PDA

View Full Version : Manifold removal

JamesPJ
20-10-2004, 18:54
Started removing the manifold today, once gettin most of it sorted, got to the downpipe removal. The 3 bolts were rusted to shit, so I decided to take the 4 nuts off the top part of the downpipe, the bit that connects directly to the turbo.

I'm still fighting wid the EGR locking nut (any suggestions), but once that's off, is this method going to be ok?

It looks like it should come off.

Cheers

NissanNewbie
20-10-2004, 19:04
Well really you should undo from the outside inwards, but if you are replacing the manifold the undoing bit isnt such an issue, i will put money on you not being able to get the egr pipe off without a cold chisel and a big hammer, i put a big bolster chisel through mine, its then just a case of blocking up the relevant holes and pipes.

You will waste more time trying to get it off, and it's pretty much useless on a car with any mileage on, unless you see that tasty flat spot as usefull.

JamesPJ
20-10-2004, 19:08
Cheers 4 that mate!!!

Mark
20-10-2004, 20:50
yer cut the fooker off and block the egr, it will improve the running :thumbs:

piehound
20-10-2004, 21:11
KIL IT KILL IT KILL THE FOOOOOOOKER DEATH TO THE EGR PIPES
DO IT SLOWLY SO IT SUFFERS
BE CAREFULL IT WILL FIGHT BACK AND TRY TO GET YA KNUCKLES
WHEN ITS OFF CRUSH IT BURN IT MAKE IT BEG
THEN TAKE IT TO RIVER AND DROWN THE TW*T
OOOOOOOOOOO THAT FELT GOOD
apart from that just make sure your sockets are a good fit , use the 6 sided 1s not them million sided fellas they will slip anfd then your in a word of hurt

piehound
20-10-2004, 21:13
oh and it may easier and cheaper to get a manifold off a 14a they dont have the hole in for the B****RD ,F******G CHAV DESIGNED PIPE

JamesPJ
20-10-2004, 21:55
How easy is it to cut while on the car?

I tried using a hack saw and couldn't get anywhere near it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Aitch
20-10-2004, 21:57
Big chisel (very sharp) and large hammer :smash: :eek:

It's brutal, but effective. :thumbs:

JamesPJ
20-10-2004, 22:03
So, once the fecker is cut, block both ends and that's it, rite????

Aitch
20-10-2004, 22:11
Yep - the EGR pipe can just be crimped but the manifold needs blocking properly - the most effective way is to weld a bold into the hole.

NissanNewbie
20-10-2004, 22:14
Not really necessary to block both end, block the exhaust end definately or your gonna set fire to something and loose turbine drive, if you disconnect the egr valves which sit on the inlet side of the engine then by rights the valve should never open and never allow air into the inlet.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

So big sharp chisel and welt the buggery out of it. I used a big old london pattern screwdriver. :D

NissanNewbie
20-10-2004, 22:16
Yep - the EGR pipe can just be crimped but the manifold needs blocking properly - the most effective way is to weld a bold into the hole.

Aitch is that right???? I agree completely on the manifold bit, but i thought the gasses were only circulated on opening of the valves? :confused:

So in theory if the valves can't operate due to vacuum pipe being disconnected then the pipe itself could be left off. :confused:

Ignore that, i just re-readed your post, and it makes complete sense now.

JamesPJ
20-10-2004, 22:17
Cheers for all the help!!! :thumbs:

Aitch
20-10-2004, 22:23
I really need to get round to having the rest of the now redundant EGR system removed, purely as a weight saving measure, but the Starion and Aitch Towers are taking up all my time. :rolleyes:

Aitch
20-10-2004, 22:24
Ignore that, i just re-readed your post, and it makes complete sense now.
I'm glad you understand - I haven't got a clue how it works, just that it does :wack:

makka_s
21-10-2004, 20:22
I've had a useless peice of info for ages, now I have a chance to share it :wack:
The hole in the manifold when the egr pipe is removed is a 24mm metric thread, a plug can be bought from any good hose and hydrollic (sp) shop for a couple of quid! :thumbs:

JamesPJ
21-10-2004, 20:28
Cheers for that mate, might not be so useless after all!!! :thumbs:

Drifter
21-10-2004, 20:28
oh and it may easier and cheaper to get a manifold off a 14a they dont have the hole in for the B****RD ,F******G CHAV DESIGNED PIPE

My S14a had an S14 manifold but blanked with a nut. Sodding thing got wedged behind the breather pipe at the back of the engine! Still easier than having the stupid EGR pipe though :thumbs: