PDA

View Full Version : Swapping standard stereo

Wak
31-07-2002, 07:12
Hi guys

I'm changing the standard cassette player in my s13 for a Sony CD/tuner. I've connected all the wires up and as far as I can see I've done it right, but the damn thing won't work! The only thing that works is the ariel, which extends as soon as I plug the loom into the unit whether the ignition is on or not. The only thing I haven't connected is the ariel co/ax as I don't have the right adaptor.

The sony unit has a connection for an earth, but there isn't one in the car loom. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems that the standard stereo earths through the ariel.

Am I correct in this assumption? If so will the stereo work when I get the ariel connector? or should I connect the earth wire from the stereo to the car?

Your advice would be much appreciated

DanS14
31-07-2002, 09:49
Your assumption is correct. get the aerial adaptor and you'll be away.

Wak
31-07-2002, 10:00
Cheers mate, adaptor is 3 days away:( the guy where I bought the stereo recommended running a seperate earth anyway so I'm gonna try that. At least then I should be able to listen to cds if not the radio.:)

He said having 2 earths would be ok - do you agree?

DanS14
31-07-2002, 12:08
Nothing wrong with two earths for the head unit.

Some cars wiring harnesses do not earth properly which is why some stereos come with a little screw on the back to attach a separate earth. My kenwood in my old peugeot needed this extra earth to work but was not necessary in the S14a.

Always make sure your amp(s) have a very good earth, it can really affect the performance.

Had the same symptoms as yours when I had the Sony in previously in my nissan. Earths through aerial.

Wak
01-08-2002, 07:04
Thanks for your help - earthed it an it worked fine :D

Waveydavey
07-11-2009, 17:55
where do i get a connector for the ariel? looked halfords but noting for a two pin into one pin adapter, for now i sorted a different ground so i can listen to cd's but want the radio too.

cheers.