PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Choice

mal
17-11-2005, 08:25
Looking at replacing my old goose and at the mo, its a toss up between the new goose system or a revised Apex system (with bung and maybe front silencer type pipe). Anyone running these zorsts, and how are the noise levels within the car?

Cheers :thumbs:

Mal

Big G
17-11-2005, 08:34
Noise levels within the car are reasonable to be honest not bad at all, I have the 3" mani back system on my s13 with just the tail pipes :D

If you want to quiet it down a bit then go for the silenced front pipe don't bother with the bung :ghey: it will just rattle continuously and sound crap :nod:

arry
17-11-2005, 11:17
HKS Hyper Mal, you know it makes sense :D

Although I couldn't park last night without waking my neighbours, every time I reversed into this space I set the car behind's alarm off :D

Troy
17-11-2005, 11:23
I have the car alarm problem too.

My neighbours love me.

I set off for London at 3:30 in the morning the other Sunday and although I could not hear any alarms over my exhaust, it looked like Christmas in my rear view mirror with all the flashing orange lights :wack:

I said to James (Cosy) "What is that out the back?" He shouted "nothing, nothing, just keep going QUICK" :wack:

I think exhaust choice depaneds allot on how tollerant your neighbours are :wack:

arry
17-11-2005, 11:26
seriously though Mal, the Apex systems should be alright for you. The mongoose is very noisy at around 70mph I found - my HKS is actually more livable in certain scenarios.

eddie_s13
17-11-2005, 12:56
where in essex are u i know a decent custom exhaust plave in canvey, serious perfectionists

arry
17-11-2005, 13:09
where in essex are u i know a decent custom exhaust plave in canvey, serious perfectionists

he's not far from there. Who are you referring to?

kiruji
17-11-2005, 13:32
I've just fitted a Blitz NUR spec and it sounds luscious, so much nicer than either the Blue Flame (Mongoose) or the Apex system I had fitted previously. It's about the same volume as the Apex one, but it's much deeper and a richer sound :D

eddie_s13
17-11-2005, 14:04
he's not far from there. Who are you referring to?

darkside peformance 01268513000

(bit chavvy i know but fastcar used them for one of there 200sx s13)

alanjuggler
17-11-2005, 16:07
the apex triple box (the one with the front pipe silencer) and a *standard* manifold is livable - more so than the mongoose i found, a lot less 'boomy'

once you move off the standard manifold, even that gets noisy.

mal
17-11-2005, 19:07
darkside peformance 01268513000

(bit chavvy i know but fastcar used them for one of there 200sx s13)

Have you used them yourself mate?

As regards to the apex exhaust, I take it you need to buy the down pipe (silenced or not) and the cat back system for a complete exhaust.

Out of interest, I had the rear box on my old mongoose system replaced with a 4 1/2" single exit silencer and found the following

A) A big improvement on turbo spool up time and much more punchier in the mid range (I'm currently at stage 3 spec) :thumbs:
B) It was so Fecking loud in the car between 2500 and 4000rpm that on a journey of no more than 30 mins my ears were bleeding ( Serious harmonic resonance ) I swear my fillings were being rattled out :down:

Had another silencer fitted and this has quitened it back down to mongoose levels but I now know that the exhaust bore size ( 2.5" ) is restricting the car hence the new exhaust dilemma :nod:

eddie_s13
17-11-2005, 21:12
used tehm for 4 years mate, they are good

mr_reepers13
17-11-2005, 21:28
i run the older apex with the standard s13 d/pipe & just the back box.. and that is very loud!!!! good system tho!

razza987
17-11-2005, 21:35
Had another silencer fitted and this has quitened it back down to mongoose levels but I now know that the exhaust bore size ( 2.5" ) is restricting the car hence the new exhaust dilemma :nod:
I'm facing the same dilemma :)
I had the original 2.25" Goose, but ditched it in a bid for more power/faster spool.
I got the full 3" triple box system from Apex, but have now ditched that as I'm :ghey: and don't like exhausts that loud. The silenced front pipe remains, I'm now trying to decide which direction to go with the system. Very tempted by the 70mm Blue Flame, but also looking at a 2nd hand HKS Hi-power (I believe these are "reasonably" quiet).
Need to make my mind up soon, Bruntingthorpe awaits on the 29th :D
Raz

mal
18-11-2005, 00:22
I'm facing the same dilemma :)
I had the original 2.25" Goose, but ditched it in a bid for more power/faster spool.
I got the full 3" triple box system from Apex, but have now ditched that as I'm :ghey: and don't like exhausts that loud. The silenced front pipe remains, I'm now trying to decide which direction to go with the system. Very tempted by the 70mm Blue Flame, but also looking at a 2nd hand HKS Hi-power (I believe these are "reasonably" quiet).
Need to make my mind up soon, Bruntingthorpe awaits on the 29th :D
Raz

