PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? S13

Tricky-Ricky
11-06-2002, 20:57
Got a reasonable install with 170mm componants in front and 6x9s in rear parcel shelf and subs all run off amps! find that the rears sound dull no real treble! i suppose it's to be expected cos of the ammount of free space in boot! so im'e in the process of making some pods to take 170mm coaxals to fit in the plastic arm recess in the back! hopeing that the location and the smaller space will improve rear sound quality! but it means that i will have to butcher the plastic! do you think it worth it??

Stevecarter200
12-06-2002, 00:47
Personally I wouldnt put more speakers in the rear side arm rests. It wont do anything for the sound quality, in fact it will make the sound confusing to your ears and will make the car look a bit 'hacked about' just to get more speakers in the car.

I would forget about the 6x9s (generally bassy but not too good sound quality unless listening on-axis) and fit some better sound quality speakers.

Ive got 5" Infinity co-axials in the standard rear positions, no cutting of plastic required. I made up some MDF baffles which just about sqeeze into the gap. Took a while to do but it does the trick.

I dont think there is enough room to go bigger than 5" in the back but really you dont need any bigger than that, they are only for rear fill. All the main sound should be coming from your front speakers and let the subs handle the bass.

Tricky-Ricky
12-06-2002, 19:40
Steve, i ment to replace the 6x9s not add to them! as i allready have the 6" coaxials which oridginaly came from the front, i want to use them! and the only way to tighten up the uncontroled base
and sharpen up the treble is to restrict the amount of back space available to them! unless someone knows another way? and iv'e allready tryed the 6"coaxials in the parcel shelf and they sound much the same as the 6x9s!

Ray Ray
02-07-2002, 10:47
Originally posted by Tricky-Ricky
Steve, i ment to replace the 6x9s not add to them! as i allready have the 6" coaxials which oridginaly came from the front, i want to use them! and the only way to tighten up the uncontroled base
and sharpen up the treble is to restrict the amount of back space available to them! unless someone knows another way? and iv'e allready tryed the 6"coaxials in the parcel shelf and they sound much the same as the 6x9s!

Tricky-Ricky

In my opinion simple is the best. Less device less interference.
Have u try to disable the parcel speakers(no matter 6" or 6x9)..
Try to listen ur system with front pair of speakers and sub-woofer only first, my imperssion is the uncontrolled bass may come from poor setting sub....

If u have a good sub and front component speaker that's already good enough...for the parcel speaker it is only use the rear fill for better sound image.
The only benfit for 6x9 is strong bass: however the different frequency response(due to oval shape) it won't compatable to ur front 6" round speakers, sound at mid-low frequency like vocal voice will drag to rear and u need to use front bais/tremble in head unit in order to bring back the sound image in front of u (except u have 6x9 both in front and rear)

I also have 6" in front and 6x9 in parcel. But i always put a Low Pass Filter on the rear so these 6x9 actually act like a woofer...if let them working at full range it only mess up the whole thing in terms of sound quality.

Goto DLS site
http://www.dls.se/english/default.htm
In the support section there are some articles in Acrobat format which it very useful.

Hope it helps

BTW...why bother with the sound for rear passangers...most of the time there is only one passenger in my car!!