PDA

View Full Version : coughing and spluttering

200sx stu
30-10-2004, 10:43
hi guys don't know if anyone can help but here goes:
from start 1st thing in the morning it sounds like it wants to cut out and occasionally does, then when trying to restart it it makes some funky noises.
once started its fine untill u boot it, in 1st it gets to about 3-4k and missfires and holds back like a fooker, put it in second and give it some and the same thing happens the rest of the gears are sound.
the car has got denso plugs ,full stainless pipe de-cated bleed valve and filter. any ideas

cheers :nod:

SM
30-10-2004, 11:04
Things worth checking.
1) Spark plugs.
2) AFM plugged in?
3) Dying fuel pump? Blocked fuel filter?
4) Massive boost leak ?

200sx stu
30-10-2004, 11:11
hi mate
the plugs are new (bought them in hope that it would cure the problem) :(
but never.
everything is plugged in.
i thought it could be the coil pack but now uve mentioned fuel pump that would seem more likely.

ammazingly shite on petrol lately. for £50 im getting 190 miles :eek: which is **** , i think u will agree. is it worth buying an uprated one :confused: .

cheers for the advice :thumbs:

voodoo_melon
30-10-2004, 11:23
How many miles has it done, and is the fuel pump original?

Sounds like a boost leak to me, as that would cause both the stuttering and crap fuel economy. Check all the intake pipes are fitted properly and the clips are tight (including the ic pipes under the wing).

200sx stu
30-10-2004, 11:35
hi mate the mileage is just over 100k. i would imagine its the original fuel pump unless they are a common fault.

going out to have a play with it now and see if i can spot any dodgy pipes and hoses. i'll let u know how i get on.

cheers matey :thumbs:

SM
30-10-2004, 11:58
pumps go 60-80K, you would have done well for it to last 100K.
With increased fuel use boost leak - probably cracked intercooler pipe (have to remove arch liner to be sure) - seems more likely.

paul
30-10-2004, 12:18
pumps go 60-80K, you would have done well for it to last 100K.

Having looked thru the receipts I got with mine, I cant see that the pump has been changed, so when I changed it at 155k it had certainly done a fair amount of work :eek:
Still on original turbo too :( Bloody thing wont break and I cant justify just changing it for a while yet :D

My pump just stopped when it went, to work no more. Such an easy job and cheap to boot :thumbs:

Paul

Columbo
30-10-2004, 12:19
boost leak would cause massive petrol consumption..........trust me ;)