PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a EVO 6 FMIC

kkydd
13-10-2004, 15:04
Okay, I have just aquired one from Dan S13 :thumbs: .

did a quick search but don't really see much about how much it is going to cost or how to fit this.

Lennie I know you have 1 like to share how difficult / expensive it is to fit.

Bren could you pipe kit be modified to fit an evo intercooler.

SM
13-10-2004, 15:30
I advise you Speak to DME (Traders Section), they can sort the samco's and joiners you need, me and Mono Phil used them for our GTR intercoolers, you would need a **similar** run to that.
Bren has a big box of Samco and joiners also, putting them together into a kit is possible, but you will need to tell him exactly what you need.

kkydd
13-10-2004, 15:36
at the moment I have no clue guess I am going to have to strip the car down first and start from there, just got quoted over £300 for a tuner to do it.

archenemy.co.uk
13-10-2004, 15:54
Okay, I have just aquired one from Dan S13 :thumbs: .

did a quick search but don't really see much about how much it is going to cost or how to fit this.

Lennie I know you have 1 like to share how difficult / expensive it is to fit.

Bren could you pipe kit be modified to fit an evo intercooler.

Lennie got a hardpipe kit off somebody who smacked their cooler and bought a new kit :wave: so he was lucky

Dano or Skidz (DME) could help you with this, or one of brens kits would probably work - only thing is the Evo cooler isn't so long so you may have problems with a ready made setup.

I've got some silicone off cuts from mine (as the hoses come very long) which may be some use.

See this thread (http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=102316) for more details on what you'll need look on the last page - also has a link to SMs piccys :thumbs: at least it gives you an idea of how it all might go together

kkydd
13-10-2004, 15:59
so I could say use brens kit but extend the silcone joiners in order to reach the narrower intercooler. Out of interest how much do u want for the offcuts and what diameter are they.

archenemy.co.uk
13-10-2004, 16:03
I did my run in 65mm tube so they are a min of 65mm, no bends, some 70mm and 80mm also in there.

Work out what you need first then let me know.

You'll need some custom stuff made up as you're going from 50mm at the end of the hotpipe to 60mm on the cooler tanks, then to 70mm on the Plenum.

If I were you I might run it in 60mm SS tube (thats what some of the kits use) then you don't need so many expensive reducing elbows :thumbs:

You'd still need a 50-60 and a 60-70

Brens kit goes through the wing. Just so as you know - like SMs. Not like mine

You could do a run like this:

Hot side
50mm diam 90 degree silicone elbow through wing
50mm diam SS silicone hose connector
50-60mm silicone elbow 90 degrees
approx 300mm straight SS 60mm diameter
60mm diam 90 degree silicone elbow

COOLER

Cold side
60mm diam 90 degree silicone elbow
90 degree 60mm SS bend through battery tray
60mm 45 degree silicone bend
approx 250mm straight SS 60mm diameter with takeoffs as required for FPR
15mm, to actuator 6mm and BOV 35mm as std
60-70mm diam 45 degree silicon elbow to plenum

Or similar.....
The GTR coolers SM and I used have end tanks which bend through 45 degrees, plus the Silicone bends come long and you cut them to size so the above should be quite flexible :thumbs:

kkydd
13-10-2004, 16:05
cheers mono, i'll get the car striped down this weekend and start figuing out what I need.

archenemy.co.uk
13-10-2004, 16:15
see above for edit :thumbs:

mike_s14
13-10-2004, 16:30
I had one of those in my garage for 4 years as I couldnt be arsed to fit it :wack: eventually sold it to a mate who fitted it to his gtir

put a hybrid on mine a couple of months ago, half a day to fit easy :)

kkydd
13-10-2004, 20:16
Okay next month I am going to speak to bren very very nicely and see if I can use his intercooler fitting kit with slight bodging to fit. if this works it could be the a very cheap alternative to a total custom job.

archenemy.co.uk
13-10-2004, 21:25
I had one of those in my garage for 4 years as I couldnt be arsed to fit it :wack: eventually sold it to a mate who fitted it to his gtir

put a hybrid on mine a couple of months ago, half a day to fit easy :)

Thats a shame because with the above info you could have fixed it up and had it running 3 years 11 months and 3 weeks before the hybrid :wack:

kkydd - we've made it easy for you, go to DME or similar and ask for the above and fit it all in a day yourself :thumbs:

kkydd
13-10-2004, 21:43
i'll give dme a call and see what they say as well cheers for the info

Lennie
14-10-2004, 07:29
Ive got a evo 6 cooler. It fitted easily. The bumper doesnt need cutting, just fog lamp removal :) I got the pipes from someone who crashed. the hot sode is made by hybrid and the cold side by blitz. all the existing pipes i had from the blitz / hybrid / evo fitted so i didnt have to buy any new pipes :D

All i had to do was relocate the battery into the boot with a nice clamp for the battery terminal the i got. If you want one then ive got some for £6.50 inc postage. They let you move the battery intoi the boot without chopping the wires in the engine bay so you dont have to arse about soldering and can return the car back to standard easily. :thumbs:

heres a pic.

http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11779

You know you want one.

