PDA

View Full Version : Conrod techy info - Carillo

2 Black Lines
15-11-2005, 19:49
Might be of interest to some on here:
http://www.carrilloind.com/pdfs/10777_eprint.pdf

Kev
16-11-2005, 01:50
thats quite interesting Gordon, but here is the question...............

do U have a stretch guage?
cos i dont, and if u do, u will be showing me it in the next couple of months ;)

tDR
16-11-2005, 07:07
We measured rod bolt stretch with a bodged stretch gauge - a vernier gauge onto the assembled rod / end cap, with a narrower bolt into the recess to contact the rod bolt. Measure the length of your narrower bolt before hand to deduct from what you get when measuring the assembled rod / end cap. Obviously you measure the rod bolt before hand too or you won't know how much it's stretched :wack:

It was more an experiment than anything, as we are using Carillo A-Beam rods (as in that article) and the tech sheet that came with them went on about measuring stretch as well. It also gave a torque figure to use so we wanted to see what difference there was if any. The torque was something like 55lb/ft which tied in with the stretch values when measured (and we tried 3x different wrenches to eliminate calibration errors as all wrenches agreed with each other lol).

Don't think it's so important to measure stretch, especially with new rod bolts - I think it's more that rod manufacturers like Carillo want another get out clause so to speak. Which is fair enough I suppose.

Cheers,

Bri.