PDA

View Full Version : changer location

DanS14
06-06-2002, 14:52
Where's the standard location for the changer on the S14 touring? I've got a non touring and was wondering if any holes may be pre drilled to make it easier for me to attach mine...

Then I've got to find space for my amps! Prob on the little shelf behind the rear seats. Oh and the 12" dual voice coil. Bye bye boot space

PhilMorrison
06-06-2002, 14:58
The changer is very badly installed behind the rear drivers side arch on the boot floor.

DanS14
06-06-2002, 15:40
Whats the best route for cabling in a s14? There does not seem to be much room at all down the door sills like other cars. carpet is far too flush
Is it easy to route rca's etc down the centre tunnel? I.e. I sit much of an effort getting the wires through or do lots of bits have to come off?

Any advice appreciated. Got to get three RCAs, power, changer lead, speaker wire etc to the boot.

PhilMorrison
06-06-2002, 19:02
I just have a 10mm power cable down 1 side of the car and a heavy duty double phono down the other side, but I think that there is enuf room for more if you tape it down properly. Give it a go :) I think It would be to much effort going down the centre, and in previous experience I've found that this can badly effect the fitting of the rest of the carpet.

p.nicholas
08-06-2002, 18:54
oh no it does'nt just fitted alpine 3 rca's down the middle of car under the center console and carpet behind that ,a bit fiddly but didnt that long .
power cable though speedo hole under the front wheel arch and along passenger side.
amp and 12 disc changer above axel 12" sub in home made ported box fitted on the left hand side of boot in front the jack
the sub box has been fitted so that if i do get a punture you still have take out the carpet and just move the sub box over.
maybe of use sub box 15"x14" 45 degree angle 5" up from base
ported 5" gap across width top and bottom

DanS14
11-06-2002, 13:07
Do you know if the standard speakers are good enough to be run by quite a serious Rockford Punch 400a4? Had Focal speakers in the last car but can't transfer them..nor can I be bothered!

Might have a go on Sunday at putting the sub in at least..although its my b-day this weekend so might not feel up to it on Sunday!

p.nicholas
11-06-2002, 18:59
not really mine are at the moment still clarion ,waiting on some kenwood replacements
they are wired into the amp and don't sound to bad,but wind up the volume and they detract from the rest of the install,the standard one's are bassey but you lose after turning them up they are only rated at 30w max

DanS14
12-06-2002, 10:08
I really ought to get myself a haynes manual or something. I've had the car about a month now but simply haven't had time to check things out, poke around etc..

What size are the speakers in the S14a?? Are they 6.5"??
Might have a look at some custom fit jobbies, with the birthday money!
Hmm...maybe not... might be able to buy some cable with the money anyway....

I'm tempted to go for a different amp too, so might be replacing the Rockford 4 channel. Great powerful amp (they give you a performance test result printout for every single unit..mine was 506W RMS @ 12.8Volts I think) but I'm after a little more clarity, Kenwoods seem to always sound good, alpine V12 too

maverick
12-06-2002, 10:47
The door speakers in a S14a are 6.5s, but you won't find a Haynes manual for this car.

p.nicholas
12-06-2002, 21:20
v12
thats what i got
5 channel jobby more than enough for me,i think it's a 357?
also you may want these sizes 280mmx400mmx60mm
amp dimensions:cool:
if you have a good connection try the download (28mb)at
www.silvia.hl.com.au/techinfo.asp
will take very long time on standard modem

200sxer
18-06-2002, 16:17
Got my car with ice:

Alpine F407 amp attached snuggly upside down on the back shelf with two big JL speakers and Alpine 12 cd changer bracketed to the rhs of the boot floor.

All wired up with one big red cable throught the centre of the car. sometimes see it peeking through the bottom of the gear box cover. Was done professionally though as the car came with fitting receipts et al.

Anyway...

p.nicholas
18-06-2002, 19:34
took me most of my week off
mind you being at a dissadvantage because i havent taken anything apart (in the sx )before
also includes sub box making and main base

DanS14
19-06-2002, 10:19
Surprised that a proffesional fitter mounted the amp upside down like that. Normally a fitter will say that heat dissipation would be affected by doing that.
Strange topic though cos some amps prefer to run quite hot, while others deteriorate quite quickly in quality and power output at higher temps....

Did not have a chance to fit any of my stuff yet, was a very busy weekend.

Am i right in saying there's an easy to access hole on the drivers side to run a power cable through to the battery?

maverick
19-06-2002, 10:21
In an S14a, there is a large grommet near the clutch pedal hinge. I have used this hole for a power cable to the boot.

200sxer
19-06-2002, 10:44
Am i right in saying there's an easy to access hole on the drivers side to run a power cable through to the battery?

I had a look under the bonnet and the cable goes through a hole in the centre of the metal, about six inches down where it feeds through and under the centre console plastic thingy bit.

Must admit they've done a good job, they were even good enought to put a plastic plug around the cable to give it a tight fit.
:p