PDA

View Full Version : more engine problems

DaveCollins
16-11-2005, 16:49
My engine's been smoking on and off for a few months now, but not too bad (maybe 1 litre of oil per 1000+ miles).

Today it did something new. On the motorway in 5th at 70mph, put my foot down to accelerate and it just kicked a load of smoke out of the exhaust and refused to go any faster :( . I couldn't even hear the turbo trying to spool up. A few seconds later, all was fine again, although I think it's backfiring abit more now.

I know a couple of cylinders are low on compression (125, 125, 120, 95 psi) and have been meaning to get it to a garage to get the head looked at (hopefully valves not seating? :confused: ) and at worst new rings.

Does this sound pretty bad? I need to use the car for a 70 mile round trip to work so will have to drive it, but should I take it easy, and any idea what this might be?

VeilsideS13
16-11-2005, 17:35
Have you checked to see if you have oil in your water or water in your oil?

Sounds a lot like your head gasket could be leaking to me but I could be wrong. I'd get it checked soon though as my head gasket is costing me the best part of £900 to do. Granted that is with an ARP Stud kit and metal gasket but its seriously something that needs looking at ASAP before the thing stops working altogether like mine did!!

Sorry to frighten you but don't learn the way I did!!

DaveCollins
16-11-2005, 17:41
I wondered about that, but it's been burning abit of oil for months and I haven't had water in oil or vice versa yet. I'll have a look tomorrow at work (when it's light and I can see what I'm doing). I'll also check the water level, etc. to see if anything different has happened as a result of the loss of power today, and post back 2moro.