PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing ?

amnesia
22-10-2004, 07:42
I have a weird noise coming from the drivers' side of my S14. At first I thought it was a bit of grit stuck between the disc and the shield but it hasn't gone away.

It doesn't seem to squeal when the car is cold, but starts after about 5 miles of driving. I have recently had the suspension done (AGX & Tein springs). I am guessing this would put a bit more stress on hubs etc ?

It definitely sounds like a rotating part - just like a stone trapped somewhere, a kind of grinding, not a droning which I believe a bearing can sound like.

It does it in a straight line and round corners and at any particular speed (although at 50+ it seems to get a little quieter).

Assuming it is one of the wheel bearings (I can't make out whether it is the front or the rear) how easy are they to change, and how much is Mr Nissan gonna stiff me for the bits ? Is there anywhere else I can get bearings from (Japparts ?) ?

Are the front and rear bearings the same ?

Cheers in advance...

Daniel.

philk
22-10-2004, 07:58
Check your brake pads first,
bearings when they start to go tend to make noise going round corners.

amnesia
22-10-2004, 08:01
binding callipers ?

I will have a butchers' later if it stops raining :(

Tenman
22-10-2004, 08:13
prob. be a binding caliper, S14's are pretty prone to it

amnesia
22-10-2004, 08:35
Is that a rebuild job or can I just clean it up and try and free it ?

Daniel.

PhatBob
22-10-2004, 09:43
Jack the car up at the wheel thats making the noise.

Spin it around and listen for rubbing noises - you'll hear a load more when you are up close to it. There will be the usual noise of the pads on the disk but there shouldnt be any squeeking or grinding noises.

Next put one hand under the bottom of the tyre and another on top, and try to wiggle the wheel using the bearing center as the axis (ie pull the top of the wheel and push the bottom and vise-versa), spin the wheel a few times and repeat the action if you can feel or see movement, if there is then your bearings are needing some attention.

Rob

David_S14
22-10-2004, 09:56
Front bearings are not supposed to be a servicible item, you are meant to change the front hub (seem to remember it being about £120 odd but may be wrong). Wheel bearings are usually more noisy on cornering when they start to go.

Getting the brake pistons moving again would not be too difficult but usually once they start binding then I'd look at stripping and cleaning (seals, pistons etc).

For reference (when someone searches this in the future) I rang Lee @ www.classicbrakes.co.uk He really knew his stuff and quote me the following for refurbishing one 300ZX (Z32) brake caliper.

£48 + VAT per caliper
£12 + VAT per piston if any need replacing
plus £10 carriage overall for the order.

This is for a complete rebuild, cleaning and a gold coloured zinc plating when done.

Have a look at The whole thread (http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=37680&highlight=caliper+refurb)

amnesia
22-10-2004, 10:42
Cheers Dude.

What a fun weekend I am going to have.
I will try copius amounts of brake cleaner first, and see if that helps.

Daniel.

macbew
10-11-2004, 22:22
Hi, I have got exactly the same problem......did you manage to sort yours out, if so what was the cure......cheers!!!

amnesia
11-11-2004, 14:06
The rear pads needed replacing - they had worn down and the low-wear indicator was scraping on the disc.

:rolleyes:

All sorted now with new Mintex pads.
DS2500's going on the front this weekend :D:D:D

dan_t
11-11-2004, 14:25
I was just going to suggest that... I think mine are doing the same :rolleyes: