PDA

View Full Version : Quick brake pad question

JulesS14200
02-11-2004, 16:14
Ive currently got drilled & grooved disks and Greenstuff pads. As you all know the pads are utter shite and the lack of brake power is gettin worrying. My question is, Is it ok to replace the greenstuff pads with standard pads, will they be compatible with the disks?

SM
02-11-2004, 16:20
Yes, but I wouldnt replace with standard pads unless you are very :ghey: on braking.

JulesS14200
02-11-2004, 16:35
Yes, but I wouldnt replace with standard pads unless you are very :ghey: on braking.

The car isnt driven hard, its only really used for driving to work and back to be honest but Im goin to the Bovingdon Drift day on Sunday so thought about swapping them for a new standard set ive got lying around. When i got the car the standard brakes were shagged so I dont know what the standard set up is like. They only have to last a few months till I decide which big brake kit to go for, would brand new standard pads be better than knackered greenstuff or are standard pads crap as well :confused:

SM
02-11-2004, 19:29
Try them and see ??

Reggie
02-11-2004, 20:28
One thing to be aware of is that brake pads and disks do not wear evenly. To ensure maximum contact area betweeen the disks and pads, you should only replace pads with new ones and you should bed them in for a while. It is therefore, not advised that you use old pads on disks that they did not come from. If you are putting on a new set of pads, this would be fine and it's probably worth giving them a go.

Unlike Wheels, given the above, it's not advised to keep a set of road pads and a set of track pads either.

JulesS14200
03-11-2004, 10:30
Thanks people, They are brand new so I will threw them on later and see if they are any better :thumbs:

Hates_
03-11-2004, 11:33
To ensure maximum contact area betweeen the disks and pads, you should only replace pads with new ones and you should bed them in for a while.Is it safe to remove pads and then put them back in?