PDA

View Full Version : Living without boost controller?

ELORTO
01-11-2004, 22:00
Hi

I fitted a mechanical boost controller 2 weeks ago. I got boost spikes after fitted it.

Today I have disconnected this boost controller and have replaced FBU hose by stardard restricted hose ,so I have lost FBU.

After this change, boost is nicely stable at 12-13 psi (I have full exhaust ,no cats, apexi pod,etc...).

I have my hybrid waiting to be fitted so my question is ; Might boost get stable at 15 psi after fitting FMIC? People says FMIC adds +2 psi after fitted so I wonder if I might get 15 psi without spikes and without boost controller.

Change the subject:

Last night my friend Jvg was testing my timing by "consult port". Timing was right at 15º when running softly but it got down until 12-11-10º when I was running full throttle at 14-15 psi. Next run it happened the same, 15º when soft driving and 12,11,10......when full boost. WHY? How could I fix this problem? (Is it a problem?)

Inyectors were running at 90% when full throttle and 15 psi in 4th gear.

thx

ELORTO
02-11-2004, 13:15
? Any idea?

DaveV
02-11-2004, 14:13
I've found the same thing during data logging, the ECU seems to retard the timing on full load and med/high revs.

If it's a problem then we both have it! :smash:

tDR
02-11-2004, 14:15
At a guess it retards according to readings from the knock sensor.

Drifter
02-11-2004, 14:19
You should get more boost as the stock WMIC is poor and requires abit of pressure to get though it. The new FMIC will be free flowing therefore you will see more of the pressure the turbo is generating getting to the inlet manifold.

I think the ECU is supposed to bring the timimg back to reduce the chance of Dett, this is normal as far as I know. Only way to change would be a remap of some sort.

Papa Lazarou
02-11-2004, 16:47
Its not going to hold a constant amount of ignition advance, it will be adjusted according to RPM and load.

ELORTO
02-11-2004, 20:34
I got it. So it happens with other 200s too.

ECU should be retarding timing at locked value (11 i.e.) if knock sensor was reading Det in full throttle/revs, but I think timing wouldn't be back at 15º after stopping full load/throttle in that run, is it right?

Jvg was getting stable 15º under full throttle and med/high revs but boost at 12 psi. His car was running very smothly,powerfull and fine from low revs range , mine seems to run a bit worse in low revs but fine at med/high revs. Might it be due that timing retard done by ECU?

Does low timing (12,11,10....) make car running worse?

Now my boost is set at 12 psi so I think timing should be locked at 15º after reseting ECU, is it right?

Drifter: So, you are reading more boost preasure after fitted your Hybrid, aren't you? .Then boost might be next to 15psi without boost controller, thought.

Thanks for your help.

Drifter
02-11-2004, 22:20
Drifter: So, you are reading more boost preasure after fitted your Hybrid, aren't you? .Then boost might be next to 15psi without boost controller, thought.

I haven't finished installing my FMIC yet :rolleyes: But there are others on here who have said that they have adjusted or turned down their boost controllers to keep the same boost level. I would say that you will defo get an increase, but by how much I don't know. Probably right at about 2psi :thumbs:

ELORTO
03-11-2004, 21:21
I got it Drifter. I am waiting to find any f*** cheap small battery , then I will fit my Hybrid too!
Regards.