PDA

View Full Version : pics anyone?

Si T
30-07-2002, 10:43
Anyone got any pics of their installs in S14s? (primarily the boot). Wouldn`t mind having a nosey at what some of you have done. I`ve got an Alpine CD, Phoenix Gold 4 channel amp and JL components sat in a box doing nowt - I`m curious how some of you have got some proper bass into your cars.

Daniel san
30-07-2002, 18:48
No pics I'm afraid but there's a few ways to do it.

You can mount infinate baffle subs into the rear shelf, which will of course need strengthening. Or you can have a box/enclosure made to fit the boot and use the holes in the shelf that the rear speakers occupied to vent the bass into the cabin. Obviously you can make these holes bigger or make more of them if you wish, but I don't think you need to really.

You could try the JL Audio IB series of subs for the shelf idea.

btw, which amp have you got? I've got the SX4600 which sounds really good, even with the stock fronts.

Si T
31-07-2002, 06:39
Cheers for the reply Dan, the amp is the ZX450
http://www.sound-in-motion.com/images/products_pic_ampliiers.gif

What size IB subs do ya reckon you could squeeze into the rear deck? I would`ve thought 8s wouldn`t be too much work but how about 10s?:cool:

Daniel san
31-07-2002, 09:31
Yeah, 10's can be done easy enough.

DanS14
31-07-2002, 09:55
I'm putting my amps under the front seats (hopefully fit!) and just a boxed 12 in the boot. Looked at attaching amps to back seat but there was very little clearance or room to vent them. Also looked at placing them on that raised part at the back of the boot. Even if it was safe to drill into, you can't get a drill in there to do it!

I'm not putting in my 4 channel amp yet. Its a Rockford Punch 400a4. Is it worth putting in with the standard speakers or will they just fry?

Si T
31-07-2002, 10:51
DanS14, the raised part of the boot is the fuel tank so it`s probably a good move not to drill it. Also you have to be aware of any clearance your amps heatsinks need when mounting `em under the seats e.g. my amp has a built in fan and requires a few clear inches of air to work properly so mounting it under the seat would be out of the question (plus ya can`t see it!... damn thing cost enough, I wanna show it off a bit)
Secondly, it is worth putting the amp in just be careful not to fry your existing speakers, make sure the "gains" are set to their least sensitive.

Dan_Blitzed, what`ve you got in yours then?

Diddn
31-07-2002, 14:12
I'll try and get a picture tonite of my install.
Still a bit of carpetting to do, but its nearly there. I have to replace the standard grey carpet with black.

Diddn
31-07-2002, 19:17
Here's one.

Diddn
31-07-2002, 19:18
And Another!

Daniel san
31-07-2002, 20:16
Si, I haven't got around to it yet, but I know what I'm going to do.

At present, I've got: Nakamichi MB100 6 disc Head Unit with off board DAC (using XLO Ultra 1 digital cable), Phoenix Gold XS4600 4ch amp, Stinger 4gauge Power Cable, Phoenix Gold RCA cable, XLO speaker cables.

The plan is for a decent set of components up front, like MB Quart or Focal, or maybe Boston Acoustics. Then some JL Audio IB8's in the rear shelf, with the option to run a boxed 10 in the boot, which is removable. The instal will make the boot completely free to use as required and won't weigh the car down too much, so 1/4's can still be decent times;)

dano
01-08-2002, 07:14
thats lookin good didin, but aint gunna do much for the handling. loads of oversteer me thinks.

does look coolnice one!

dano
01-08-2002, 07:15
dont be silly guys and cut the metal shelf of your car. its what gives it strength.

Diddn
01-08-2002, 07:21
Dano, whole system weighs in around 60 Kilo's, so its not that heavy. A bit like carrying a small passenger in the back.
In fact, I find the car far more stable in the rear end with the sound system in. When its out, the rear feels light and floaty, and I get more fish tailing on hard acceleration. I have to try quite hard to get oversteer.

DanS14
01-08-2002, 12:30
Didin is your insurance more expensive, seeing as you must qualify as being disabled. Being deaf and all! Looks like a powerful system.

My rockford amps (or indeed most rockfords?) are quite small for the power they put out. Think I will still have good enough clearance under the seats for ventilation. They don't tend to get that hot anyway.

About the fuel tank, realised thats where it was!!

Used to have my previous install (previos car) on dispaly like yours but amps mounted vertically to allow whole boot to free. 200 boot is much smaller than my old car so wanted the least possible componentry in the boot. So just the changer will be going in there.

Still contemplating putting the 4 channel amp in. Thing is I can't really be arsed to find the old standard speakers to fit back into my old car. Really ought to remove the focal components from the old car, they cost me a bomb! Polykevlar components. Think they are the same size fitment. 6.5"??

Diddn
01-08-2002, 13:06
Problem is Dans14, Small amps that run high power tend to heat up quite a lot, esp if they are running low impedance. So that they don't over heat and shut down, you need to install it somewhere which has a lot of airspace or ventilation.
IMO, I don't think there is enogh of either under the seats, which may cause overheat problems.
I'm running 2 DLS A3 amps which are configured differently. One in standard 2 channel 4 ohm, and the other Bridged Mono 1 Ohm. The amp in Bridged Mono runs a fair bit hotter that the other. You might think that mine are boxed away under perspex so theres no airspace, but I have them externally fan cooled which makes up for more than the air space they need to cool in.
Just a thought before you start installing.
If its boot space you're worrying about, apart from the space taken up from the subs, I've only lost about 6 inches in depth of boot space, So I can still carry home the shopping from Sainsburys. ;)

DanS14
01-08-2002, 22:44
I'm being lazy this time for my install and having it put in while Im at a bbq having a beer. I will discuss with them on Sat morning about the ventilation requirements, which is when they will be fitting it. Pretty sure it will be ok, ,otherwise maybe a couple of fans out of the maplin catalogue will cool it!!
They did a full install on a 200sx a while back. Apparently the guy wrote it off the next day. :(

Are you coming to the meet on Sunday in Guildford?

Diddn
02-08-2002, 07:39
Nope, Not coming to the meet - promised mother in law to redecorate the living room this weekend!
Let us know how the install goes.

DanS14
02-08-2002, 10:11
Go for a modern minimalist design.

You'll be finished by Saturday lunchtime!

Still having dilemma about my Rockford Punch 4 channel amp. Pretty sure I won't have it put in tomorrow. Can't really afford to at the moment. Decent wiring to the doors is a bit of a mare I've heard. Also I was never too happy with the clarity of the rockford, even though it was very punchy (excuse the pun) {500w RMS @12.4v into 4 channels). Think instead I may sell it and look for something more musical.
Loved my old Kenwood 846 before it was stolen, Alpines sound very clear too. Any recommendations? Not oo expensive though, student loan won't cover everything! I like adjustable toys/gimmicks too, so if you can think of an amp......

Diddn
02-08-2002, 10:44
500W RMS x 4 :eek:
The last 2000W amp I saw was like 2.5 foot long!!! You sure you don't mean 50W x4?? Or is the 500W divided into four channels so 125W x4?

Recommending an amp is something which is dependant on first of all budget, and secondly, quality you're looking for.
You can spend £300 on a Kenwood/alpine 4x100W - or £1500 on a Diamond 4x35W and the Diamond will sound so much better that the cheap one. More power doesn't always mean better sound.
Its also a matter of matching up to what you have installed already. Get a decent amp of cheapo speakers or vice versa, you'll end up with inferior sound which you'll never be happy with.

In the past I started off with Kenwood amps, then went to Alpine. Both makes I would recommend for a small-ish budget. Have never used Sony or rockfords, so can't really comment on sound quality.
Now I'm using DLS amps which are Swedish and the best I've heard for the price.
American Amps are usually very good too.
I'm probably not being much help here am I? ;)

Best advice is to listen to other people's setup in there cars and go for something that you like the sound of. Thats what I did and now I'm :D

One recommendation I would make is, don't spend a lot of money on rear speakers and use it for the fronts and subs instead.
You don't need much sound coming from the back, so you can run the standard speakers off the HU and that would suffice.
You can get a 4 channel amp, use 2 channels to amp the front speakers, and bridge the other 2 channels to run a sub. To go a step further, get a dedicated amp for the fronts and one for the sub.

DanS14
02-08-2002, 11:22
Sorry I meant 500w split 4 ways! Almost sounded like a max muppet before quoting crap!
Its quite nice how Rockford give you a test certificate with every amp produced..they always outperform what it says on the box.

I've had quite a few installs in the past and experimented with the mentioned alternatives.

Thought you knew what I have sitting waiting to be used?
I have a dedicated Rocky power series sub amp to power my dual voice coil rocky 12" power series sub. That is what is definately going in tomorrow along with my kenwood ps series changer (the GOLD one!!)
Also to come out of the old car...6.5" Focal Polykevlar components.

Ahh, was thinking about putting one set of focals in the doors. Do you think I will be able to put the replacement tweeter in the standard position on the A pillar??

I've heard DLS are excellent..prices?

Si T
02-08-2002, 12:22
your tweets are better off down near the 6.5" driver angled up and in to give better imaging. Not had a look inside the doors yet to see if there`s any possibility of angling the 6.5 inchers a bit

Diddn
02-08-2002, 13:16
So you're sorted for Bass then. Cool.
The space where the standard tweeter is is fairly tight.
On my previous install, I had a set of Kenwood Dual Mags 6.5" and the tweeter was small enough to go in the stock position.
Now with the Diamond setup, I had to relocate the tweeter in the doors next to the mid for a few reasons.
1. The tweeters are quite powerful and would be too loud at head level in the stock positions.
2. They are too large to fit in the stock positions.
3. For best sound image, its best to keep the tweeter as close as possible to the mid.
4. They look cool in the doors next to the mid. ;)

Check the piccy here:
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=125880

The DLS amps are awesome for the price. probably the best you can get in the price range. The A3's retail at £650. They're 2 channel, bridgable, 1 ohm stable.

If you've got the budget, these are the babies to go for!

DanS14
02-08-2002, 14:54
Gulp! And the 4 channel?

Prob way out of my price range.

Door tweeters look lovely by the way.

I'll have a look at mine over the weekend, although might not have too much time cos I have to fit a starter motor to my old car.

Do the A pillar tweeter grills pop out easily?

Diddn
02-08-2002, 15:48
The 4 channel (DLS A4) is £850 but less powerful as you can't bridge all the channels together. I think the best you can get out of the 4 channel is 500W x2 into 1 ohm.
The A3 bridged into 1 ohm is 1200W RMS which I'm splitting into 2 10" subs.

The little grills are dead easy to pop out. Take the a pillar thing off an the grill has four prongs bent over the back to secure it. Just straighten the and the grill pops off.

Si T
05-08-2002, 06:41
Cheers for the replys lads, anyway I had a little jaunt to SQ Plus on Saturday and had a chat to Phil Leech who reckons the best way to go is a pair of 10" Diamonds in a small box ontop of the petrol tank...... cars booked in for the end of the month.

Scottie
05-08-2002, 10:43
Si, whereabouts is SQ Plus, is it quite close to Warrington ?

Cheers.

Si T
05-08-2002, 10:58
Scottie, it`s on and Industrial Estate right behind the Trafford Centre. Had a couple of lovely demo cars - an EVO 5 with quite a few screens in it plus a Plymouth Prowler that looked wicked.

http://www.sqplus.com/htdocs/img/installs/LO/SideSmall.jpg

http://www.sqplus.com/htdocs/img/installs/HI/GirlsBig.jpg

Si T
05-08-2002, 11:03
just like to add that the fanny wasn`t there tho:( :( :(

Scottie
05-08-2002, 11:09
Originally posted by Si T
just like to add that the fanny wasn`t there tho:( :( :(

Damn, better take my coat back off then :D

Was going to go this lunchtime :)

DanS14
05-08-2002, 11:12
Ok the bass amp and changer are in.
Sounds really nice.

Got to sort out stopping the bass box from flying round the boot though!
The grey boot carpet slips easily on the wooden cover over the spare. So might glue the carpet to the wood to stop that sliding.
If the box then moves on the carpet I guess I'll have to bracket it or something.

Did not have the 4 channel put in, but had the power distribution box put in, ready to serve the next amp.

DanS14
06-08-2002, 15:46
I've now glued the carpet to the wooden board that covers the spacesaver.
So the carpet does not slip at all now. The amp box now seems to be sitting tight (either that or I miraculously do the same amount of left and right turns whenever I drive anywhere, leaving the box in the original place!)

I had a bit of a vibration too on the parcel shelf, so today I used a roll of "Brown Bread" sound deadening stuff to fix it.
I put strips on the top of the metal parcel shelf, on the underside of the fibre board that holds the speaker grills, around the plastic trim that surrounds the entry to the boot from the inside and finally the rest I put on the bottom of the board that covers the spare.

Result: No rattles!!

I have noticed though that if you lift the board covering the spare and tap the metal each side of the spare....the left side twangs but the right is pretty solid.
Sound deadening these may be worthwhile...or help a bit if your exhaust is too loud!!

Also (last point honest), decided to sell the rockford 4 channel and buy a Genesis Amp. Apparently they are better sounding than the equivalent DLS although not as powerful. (According to the shop I was in) Ahh lovely girl working the till too, swoon!

Diddn
06-08-2002, 16:58
Cool on the Sound deadening.
I've done the entire spare wheel well already!
Yes, I've heard that Genesis Amps are very good. Same sort of league as DLS and the like. How they sound and whether its "Better" than the DLS is down to personal opinion, what speakers they are driving and what the car acoustics are like.
Make sure you don't buy from a place that are simply trying to promote the product they are authorised to sell.
Its always best to listen to a few before making a decision on a purchase. No point in going on someone else's opinion.
Remember, you get what you pay for at the end of the day!

DanS14
06-08-2002, 23:19
Yup agree on all accounts.

Want to go and listen in the shop to the Genesis amp..after all it will give me another chance to say hello to the lovely lady.

There happens to be a gorgeous girl working in my local dealership too, and I'm having my car serviced on monday!! Although I only saw her briefly when I was originally looking at their forecourt, I have a slight worried feeling she went to school with an old ex of mine. hmm...

Looking at new range of Genesis Profile amps About 250-300 quid for the model I want to try. They are the entry range but will see if they are good and report back! (Also fits under seat easily-tried it- and has fan to vent.

Diddn
07-08-2002, 07:08
Sounds like what you were looking for.
Keep us posted on the outcome.
And Good luck with the lady(ies). ;)