Its a bloody minefield mate :nod:
It seems you can have either reasonably quite or bloody loud.
Quick question, your apex exhaust, was it the latest incarnation (i.e. the one i can buy now) and what did you find unacceptable with the noise - too loud outside/inside or both
I understood that blueflame and mongoose were essentially the same company and the 70mm exhaust is also available from mongoose with a choice of either 5" round or 6*4" oval end pipe, dunno how they compare with the old version though :confused: . Did a search and a couple of people on the board have them and say they're good!

NeilF
18-11-2005, 07:47
Looking at replacing my old goose and at the mo, its a toss up between the new goose system or a revised Apex system (with bung and maybe front silencer type pipe). Anyone running these zorsts, and how are the noise levels within the car?

Cheers :thumbs:

Mal

Out of interest why are you replacing it?

pauldudley
18-11-2005, 08:06
http://www.darksideperformance.co.uk/

web site & forum

arry
18-11-2005, 08:10

becomes a bit restrictive at stage3

Mal - for reference, if you have the old style mongoose pipework it's only 2.25inch bore, not 2.5

mal
18-11-2005, 09:17
becomes a bit restrictive at stage3

Mal - for reference, if you have the old style mongoose pipework it's only 2.25inch bore, not 2.5

Oh sweet jesus, didn't realise it was that small, no wonder its restrictive at stage 3 :eek:

If you see a 200sx about with a shiny balloon tied to the back, that'll be me, with my hot gas inflated back box then :wack:

eddie_s13
18-11-2005, 09:33
http://www.darksideperformance.co.uk/

web site & forum

cheers fella somehow its down at moment but looking into it now

mal
18-11-2005, 10:33

Neil, whats started this ball ache was when I replaced the rear box, even with restricted pipe diameter of 2.25", fitting a free flow silencer made a BIG improvement to turbo response and hence a dam sight less laggy and its highlighted the fact that my current exhaust is holding the car back.
If you think of it logically, then mongoose designed their original exhaust to replace the standard fair with a car producing 169BHP to give some improvement to power/torque, I doubt they envisaged they would have to cope with excess of 280 and a far higher air flow when a T28 is blowing :nod:

alanjuggler
18-11-2005, 10:51
:nod: the small bore of the mongoose is why i changed to the apex triple box.

mal
18-11-2005, 21:14
anyone local to me (south essex) with a triple box apex system that I could pop round to have a look and listen too :confused:

mal
18-11-2005, 23:40
have a look here (http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=152520)

I have the old style apex single box cat back and im about to put a jetex silencer (http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/custom_parts.php?mat=Aluminised&dia=3.0+inch) in the mid section..
was going to do it today but feck me its a bit too cold be rolling about on the garage floor :wack: :ghey:

Would appreciate some feed back on this thread when you've done it mate, try running your car for 5 mins before you tackle it and hey presto you'll either have nice, warm toasty hands or no finger prints if you over do it :D

Kev
19-11-2005, 03:15
Im also in a similar dilemma.

goose is now gone :(
because of restictive size.
Now i have heard the old apex system and hated it, but sambo loves it.
Alan the juggler ;) has said the new triple box was comparable to the goose at light throttle, which sounded good, but i now notice Alan that ur saying fitting a tube mani has made it louder, i take it by that u mean too loud mate?

2 Black Lines
19-11-2005, 20:40
Now i have heard the old apex system and hated it,

You seemed to like it on my car:nod:

:wack:

Kev
20-11-2005, 02:38
no i didnt, just liked how raw the v8 sounded through it :p

alanjuggler
20-11-2005, 06:03
yes, it's muchhhhhh louder now, it's not too loud, still, part throttle at 2krpm it's _still_ quieter than the mongoose.

but at idle it's a lot louder (there's actually a lot of velocity to the smoke coming out the exhaust now, instead of just sort of floating upwards, it *shoots* backwards :D )

and when you open it up, by god. :D

to be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find an exhaust that'll give you the same price/noise/performance as the apex triple, it's still not unbearable. (for me anyway, and i'm pretty sensitive :ghey: )

Kev
20-11-2005, 09:45
cheers mate, just what i wanted to hear :thumbs:

mal
20-11-2005, 23:04
yes, it's muchhhhhh louder now, it's not too loud, still, part throttle at 2krpm it's _still_ quieter than the mongoose.

but at idle it's a lot louder (there's actually a lot of velocity to the smoke coming out the exhaust now, instead of just sort of floating upwards, it *shoots* backwards :D )

and when you open it up, by god. :D

to be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find an exhaust that'll give you the same price/noise/performance as the apex triple, it's still not unbearable. (for me anyway, and i'm pretty sensitive :ghey: )

How did you find the fit of the exhaust? I know that the welding and craftmanship is second to none but I have heard a couple of people mention that it can hang a bit low under the car, not good on a lowered car although I appreciate that the way its fitted can have a big influence on this :nod:

alanjuggler
21-11-2005, 06:54
well, put it this way - last night, being winched onto the low loader, it only scraped a tiny bit on the very last bit of the backbox.

i had a bit of trouble with the gearbox mount but a few minutes with a big pair of pliers.. that was moved a bit to where it should be.

mal
21-11-2005, 14:28
Alan,

So it doesn't hang Unnecessarily low under the car then?

I know that may seem like a dumb question after your answer but I was referring to the ground clearence of the exhaust along the underside of the car only I guess most peoples back boxes would scrap on a low loader if they have lowered cars.
cobblers, even that doesn't sound right, hope you get what I mean

big_mac
21-11-2005, 14:49
pussies, get a nur spec and take the bung out.

you gotta hear my car on full chat :D:D:D

DLowe
21-11-2005, 15:36
I had the newest mongoose about 2 months ago, they are made up the road from me, 3 inc into a 5 inch can small front box, not loud just really deep sounds awsome

Kev
21-11-2005, 16:32
dlowe, think u will find that 2+ 3/4" not 3":)

Alan, why were u getting winched onto a low loader:(

BadassSX
21-11-2005, 18:09
I also have the new mongoose and i think its awsome, neighbor friendly at tickover, rumble on motorways, roars on WOT! should also be fine for trackdays ect....

The "new" goose is actually bigger than 2+3/4........ 76mm is 3" and the new goose is 70mm bore... :)

Kev
21-11-2005, 18:50
erm does that not make it 2+3/4" ??
cos if 76mm is 3" then an inch is 25.3mm well its not but close enough really.
so if an inch is 25.3, then a quarter of that would be 6.3mm
so 76 -6.3= 69.7 so for arguements sake 70mm :)

the figures arnt exact obviously, but the general feeling is that 70mm is seen as 2+3/4" :)

Sideways Danny
21-11-2005, 19:00
I agree with Kev, it's not quite as big as 3 inches. the blueflame systems are going for good money on ebay now. look for seller JWR (john woolfe racing) they're local to me and I'd trust them completely, they've sold hotrod andf yank parts round here for 20 years

alanjuggler
21-11-2005, 19:13
i was being winched onto a low loader after an aborted mapping session at jez's after finding petrol pissing out of my injectors. looks like the seals are dead.

ugh.

but yeah, it doesnt hang too low or anything.

Kev
21-11-2005, 19:15
sorry to hear that mate, guess that was the prob u were having then :(

alanjuggler
21-11-2005, 19:20
jez was just starting to work his magic too, was starting to feel a lot nicer. turns out the safety map i had was very safe. it was running about 11:1 AFR on cruising from what i remember. just started leaning it out, wondering why it still stank of fuel. puddles of optimax gathering round the inlet.

then it was a 5 hr journey home. :rolleyes:

finally found a nissan dealership local to me who know what my car is and dont need FAST part numbers though, so that's a bonus.

ill have a thread up soon with pics :D

mal
22-11-2005, 11:09
A BIG Thanks to you all gents for some sound advice :clap: ...................................... Get it!!!!! :D

Out of interest, my old system will be up for sale very soon (look out for thread in for sale section) so if anyone is after a budget stainless exhaust drop us a PM :nod:

Cheers Fellas :thumbs:

arry
22-11-2005, 11:15
A BIG Thanks to you all gents for some sound advice :clap: ...................................... Get it!!!!! :D

No - what was so funny? :confused:

mal
22-11-2005, 22:29
No - what was so funny? :confused:

Sound advice, SOUND ADVICE, OH NEVER MIND :rolleyes:

Arry, you still being kind to my clutch? :D

Kev
23-11-2005, 02:13
erm. im gonna go out on a limb here and say he got it Mal, that was why the :wack:

;)

arry
23-11-2005, 08:53
No, I really am that stupid Kev :wack:

Your clutch is holding up fine Mal - since the car isn't being used :( (fcuking exhaust studs :rant: )

mal
23-11-2005, 18:05
No, I really am that stupid Kev :wack:

Your clutch is holding up fine Mal - since the car isn't being used :( (fcuking exhaust studs :rant: )

:D :D :D lol

Sorry to hear about the car :( done/doing anything to get em out? got some bits and bobs at work which I could borrow which might be able to get the blighters out

arry
23-11-2005, 18:06
:D :D :D lol

Sorry to hear about the car :( done/doing anything to get em out? got some bits and bobs at work which I could borrow which might be able to get the blighters out
nah done nothing with it yet mate, not had the time nor the inclination

Don't think I'll be repairing it. The RR day on Sat was supposed to be it's swansong, but I guess that little 4 mile trip to Orpington it did last saturday will have to be it's goodbye instead :(

mal
23-11-2005, 18:13
is it drivable or have too many gone?

arry
23-11-2005, 18:15
it's driveable, just sounds like a tank.

The top stud on the number 4 mani has snapped and the gasket is blowing real bad. The downpipe had lost a bolt entirely as well as ratling the nut off another one so that gasket is going too.

Generally just cant be arsed to fix it :indiff: Fcuking thing has cost me loads over the last few weeks :annoyed:

mal
23-11-2005, 18:20
thats an awkward one to get to if you've got abs, listen mate if you if you wanted to pop round thurs eve, could always have a bash at it so that cinderella could go to the ball after all :nod:

arry
23-11-2005, 18:21
I cant mate I'm afraid, got friends over from Germany tomorrow morning until Saturday morning - which means I'm all outta time :cry:

Appreciate the offer though :thumbs:

mal
23-11-2005, 18:22
no worries, offer still stands if you want to do it another time

arry
23-11-2005, 18:23
no worries, offer still stands if you want to do it another time

ok mate, I'll have a think about it over the weekend. I might wait 2 weeks and see what my renewal quote comes in at, if that doesn't come down significantly there'll deffo be no s13 next year :wack:

:thumbs:

mal
23-11-2005, 18:26
ok mate, I'll have a think about it over the weekend. I might wait 2 weeks and see what my renewal quote comes in at, if that doesn't come down significantly there'll deffo be no s13 next year :wack:

:thumbs:

If you've been truthful with the mods, I doubt it :no:

arry
23-11-2005, 18:29
If you've been truthful with the mods, I doubt it :no:

Yeah it's all declared. I'm hoping since I've now got 3 years NCD, and I've officially got old by turning 25 AND getting married :wack: it will come down

We'll see :wack:

IIvIIitch
23-11-2005, 19:16
just fetched a hks hyper off zxspectrum :thumbs: just wondering what sort of a sound to expect, will it wake the dead :wack:

mal
23-11-2005, 22:54
just fetched a hks hyper off zxspectrum :thumbs: just wondering what sort of a sound to expect, will it wake the dead :wack:

Arrys your man for this seeing as he's got one fitted. I drove his car a little while ago and I don't recall it being too loud on the move but TBH wasn't really paying attention to exhaust as I was interested in other things

Mal

mal
21-12-2005, 14:29
Just to finish this thread off, I ended up with the new mongoose system with 5" slash tail pipe, got it off e-bay for £293 delivered (amber performance). Heres what I've found

Construction: Welding is pretty good, all joints are flanged so you're gonna need some M10 bolts. Fit is excellent, doesn't catch or rub anywhere - exhaust exits central to the bumper aperture at a slight angle

Noise: It is more noisy than the old mongoose system but livable.........just.
Cant comment if its noisier/quiter than apex triple box system as I've not heard one

Performance: Turbo spools up much quicker and gives a big improvement in mid range punch, turbo making a bit more boost also, got to say that the car really flies now and is much nicer to drive, although that could have something to do with the fact that my gearbox mounting is getting past its best and since the exhaust is bolted to this mounting its actually helping to steady the transmission

In general, bloody chuffed with it and recommend one if your running a T28 :thumbs:

Will get a photo and post it on this thread shortly

Pete C
21-12-2005, 14:46
I'm getting near enough 300bhp on a Mongoose, Jezz_S13 managed 322bhp on one and IIRC that wasn't even a complete run because the car overheated.

Personally, I had toyed with the idea of changing but I like the old 'Goose too much and I don't want any more power from this engine anyway :)