PDA

View Full Version : More bits for my stage 2 tune!!!!

Jolly F
15-10-2004, 15:22
Ok, looks like this may be getting underway soon and i wandered if the more experianced can give me a few bits of info...

The next bits to put on are: -
Z32 and Apexi Super Suction Kit
Tubular Manifold with gaskets and oil/water flex feeds
Turbo Elbow
62mm Throttle Body
And a new map of course

I was also thinking of the GReddy inlet plenum Bren/Apex offer. This is what i would like to know if worth the £300 or not?

My current stage of tune is 300bhp and 368lb/ft at the hubs (see spec). The above is more for breathing, after this i will need a bigger turbo as its maxed out at 370bhp.

I also don't want to loose much/if any of my torque as drivability is more important than top end power. Track driving more than Drag...

Is there anything else i should be thinking about at this point?

JSF
15-10-2004, 15:27
leave it alone and spend the money having fun using it, your car looks great as it is.

Alternatively, is there an area outside the engine spec you feel could be improved upon in the aplication you use most?

Jolly F
15-10-2004, 15:34
Thanks.

Yep, but i'm fitting the tein flex on saturday and the Sparco seats are on there way the week after.

I've had most of the above in my shed for over 6 months, its just that extra bit that i've wanted to do. Plus a few people have been catching me up of late. Its just the fine tune stage to me. Then i'll leave it alone and as you say start enjoying it...

JSF
15-10-2004, 15:46
Well just bear in mind going for more power normally loses you low down torque and drivability. You have to be careful with some tubular headers because they may have larger primaries which can lose you spool, moving the torque curve up the rpm range. It depends on the design, basically the ones that work at high power dont work as well at low rpm. It's all about balancing the requirements that will give you the type of response you want.

steve(s14a)
15-10-2004, 16:35
Stage 2 tune heh? :p

We are definately going to have to go for a drive when we get our cars back on the road! :nod: :D

I tell you the reason why I went for the tubular manifold mate (in case you are having any doubts). Initially, as JSF points out, I really wanted to keep low down torque and have a broader spread of power. Hence the reason not to get a huge beast of a turbo.

But recently I have been getting worried, as at about 350 - 360bhp you are pretty much running at the max of the manifold. Probably ok for short bursts, but I guess sustained foot to the floor action is going to result in much higher temps, what with all those exhaust gases trying to get out of such a small hole. ;)

So I have realised that you can't have everything :annoyed: and have capitulated to buying the tubular version. So I guess it is probably a good idea! :thumbs:

disco-tom
15-10-2004, 17:37
What about these Log Type tubular manifolds? What sort of power/torque characteristics do they display.

Jolly F
16-10-2004, 13:41
Stage 2 tune heh? :p

We are definately going to have to go for a drive when we get our cars back on the road! :nod: :D

Its jolly's stage two tune :D not a proper stage two if there is such a thing like the S13's have. I think it would be a higher number then ;)

Are you going for the same mods/bhp than me then steve? We'll have to do the A339 and A272 with ***** down to the coast in the summer...

My Flywheel figure was 'calculated' to 360bhp. Which means like you say, the manifold and the S14 AFM are at there limits. I have been told the manifolds bren do (ss autochrome i think), spool up quicker. Either way i need to get it done. Your were going for a HKS for approx £600 weren't you. Are they that much better for the extra £450???

There doesn't seem to be much opinion on the GReddy inlets or anything else i may have forgot...

steve(s14a)
17-10-2004, 11:45
Unfortunately whatever I do is going to be limited to what the standard engine can take and that includes the standard headgasket too! Hoping for 320 @ the hubs, so realistically about 355 @ the fly?

Just tweaking what I had before by using some cams and a tubular manifold to help the top end. I didn't have rear arms or the EDFC last time either, so I thought I would stick them on just to round things off and make the most out of the TEINs.

Are you going to be getting a larger turbo and if so, what sort of turbo are you going for? Or are you just trying to make the most of your current setup too by improving the breathing etc?

As for the Greddy Plenum, I'm not sure you need this unless running close to 500bhp. Although this is only based on what I 'think' I remember from talking to other people. :)

steve(s14a)
17-10-2004, 11:51
Your were going for a HKS for approx £600 weren't you. Are they that much better for the extra £450???

Getting the HKS one was only based purely on the fact that I wanted the very best to make the most out of my turbo, whether it is worth 3 times the price... I doubt it.

I was considering getting a Sub-zero one instead as Norris seems to be able to get these cheap @ £399 on their website! :Plug:

But then I read that Ben had his crack, but that his HKS one was still going strong, so I plumped for the latter. This probably doesn't mean anything, as I have no idea if Ben's HKS one has been on the car for anywhere near as long as his Sub-zero one was! But it swayed my descision enough to get the HKS anyway. :wack: