PDA

View Full Version : BHP incr with SS manidold

Dai D
30-10-2004, 08:34
I know my insurance company will ask so, what can I expect with a Danotech SS manifold and turbo elbow, running at say 1 bar plus all the other bits below.
I've told them 270 bhp for everything else, so its just the (fingers crossed)
increase I'm after.

ROAD WARRIOR
30-10-2004, 09:29
I've got an HKS manifold and elbow, not sure of the exact amount of power but i was quoted by a few folk that 20-30 bhp is in order. It certainly felt like that too. I ran my t28 at 1 bar also and there was a noticable difference in spool up time and torque :nod:

SM
30-10-2004, 10:00
In theory top end power should increase, but I think 20BHP is a bit high of an estimate.
You will probably lose mid-range torque.

Dai D
30-10-2004, 10:18
Oh, I thought I'd read that there'd be an increase in low to mid range torque :-(

Papa Lazarou
30-10-2004, 13:34
Your mid range (on boost) should be improved. You lose out a little on low end.

Busky2k
30-10-2004, 15:00
I put a SS manifold on and didnt notice any low down torque loss. I'd say I gained a lil in the midrange and top end, but I wouldnt say its more than 5-10hp at best.

James
30-10-2004, 17:24
I noticed a difference to low down power with a tubular manifold on. I've swapped back to a standard one now after cracking it and noticed no overall power loss. You only really NEED a tubular manifold if you're going for really big power.
Phil's car is running 320bhp at the hubs (IIRC) and he's gone back to standard manifold too :nod:
Definitely worth doing the downpipe and turbo elbow though :nod: but I don't believe there are massive gains to be had just from the manifold. I'm happy to be proved wrong if someone has before and after rolling road printouts :)

Papa Lazarou
30-10-2004, 18:26
This test illustrates the difference that can be seen between a *well designed* tubular manifold and a log manifold.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67803583&Forum=UBB9&Words=full%20race&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=67793990&Search=true#Post67803583

The el-cheapo tubular manifold I've got sitting here is not as good. The runners join at quite an angle and there is no real "collector" as such. Having said that it looks to be made of quite thick stainless tubing and cost me £90 + postage so I ain't complaining too much....

James
30-10-2004, 18:48
hmmmm, that certainly is interesting....... Wonder if the external wastegate position plays much of a part in that difference....
I'd love to see a similar test on an S14 with standard manifold vs tubular on a car with induction kit, full exhaust and fmic running about 15psi :nod:

dano
31-10-2004, 07:21
hi,

james there is nearly always be a trade off of power against torque. a full 3" system is likely to give bigger HP gains but less torque where a 2.5" system will give slightly less power but better torque gains. you drift guy's are not interested in bigger power numbers but want loads of torque so can see why you have gone to standard manifolds.

fitting a elbow will help eliminate the loss of low down torque by flowing better as it helps in aiding the turbo to spool quicker.

Dai D
31-10-2004, 07:38
So it seems like equal length "arms" (dont know the correct term) is best.
Off to measure mine now:-)

James
31-10-2004, 09:43
cheers Dano,
you're right about what's needed for drift but I was talking about every day driving too. I'm certain they will help you get an ultimately higher BHP figure, but personally I'd much rather have a car with decent response throughout the range. Higher BHP figure is great for bragging down the pub, but doesn't neccessarily make the car drive better day to day.....

luca_200sx
31-10-2004, 13:59
i think it's around 20bhp