PDA

View Full Version : Brake Discs, which way round??

cHiL
27-10-2004, 17:01
OK quick question here, I have new brembo discs to fit and was assuming the grooves go from the centre of the disc outwards & forwards, like in this photo.
http://www.jull.co.uk/mods/images/disks__fitted_sm.jpg
My mate has some different discs on a different car (BMW) and his go out and back ie: the opposite way. So the question is, does it matter? If so which way & why??

SM
27-10-2004, 17:04
forward facing = better braking, wear pads quickly
backward facing = very very slightly worse braking

Bayside Blue
27-10-2004, 17:08
Spiral forward i thought... so contacts made first in the centre then outward with the spiral.

As in this way instead,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/blackveg/disks__fitted_sm.jpg

EDIT: WTF happened to the compression on that pic lol :D

SM does it really not matter that much? I thought it would feck up if you put them on backwards? ... Mine are on backwards??? :confused:

Should i turn mine around?

Vez
27-10-2004, 17:09
The way you have them facing will also be the quietest ;)

cHiL
27-10-2004, 17:10
Erm, why?

cHiL
27-10-2004, 17:11
The way you have them facing will also be the quietest ;)
;)? why Vez?

SM
27-10-2004, 17:18
http://www.ocean.washington.edu/people/grads/mpruis/images/why.gif

cHiL
27-10-2004, 17:20
Lmao!!

Bayside Blue
27-10-2004, 17:20
WTF lol :D

Vez
27-10-2004, 17:21
Errr, the other way is the quietest, I was wrong ;)

Tangers
27-10-2004, 17:22
IIRC

forward - will bite into the pads more, more noisy, better braking
backward - will bite into the pads less, less noisy

Bayside Blue
27-10-2004, 17:24
doh! ill flip em round when i change them next time, get better braking dont really care about extra noise.

I just assumed they went the other way spiraling to the back of the car :rolleyes:

Tangers
27-10-2004, 17:41
Just done some browsing and got this from the Brembo FAQ:

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

-Straight
-Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
-Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. Please see figure.

Not sure if the last paragraph applies to Apex Performance direct replacement Brembo's though, as I think they are machined from Brembo blanks rather than being a kit.

Vez
27-10-2004, 17:49
They are pillar vane, dont confuse vanes with grooves ;)

SM
27-10-2004, 17:50
Well at least its settled :p

The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first

Edit - maybe not - whats Vez on about :confused:

Jez
27-10-2004, 17:54
Ves is on about the fact that the brembo quote is talking about vanes inbetween the 2 disk surfaces, not the groove on the surface - at least at the begining.

The last paragraph says that the grooves should contact the pad at the outside of the disk 1st.

SM
27-10-2004, 17:56
Ah ... on mine there are just little studs every now and then IIRC ... I'm even more confused ... I think I'll go home !!!

Jem
27-10-2004, 19:11
Looks like mine are on the wrong way then:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/jerem_rsv_uk24/2004_1028Image0006.jpg

Guess what i'm doing over the weekend :annoyed:

Jeremy

TomM
27-10-2004, 19:15
Are they vented or not - the direction of the air 'scoops' between the two braking surfaces should determine things :)

kuddy
27-10-2004, 19:24
I did a big trawl through the brembo websites when I got mine and, although the brembo link I had is now history unfortunately, they recommended what SM said above IIRC. The groove on the outer should hit the pad 1st for better braking efficiency but they can be installed the other way around.

fullmetalgasket
27-10-2004, 19:40
Ah, balls...
I'm fairly sure that's mine the wrong way around aswell :annoyed:
No wonder I was suprised at how the Brembo + mintex combo led to just as much brake fade on track as the standards :wack:

I'll have to ask My mate very nicely if he'll swap the bleeders over when I put the new pads in this weekend :rolleyes:

Hates_
27-10-2004, 21:45
Ok now I'm just confused :confused:

Bayside Blue
28-10-2004, 07:03
Pah, ill do them when then next wear out, they seem strong enough to me... and theyve saved me a couple of times ;)

Thanks for the knowlege though :thumbs: :annoyed:

Tangers
28-10-2004, 07:53
As I said before, I think the standard replacement disks are Brembo blanks (plain) and the grooves (slots) are machined by a third party. So I'm not sure if the last paragraph applies.

Mr C
28-10-2004, 13:35
I've always thought that the grooves should contact first at the bottom of the pad, my reason being that centrifugal force would move all the gas and dust to the outer edge of the disc where it can escape, rather than being compressed to the centre where there is no or limited outlet until the groove has passed.

Of course I'm no Mr Spock but that’s my logic.

bren
28-10-2004, 14:53
The brembos are machined by a third party.

The veins arent directional in them so it doesnt matter which way you mount the discs.

SM
28-10-2004, 14:58
Cheers for the clarification Bren :thumbs:

cortina-mk1
30-10-2004, 00:20
Spiral forward i thought... so contacts made first in the centre then outward with the spiral.

As in this way instead,

this is the way they should be fitted because the brake pad residue will be pushed out and away from the disc

cHiL
30-10-2004, 15:05
The brembos are machined by a third party.

The veins arent directional in them so it doesnt matter which way you mount the discs.
Eh? :confused: who's brembos Bren?

cHiL
30-10-2004, 15:10
Well here's mine fitted, as per the Brembo site (I found the link):thumbs:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12797&stc=1
mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Endless SSS's :smitten:

Daniel san
30-10-2004, 16:08
That's right Chil :nod:

You should have just called and asked mate :nod: :thumbs:

Daniel san
30-10-2004, 16:10

As in this way instead,

They only rotate in that direction when you go backwards mate;) Don't know of any 200sx that have the caliper mounted behind the disc, as such.

In the case of the Brembo casted, grooved discs that we supply (same as Bren does too), that image shows them installed correctly, but Bayside's going backwards:)

Rude Dog
30-10-2004, 18:09
Buggered if I can remember what way round mine went :confused:
Sideways danny told me to do it :nod: :D

cortina-mk1
30-10-2004, 22:54
thats correct chil :)

Jem
05-12-2004, 09:10
I know it's an old thread, but while fliicking through the November issue of Evo, I noticed this, and thought of this thread. The a Koenigsegg CCR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/jerem_rsv_uk24/2004_1205ccr0004.jpg

If it's good enough for a 800BHP:eek: supercar, it's good enough for me :thumbs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/jerem_rsv_uk24/2004_1028Image0006.jpg

skeets
09-09-2005, 19:21
sorry to bring this one back from the dead :rolleyes:

my mind was made up- i was going to do it same as chills ....until i read what Jem said about the koenigsegg (sp?)

I know it's an old thread, but while fliicking through the November issue of Evo, I noticed this, and thought of this thread. The a Koenigsegg CCR

this may confirm sm's comment right at the start of thread when you consider its most likely set up for maximum braking power

i'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of braking power for longer lasting pads and quiter braking :nod:

has there been any revations on this subject since this thread or shall i fit them the same as chill? :confused:

Alan_200sx
09-09-2005, 23:12
Mine are sitting on my desk and now really confused as too what way I should be putting them on. Would be nice if they came with instructions :nod: , least i got a free lollypop! :thumbs: