PDA

View Full Version : MOT & Emissions Problem

Simon
28-10-2004, 08:16
I Just had my MOT last week and it passed :D but only just on emmisions it was fine when reving but when it was tested on idle it was right on the limit. Now im going to be putting a frontpipe on this weekend and obviously i dont want to have to change it back next year for the MOT. Has anyone had this problem aswell? I guessing that my CAT's are on the way out. But how do you lot normally get on with the one CAT and how close is it to the limit?

Cheers

Simon

mr200
28-10-2004, 08:32
U need to know people who know people! (who forget to perform the emissions tests) ;)

Jamiem
28-10-2004, 09:11
of course this would never be done by any performance garage, or any friends of performance garages.....

andy14a
29-10-2004, 07:22
I had an MOT last week and it was fine with just the main cat!!!! I did take my bren device out though but not because of emissions, so when they take the car out to test the diff they wouldn't rag it and turn it off damaging the turbo. I havent got a TT yet! :(

paul
29-10-2004, 14:47
I havent got a TT yet! :(
That would only confused them as they never know why the car wont switch off :rolleyes:

I havent had probs with just 1 cat either :)

When you say on the limit, the limit of what? several things a measured, aren't they? Depending which, could indicate any problem.
Alas I may be totally wrong too :(

Paul

makka_s
29-10-2004, 18:51
Yeah, it depends on what was high, co2 or H/C!
Usually high H/C is a bad sign, meaning too much oil is being burnt, usually from worn valve guides, or even piston rings.
This will also push up co2 levels as burnt hydrocarbons impare the performance of the CAT.
But there are many reasons for high emissions from fueling to the CAT it self, to be safe get it looked at :thumbs: