stick the end in a bucket then turn the ignition on, if fuel comes out it's wired up the right way and the feed/return pipes are correct too :nod:

ISH-i
29-11-2005, 13:38
Sounds like your battery is buggered.

Fuel pump is working correctly, that bits sorted
Installed a NEW battery couple days ago- must be a power drain somewhere!

but where

voodoo_melon
29-11-2005, 13:47
Installed a NEW battery couple days ago
That doesn't mean it's not fcuked.

ISH-i
05-12-2005, 18:05
a loud clicking noise started coming from (the area of) the relays as the battery was dying. started slow and quiet, then got loud and fast, then slowly died out to silence.
I tried taking apart the one for the ignition coil and broke one of the fine wires off!

The above relay was already broken! There i was trying to find something else wrong. That's why it didnt start.

The fuel pump was not working because the live wire was earthing somewhere along the line, so thats sorted now too.

I wired the live feed up to one of the function switches on the dash, so without that switched on, the pump will not work, kinda like a 2nd immobiliser:cool:

05-12-2005, 18:30
Good idea on the switch, thats what i did on my old XR3i - before anyone rips the arse out of me...it was my first car when i was 17:wack: :D

sliver
05-12-2005, 19:16
So you have got it sorted? Whew....