PDA

View Full Version : Front speakers and their little "pod" - S14a

Daniel san
04-07-2002, 20:51
Right, I'm going to fit some new front components and would dearly love to make a better pod to house them in. Has anyone done this yet? Any suggestions, pics etc?

Also, for those that have upgraded the stock fronts, where did you place the new tweeter?

Cheers

Diddn
05-07-2002, 07:39
There's nothing really wrong with the pods. They're quite a good design actually as the angle the speaker towards the passengers slightly.
I've upgraded my speakers and am pushing 150W RMS thru them and they haven't fallen apart yet. But what I did was put a bit of Dynamat on them to stop any resonance.
If you really want to change them, you can construct a similar pod be glueing layers of MDF ring cutouts together. You'd also have to construct a base and the 3 holes to bolt them onto the doors.
The Dynamat solution works quite well though. The more the merrier. Gives it a very solid feel.
As for the tweeter, I've placed mine right next to the mid on the angled bit of the door (where the alcantara/material bit is). In this spot, it angles the tweeter toward the driver and passanger quite well. For best sound image, always keep the tweeter as close as possible to the mid.
I'll post a pic here over the weekend if you like.

Daniel san
05-07-2002, 07:47
Piccies? Yes please mate. Do like to see what other peeps have done.

Cheers

Diddn
05-07-2002, 08:05
No probs, I'll try and take a pic of the mid & tweet on the door tonite (if I get time after work).

Diddn
05-07-2002, 17:23
Here you goes.
This is what the passenger door looks like.

PhilMorrison
05-07-2002, 17:50
That looks sweet m8 :), do u loose any clarity with them being so low tho?

Diddn
06-07-2002, 18:17
No, Actually, the sound image is far more superior when coming from further down next to the mid as compared to when it was on the A pillar.
I've done installs where the tweeter and mid are installed in the kick panels. So long as you foot doesn't cover the tweeter, the sound quality is amazing.
Because I'm running 150W RMS thru the front speakers, having the tweeters on the A pillar would probably rip my head off after my eardrums pierce and bleed!! :D

Daniel san
06-07-2002, 18:30
I always think of it this way. At home, you wouldn't chop the top off your speakers and put the top half (containing the tweeter) on top of your wardrobe, would you? As close as poss is the key.

Daniel san
06-07-2002, 18:37
Btw, Didin, that does look good:) You going to the show tomorrow?

Diddn
06-07-2002, 21:43
Thanks Dan,
Nope, not going anywhere for while yet.
Both myself and my mate just moved houses, so we're busy fixing them up every spare minute we get. I'm actually helping him install a Alarm system in his place this weekend, plus I've got me Mrs' cousins Wedding on the 20th of this much, so a lot is revolving around that. Pretty much stuck at the mo :(
I'll post some more pics of the sound system when I get closer to finishing it off. I actually started this installation back in December last year and I still haven't finished :eek:
Its sounding pretty good, but not much to look at though. A bit messy and wires poking out all over the place. Hoping to finish it off in the next few weeks.

p.nicholas
10-07-2002, 22:57
i dont if this is of any use but they(vibe)are now making 8"component speakers.the tweeters can be mounted flush or seperatly.£200 they are not cheap but what an install that would make!
www.v-i-b-e.com
if youre interested:)

critchie
19-07-2002, 14:35
Most of the vibe 2-way series come with a removable tweeter and built in crossover. I work in Ripspeed and have heard these speakers in some custs cars, they sound amazing, better than on the audio stand. Not to expensive either.

Colin