PDA

View Full Version : Waste Gate..

Baker0
14-11-2005, 10:04
On a none modified s13 can you normally here the waste gate?

If not is there away to make some noise from it? I like to know when the turbos kicking in.

Cheers
Baker0

Mel B
14-11-2005, 10:22
On a none modified s13 can you normally here the waste gate?

If not is there away to make some noise from it? I like to know when the turbos kicking in.

Cheers
Baker0
If the car is standard then you probably wont here the chattering. The airbox and all the gubbings restrict the airflow and sound.

You will only here the wastegate during gearchanges and when letting the throttle off ( When the cars on boost Above about 2750-3000rpm). This will sound like a fluttering/chattering noise or as is known on here the "pidgeon"

do a search on here as you can modify your standard box with a few choice holes to get the same sort of effect as a induction kit. :thumbs:

Sphinx
14-11-2005, 10:22
You cant hear an internal wastegate, if you did, you'd be in trouble lol You would hear an external wastegate tho but they are not standard on S13's.
As for knowing when the turbo is kicking in, you should feel that, and judging by other posts they kick in at 3200rpm.

Oh and also, if your thinking of chatter, thats not the wastegate 'fluttering' like a lot of people get confused with, its charge air bouncing off the closed the throttle plate and reverberating. :)

Mel B
14-11-2005, 10:31
Oh and also, if your thinking of chatter, thats not the wastegate 'fluttering' like a lot of people get confused with, its charge air bouncing off the closed the throttle plate and reverberating. :)

I new my explanation was shite :smash:

Sphinx
14-11-2005, 10:44
lol I was quite surprised at it myself acctually :D
i most of the time dont explain good :wack: