PDA

View Full Version : Resonating Door Panels. (S14)

Bean
24-07-2002, 13:09
About a year ago I fitted uprated door speakers, the problem is when I turn the stereo up the doors resonate like a b*stard! :mad:

I could easily fit dynomat because the door skins were sealed, what have people done to eliminate this? :confused:

My rear parcel shelf also rattles like a ******* even the I stuck loads of dynomat on that! :(

Diddn
24-07-2002, 13:46
I just dynamatted my entire car over the weekend.
I now have the stuff on all panels in the boot, the rear passenger panels, the doors and the parcel shelf.
I get a very slight resonating noise coming from inside the boot somewhere which I haven't been able to find.
For the doors, I simply peeled back the plastic and applied the dynamat. Once the dynamat was on, just stuck the plastic back with the existing black sticky stuff.
I don't get any resonating in the doors at all now and they shut close with a very heavy thud Benzo style! :)
I used the Dynamat Extreme stuff - much better than the standard stuff.
Also, if you're running a sub, you should high pass the door speakers at around the frequency you sub is low passed at. Mine are high passed at 100Hz. That will reduce the depth of bass being played by the speakers and hence reduce any rattling. Its never good to have 2 different speakers playing the same frequencies.
Hope this helps.

Bean
25-07-2002, 11:36
Originally posted by Didin
I just dynamatted my entire car over the weekend.
I now have the stuff on all panels in the boot, the rear passenger panels, the doors and the parcel shelf.
I get a very slight resonating noise coming from inside the boot somewhere which I haven't been able to find.
For the doors, I simply peeled back the plastic and applied the dynamat. Once the dynamat was on, just stuck the plastic back with the existing black sticky stuff.
I don't get any resonating in the doors at all now and they shut close with a very heavy thud Benzo style! :)
I used the Dynamat Extreme stuff - much better than the standard stuff.
Also, if you're running a sub, you should high pass the door speakers at around the frequency you sub is low passed at. Mine are high passed at 100Hz. That will reduce the depth of bass being played by the speakers and hence reduce any rattling. Its never good to have 2 different speakers playing the same frequencies.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Didin,

I'm not running a sub or amps, just an uprated Head Unit and Speakers.

Was it easy to remove the rear panel trim?

I did the parcel shelf, it was a right pain in the arse cutting out tiny bits of dynomat and sticking them to the uneven surface! :mad:

I've done the boot floor with that Brown Bread Stuff, a bit messy but it's made a huge improvement.

Diddn
25-07-2002, 12:33
No ..... The rear panel trim is a pain in the butt.
You can easily unclip it from the body work, but then the rear seat belts don't allow you to pull it away too far (unless of course you remove the belts). So you have to make like a contorsionist or plastic man to apply the dynamat.
I broke a couple of the panel clips so it best to buy a few spares in advance.

Bean
25-07-2002, 12:43
No ..... The rear panel trim is a pain in the butt.
You can easily unclip it from the body work, but then the rear seat belts don't allow you to pull it away too far (unless of course you remove the belts). So you have to make like a contorsionist or plastic man to apply the dynamat.
I broke a couple of the panel clips so it best to buy a few spares in advance.

Yeah, I also broke some clips when fitting my CD Changer! :(

Did you find applying dynomat to the rear shelf was a pain in the arse? :mad:

Diddn
25-07-2002, 13:10
Originally posted by BeanS14

Did you find applying dynomat to the rear shelf was a pain in the arse? :mad:

Not Really. When I dynamat, I first cut the stuff up into long strips. I never apply a sheet in whole. This allows you to apply it better in curved panels. Then I just lay one strip next to the other so it fills up all the gaps.

Bean
25-07-2002, 13:20

Not Really. When I dynamat, I first cut the stuff up into long strips. I never apply a sheet in whole. This allows you to apply it better in curved panels. Then I just lay one strip next to the other so it fills up all the gaps.

But there's loads of wires and holes in the shelf :confused: You're telling me you just dynomatted over the top of them! :eek:

Richie
25-07-2002, 21:50
If you have a noise coming from your boot come and see me at Billing and I will show you what it is. It took me months to figure out after taking my whole rear end apart bumper/lights looms etc. Does it seem to happen at about 50-70mph over slight bumps?

Diddn
26-07-2002, 07:30
No, I didn't cover up any holes Bean, I worked around those on the metal shelf. I'm talking about the carboard parcel shelf that you clip off. You have to dynamat that aswell because it this that vibrates most, not the metal part.

Richie, I get something vibrating in the boot with the sound system, not when driving or going over bumps. I've dynamatted pretty much every panel in the boot, and I just can't detect this slight vibration when the Bass drops.

Bean
26-07-2002, 07:37
No, I didn't cover up any holes Bean, I worked around those on the metal shelf. I'm talking about the carboard parcel shelf that you clip off. You have to dynamat that aswell because it this that vibrates most, not the metal part.

Richie, I get something vibrating in the boot with the sound system, not when driving or going over bumps. I've dynamatted pretty much every panel in the boot, and I just can't detect this slight vibration when the Bass drops.

Stick dynomat on the underneath of the parcel shelf? I didn't think of that!

Are you sure dynomat will stop cardboard resonating? :confused:

Thanks. :)

Daniel san
26-07-2002, 07:39
That noise isn't the jack by chance is it?

Diddn
26-07-2002, 07:47
Originally posted by BeanS14

Stick dynomat on the underneath of the parcel shelf? I didn't think of that!

Are you sure dynomat will stop cardboard resonating? :confused:

Thanks. :)

Yes, Dynamat works on any material that resonates, not just metal. My cardboard shelf was vibrating so much I thought it was gonna fly off and hit the rear window!!
Stuck the dynamat on and it did the job perfectly. I've even cut tiny little thin strips and stuck it on the underneath of the speaker grills - on each individual grill!! :eek:
I guess I'm a very patient man!!

maverick
26-07-2002, 10:18
I found that the rattling in the boot of my car was the jack. You do have to check it every so often to make sure it is tight. I might line it with some foam later.

Marcos
31-07-2002, 18:20
Dynomat the jack!