PDA

View Full Version : ecu resetting?

kev1nc
13-10-2004, 21:24
hi people, i have recently fitted full goose, decat and apexi induction. do i need to reset ecu? :confused:

Drifter
13-10-2004, 21:43
Don't know if you have to or not, but I would. For the sake of disconnecting the battery for a few hours, what have you go to loose :thumbs:

cgfootman
17-10-2004, 14:07
Does this make a big difference?

SM
17-10-2004, 14:11
Does this make a big difference?
If at some point you have experianced knock/det/pinking then the ECU wqill retard the timing accross the whole range.
If you have ever had 1)Shit Fuel, 2)Extreme intake temps ....
Then the timing may be retarded, reset the ECU to start the process again.
If you have never done it its worth doing.
If you've run both 95 and 98 RON fuel its worth doing shortly after switching back to 98RON.

Duff Man
17-10-2004, 16:28
Is there anything to bear in mnid when resetting the ecu/disconnecting the battery?

Does the alarm go off or lose the keyfob stuff?

My car is 4yrs old and the previous owner used to run it on supermarket fuel :eek: , since i only use optimax this might be a good thing to do? I have no engine modifications.

Cheers!

AD

Ollie
17-10-2004, 16:33
Ooh didn't know bout this! What is the process then? Disconnect the battery for how long?

dexteruk
17-10-2004, 16:58
also keen to hear about this

SM
17-10-2004, 17:35
Well, to be honest I dont know.
Some people say 30Secs (just crank the key while disconnected to discharge)
Others 30mins ..
or a few hours.

I would do as long as you can....

Some S14's have issues with alarms, make sure you have your master keys ;)

Ollie
17-10-2004, 17:52
Sorry.

Crank the key to discharge what?

SM
17-10-2004, 18:07
Sorry.

Crank the key to discharge what?
The last of the charge in the car once the battery's disconnected.
The starter motor has the least resistance, but as the battery isnt connected it wont crank, come to think of it... its on a relay anyway, so you will only drain via the relay.
Probably be best hitting the brake pedal, discharge the internal capacitors of the wiringloom/ECU and it will hopefully go back to jap 100RON settings, and back off depending how your car runs.

kkydd
17-10-2004, 18:12
I recently made one of the consult readers found on this forum, can I use that as I don't have the master key for my alarm and don't want the key fob to stop working.

or can you not just disconect the ECU from the car and leave in your house for say 24 hrs

Kent 200SX
17-10-2004, 20:17
After I fitted my Apexi induction kit and mongoose decat, fuel consumption increased quite a lot. Disconnected the battery overnight and bingo - back to normal consumption again (i.e. about 300 miles on a tank, normal driving). So I would recommend doing the battery disconnect malarky. No problems with alarms, fobs, etc. It worked a treat.

kev1nc
17-10-2004, 20:50
thanks chaps thats just what i wantd to hear. :thumbs:
now am i correct in thinking that i just disconnect the -ve? :confused:

Drifter
18-10-2004, 07:22
thanks chaps thats just what i wantd to hear. :thumbs:
now am i correct in thinking that i just disconnect the -ve? :confused:

Thats all I ever do. You could just disconnect the ECU, but there may be some backup power in the little blighter, so you might need to keep it disconnected for about 6 weeks :wack:

I have left mine over night and no probs with alarm, you just get a beep when you re connect the -ve onto the battery. Keyfobs should :confused: still work :indiff:

kkydd
18-10-2004, 11:34
Drifter, if it is backed up then disconecting the -ve would have the same effect as disconecting the ECU.

Can't risk the alarm loosing it is settings.

roscopervis
18-10-2004, 11:44
I tried to disconnect my battery the other day and the flipping alarm kept going off. How do I disable it??

Drifter
18-10-2004, 11:55
Drifter, if it is backed up then disconecting the -ve would have the same effect as disconecting the ECU.

Can't risk the alarm loosing it is settings.

If you leave the ecu plugged in, disconnect the -ve and and turn on your head lights. The lights will then drain every possible bit power including the ecu and therefore clear any backup.

If you are worried about the alarm try un plugging the ecu all night, it may work :thumbs: Other that that you can get Nissan to reset the ecu.

andy14a
18-10-2004, 12:15
Just checked in the s14 manual, Quote

"If battery terminal is disconnected the memory will return to the ECM value. The ECM will now start to control at its initial value. Engine operration can vary slightly when the terminal is disconnected"

EMC is the engine control unit......i reset mine by just disconecting the negative terminal for a few minutes and it seem to make a difference!!!!!
Do it when the engine is warm so u can drive it hard on re-connection. Its suposed to remember ur driving style!!!! And keep using the optimax:)

andy14a
18-10-2004, 12:18
sorry ECM is engine control module! same thing as ECU i think!!!!!!

Duff Man
18-10-2004, 16:52
I tried to disconnect my battery the other day and the flipping alarm kept going off. How do I disable it??

This is what I heard might happen as it is a security measure. Doesnt the alarm have its own battery backup system?

Is there some sort of key for turning off the siren?

AD

Drifter
19-10-2004, 08:42
This is what I heard might happen as it is a security measure. Doesnt the alarm have its own battery backup system?

Is there some sort of key for turning off the siren?

AD

I am not saying that the 200 is the same, but Vectra alarms go off when you disconnect the battery. They have a backup power source which runs out and the alarm stops in about 30 seconds. Seems longer when the alarm is going off :eek: Doesn't make any difference to the settings either.

Kent 200SX
19-10-2004, 08:42
As long as you have unlocked the car using the red button on the keyfob, the alarm should not go off because you have disabled it with the fob. Just disconnect the battery, lock the car up for the night with the key, then just reconnect the battery in the morning. Job done.

The alarm would only go off via internal battery backup if someone tried to disconnect the battery without having disabled the alarm with the keyfob first.

roscopervis
19-10-2004, 12:41
Nope definately keyfobbed unlocked, door open, went to take positive terminal off and alarm starts blaring!! Pretty annoyed about that. Cant find ino as to how to turn it off. ECU could do with a reset

cHiL
19-10-2004, 13:18
you should be taking the negative terminal off:eek: Oh and just take it off for a couple of mins should be fine. You could also do it by pulling the plug to the ECU butNever EVER disconnect your ECU with the ignition on. Just pop off the neg terminal on your battery for a couple of mins and that should reset ur ecu:thumbs:

fozzie
19-10-2004, 15:13
I did this to mine today :nod: as when cold it would not change up very smoothly ie-: will hold gears when cold to about 3000rpm not good :eek: forgot to say AUTO :(
i disconected battery, drained out any power left by turning on lights & trying to start left it for a few mins then re-connected it all back up.
started her up there was a beep from the alarm nothing to worry about i let it run a few mins then took her out....what a difference changes up really smoothly now :thumbs:
deffinatly worth doing