PDA

View Full Version : ECU Resetting again!!!

JamesPJ
02-11-2004, 12:54
Just tried to reset the ECU due to the fact that I've been getting really shit MPG recently (200-240 normal driving). It was initially because me Turbo to Man gasket blow, now it's replaced, I'm still getttin bad MPG. Anyway, just disconnected the negative terminal on the bat and it didn't blair, but made a funning winning noise. Only left it for about a minute, but then took it out, and it seems to be all around more powerful.

Is there anyway to check if it has been reset apart from wait to see what millage I get from a tank?

Cheers

Vez
02-11-2004, 12:58
Yes plug a consult unit into it and press the "reset self learn" button :)

lordfarquad
02-11-2004, 22:51
Well i was thinking about re-setting mine too because i have never had over 220 miles to the tank. All i have is an induction kit and a dent in the door ! oh and clear side repeaters, that might be the reason !!

away to fit my turbo back exhaust and manifold in the next week or two should i wait till then ?

I heard you need to leave your battery disconected for more than 2 hours to reset your ecu ?!?

let me know how you get on ! :thumbs:

hadyn
02-11-2004, 22:55
1/2 hour with the lights left on should be enough to reset the ecu

cossykiller
02-11-2004, 23:11
bloody ell
if i dont get 300miles on a run and 250miles round town im well pissed off, and thats taking it easy, and killing it.
what spec are your cars to only get 200?

Jibber
03-11-2004, 04:40
be chuffed iff i could get 200

lordfarquad
04-11-2004, 00:03
thats the problem my 200sx isnt that tuned at all !!
bit scared to put my exhaust on !! might only get 10 miles to the tank!

I might be asking a silly question but whats the point in unpluggin your battery then leaving your lights on ?

or do you mean just leave your battery and turn the lights on for half an hour ?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rory
04-11-2004, 06:04
Leaving the lights on with the battery disconnected will drain the remaining charge out of the electrical system I think.

scWirral
04-11-2004, 07:25
I had similar problems with my 114,000mile car. The turbo gasket was blowing like crazy, so I had to sort it for the MOT. Swapped to a mongoose exhaust at the same time and I found that as well as an amazing performance improvement, I also got much better fuel economy on a 250mile motorway trip. I decided that I didn't want to risk getting nicked for the sake of an extra few MPH on the motorway, so I sat at between 70 and 80 all the way. Of course this meant that the turbo wasn't used much. I was blown away by how little fuel I used compared to hoofing about on the knackered gasket and the restrictive exhaust. I calculated 30MPG!!!

Only 'problem' is that I also fitted a boost valve and of course if you give it the full monty you can use 1/4 tank of fuel in about 25 miles :eek:

At the end of the day its your right foot that rules your fuel consumption, not the mods.

Gregstar
04-11-2004, 22:01
so to reset the ECU just disconnect the battery and leave the lights on.
But how do you reset the self learn? do i need something extra

Tangers
05-11-2004, 08:42
reset ECU = reset self learn
Resetting the ecu wipes the ecu's stored (learnt) values.

TomM
05-11-2004, 09:30
Only 'problem' is that I also fitted a boost valve and of course if you give it the full monty you can use 1/4 tank of fuel in about 25 miles :eek:

At the end of the day its your right foot that rules your fuel consumption, not the mods.
I think one of the biggest factors is the journey distance you're doing. With mine, even 15-20 mile regular commutes takes the consumption down to ~26-27mpg, with mostly gentle motorway driving at 70-85.

Contrast that with a drive back from Norwich I did a while ago --A-roads most of the way, lots of booting it from 45 to overtake slow traffic, cruising at ~90-100 when it was clear-- when I got just over 300 miles from a tank - 30.something MPG.

scWirral
06-11-2004, 08:23
Sounds like a great excuse for an experiment. I will go out for a looonnnggg thrash and see what it does to the consumption :)

Matt_JD
06-11-2004, 10:19
reset ECU = reset self learn
Resetting the ecu wipes the ecu's stored (learnt) values.

Is this something thats common/good idea to do?

Done,

Full decat/Mongoose
HKS Panel
Denso's
DV
Bren Device @ 12psi
Walbro FP

Never reset my ECU so will it be running on the old standard values then??
:confused:

Matt

Roo
06-11-2004, 10:35
Seeing this thread I just wanted to pass comment on the "disconnect battery and leave for ... 2 hours/weeks/days (delete as appropriate)" suggestions that crop up when people talk about reseting their ECU's. Similarly leaving the lights on or sitting with your foot on the brake pedal. As far as I'm concerned this is nonsense. Once the battery is disconected the voltage to the ECU is gone and it will reset.

It beats me where people reckon the mysterious storage device that holds the voltage for two hours or more actually resides? There may be a tiny residual energy stored in inductors or capacitors in the ECU circuits but that's not going to be enough to prevent it from reseting. How do you expect the consult port reset works? Do you need to hold your finger on the button for two hours just to be on thesafe side??? - no, you don't.

If you want to reset your ECU disconnect the +ve lead from the battery, leave it for a few seconds, then re-connect. Job done.

The next time the power goes off in my street I'm going to switch all the lights on for two hours just to make sure, might even plug my electric drill in and sit there with my finger on the trigger :thumbs:

(Rant over)