Good luck with fitting the cooler, it will be easy if you have a pipe kit.

mike_s14
19-10-2004, 12:06
Thats a shame because with the above info you could have fixed it up and had it running 3 years 11 months and 3 weeks before the hybrid

Not really for one its quite a small cooler and I would only have had to uprate it now anyhow :nod:

plus its a real ball ache to get the pipework to fit :wack:

Lennie
19-10-2004, 12:20
Not really for one its quite a small cooler and I would only have had to uprate it now anyhow :nod:

Why? are you running over 400BHP? :confused:

archenemy.co.uk
19-10-2004, 12:29

Its good for 400bhp on an Evo, are you going bigger than that? really?

A bigger FMIC just sits behind the bumper, not the best use for it

Its not a ball ache If I or DME tells you what you need and you order it and it arrives on your doorstep. Its a ball ache if you have to run round working it all out for yourself but you don't have to do that, I did. :)

choose the Hybrid its easy,
choose to do it yourself and save at least £100 over the hybrid
choose to do it yourself over a Jap branded cooler and save £200
Choose to do it yourself over the Pace chargecooler group buy save £300
Choose to do it yourself over the Pace chargecooler norm price save £500

tell me my R34 GTR cooler doesn't look the business and do a very good job, and give me satisfaction...........

Plus the other day a hybrid owner commented on how mine fitted better than his :wack:

Each to their own :thumbs:

Kkydd I wish you good luck I'm sure it will all work out nicely for you and you'll get the result you want which will be plenty enough for even a 350bhp 200sx :thumbs: And if you want to change the cooler to a bigger branded on, buy a hybrid one off Ebay, even buy one bigger than the one that comes in the kit - it should have 60mm endtanks and you could fit it to your pipe kit :thumbs:

Mike, stop putting him off :)

mike_s14
19-10-2004, 16:26
Its good for 400bhp on an Evo, are you going bigger than that? really?

Mike, stop putting him off :)

The one I had was off a evo 2 and was quite small, so wouldnt support 400bhp that efficiently, but no I'm not up to 400bhp but might be up to 350bhp if I get the apexi fc :nod:

As for pipework, 4 years ago nobody had a kit available, so I was going to do my own but I could only get 50mm bent which also caused a restriction so in the garage the cooler stayed :rolleyes: until my mate put it on his gtir ;)

but like you state its everybody to there own :)

archenemy.co.uk
19-10-2004, 16:37
the Evo Coolers were improved over time, kkydds got a Evo 6 one like Lennie - its probably the best available.

If you go to the right place you can get bigger pipe than my 65mm ready bent :D

kkydd
19-10-2004, 18:49
Mono - Looking at the list above does yours use the existing hot pipe. Your list looks really simple going to price up the two, not bothered about ss pipes as I can get chromed steel ones dirt cheap. Only thing is my end tanks are at 45 degree angles pointing to the ground is this right?

Mono - I know there is a link to yours and sm's install but I can't find it could u pm me it or post it here.

Cheers

Lennie
19-10-2004, 19:36
no the end tanks dont point at the ground. they have a angle of about 10 degrees, its noting to worry about.
you can just about see it in the attached pic.

kkydd
19-10-2004, 20:56
Lennie Cheers for the pic that is what I have. going to start this in two weeks :eek:

I am going to take loads of pictures of the pipe work in order to post up here so people can see how to do this.

archenemy.co.uk
19-10-2004, 22:01
Mono - Looking at the list above does yours use the existing hot pipe. Your list looks really simple going to price up the two, not bothered about ss pipes as I can get chromed steel ones dirt cheap. Only thing is my end tanks are at 45 degree angles pointing to the ground is this right?

Mono - I know there is a link to yours and sm's install but I can't find it could u pm me it or post it here.

Cheers

Go to the 4th post in this thread and click through the link in the text in my post.

SM has edited the thread to direct you to the bit you need in that thread

With your end tanks you just rotate the last 90 degree elbows on your pipe run and they will meet the cooler, thats the easy bit about this bends and straight method - theres loads of adjustment in it. The Evo outlets point down to the road where as the GTR ones point back in to the car :thumbs:

kkydd
20-10-2004, 21:22
Lennie - did you use the mounting points that were already on the intercooler or did you get your own made up and put on?

Mono - Again big thanx to you for all the information. I am going to go for it very shortly, and hope that I can keep the cost to a minimum.

Lennie
20-10-2004, 22:31
PM sent