PDA

View Full Version : can any one help?

russ200
14-11-2005, 15:01
right then people how much of a job is it to clean of refurb lifters or is it a new set only ?

Jeffers_S13
14-11-2005, 15:06
I was just doing this at the weekend, there are places that will strip and clean them for you for about £2 each, sideways danny has mentioned them a few times. More fun to do it yourself :)

Pull the part that actually rests on the valve top out of the lifter with a pair of pliers and then retrieve tha cap, dismantle the plunger and spring arrangement and wash it all in thinners or some sort of degreaser, then push it all back together. If you dont want to dismantle them you can try soaking them all in degreaser and then squeeze them in a vice carefully and repeat till they are nice and free by resoaking and re-squeezing. Be careful not to squeeze them too much as you can jam them up, so you will need to dismantle them anyway and pull them apart and unjam the plunger.

James

russ200
14-11-2005, 15:10
thanx for that how long did it take you to do ?
Is it a case of strip down engine or can it be done in car as i will need car to be running same day?

Jeffers_S13
14-11-2005, 15:14
Well if you want it all done in a day and if you havent delved before you may be pushing it a little. To get to the lifters means you got to take the cams off, ergo the cam belt etc. It can all be done in situ though and it will be possible to do it in a day if you start early :smash:

russ200
14-11-2005, 15:21
ok then i have new cam belt ( end of month ) on order plus playworker needs his doing also so could do both in a weekend as playworker knows a fair bit on the engine itself so maybe, cheers for the help more then welcome to come and help as your not that far away from telford?

Jeffers_S13
14-11-2005, 15:26
Sorry, Ive got enough to be going on with myself at the mo :) best bet is to ask on here with pics if you get stuck. Or bring your bits to a midweek meet for perusal and pissta...advice :thumbs:

russ200
14-11-2005, 15:29
ok thanx mate will have a go