Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does a catch can become necessary?

Rides

When does a catch can become necessary?

What sort of power level is it deemed wise to fit a catch tank?

Do norris or others recommend a particular stage?

Do they often need empyting/cleaning?

Rides
    i think theyre good to have all the time, whatever mods - to stop crap flowing about the system?

Rides
    What exactly is a catch-can - apart from a shiny chrome thing?

Rides
    when you're boosting it is meant to catch the air (and oil) which is coming through your breather hoses. instead of recircuilating it via the air intake.

Rides
    Oil coming from where... the turbo bearings? I see. So it effectively filters the air as it is recirculated (for those not running an atmospheric BOV)?

Rides
    one way is my way it uses two one-way valves, some hose, a t-piece, any container will do for the catch tank as long as it can vent to atmosphere.

http://turandot.net/cars/catchcansetup.jpg

it burns the oil fumes on idle but sends them out to the catch tank on boost. arrows indicate only possible direction of flow as limited by the one way valves.

Rides
    Ahhhh. I see... sort of. I take it they are a "good thing" then.

Rides
    the super shiney catch tanks (no offence to traders! ) you see around are recirculating generaly. they sit between the pipe before the turbo (just behind the air filter) and the lump's breather hoses.

the oil they catch is from the breathers. you want to catch it because it degrades the quality of air/fuel mixture and generaly clogs up your intercooler.

Rides
    I think some come with a filter to go over the out hole. If it doesn't have a filter over it it's sucking in unfiltered air when it's under vacuum.

Rides
    Originally posted by vinny_vice
    Oil coming from where... the turbo bearings? I see. So it effectively filters the air as it is recirculated (for those not running an atmospheric BOV)?
    Think its something to do with excess oil vapours originally from around the valve train area being forced into the intake at higher boost pressures. There's always a bit, but I think when there's too much it can contaminate the afm wire and contaminate the fuel to a certain degree....effectively reducing the octane no. I think I read somewhere on here...

So er should I fit one and how much are cusco's?
    Seen greddy version on takakaira too, in either 10mm or 15mm pipe versions. Not sure which version fits S14a.

Do I have to remove the carbon cannister if I fit one? i'd rather leave it there (and working) if it's not affecting anything else.

Rides
    Originally posted by voodoo_melon
    I think some come with a filter to go over the out hole. If it doesn't have a filter over it it's sucking in unfiltered air when it's under vacuum.
    thats yet another kind, arguabley the cheapest and commonest you have a filter on the one end of the catch, the other side connects by hose to your breathers and you block up the hole in the pipe before the turbo (2 inches of hose, a door knob and a sturdy jubilee will do.

Rides
    Originally posted by DanS14
    Think its something to do with excess oil vapours originally from around the valve train area being forced into the intake at higher boost pressures. There's always a bit, but I think when there's too much it can contaminate the afm wire and contaminate the fuel to a certain degree....effectively reducing the octane no. I think I read somewhere on here...

So er should I fit one and how much are cusco's?
    Seen greddy version on takakaira too, in either 10mm or 15mm pipe versions. Not sure which version fits S14a.

Do I have to remove the carbon cannister if I fit one? i'd rather leave it there (and working) if it's not affecting anything else.
    it can't contaminate the AFM (afaik!) because as standard the hose connects to a pipe behind the afm so as to avoid the need to remeasure the air. That is how it looks to me, at least.

Rides
    you can see I've spent many nights obsessing about these things

Rides
    i run my outlet from my cat tank without a filter, afaik it doesnt cause a serious problem, and someone on the board had serious issues of oil going everywhere because the filter on the end of the outlet was blocking the flow out!

Rides
    Originally posted by ATrull
    one way is my way it uses two one-way valves, some hose, a t-piece, any container will do for the catch tank as long as it can vent to atmosphere.

http://turandot.net/cars/catchcansetup.jpg

it burns the oil fumes on idle but sends them out to the catch tank on boost. arrows indicate only possible direction of flow as limited by the one way valves.
    Shame that way wouldn't work. The engine would not be able to breathe unless it was boosting. This will kill your oil and wreck any part of the engine that needs oil.

Rides
    Originally posted by Martin T
    Shame that way wouldn't work. The engine would not be able to breathe unless it was boosting. This will kill your oil and wreck any part of the engine that needs oil.
    If it's boosting, it's forcing it air out through the catch tank vent, if it's sucking it pulls it in through the intake.

Rides
    Can someone just clarify if a filter is needed for a catch tank outlet??

Surely the idea is to get enough shite out of the engine, not restrict it with a filter?
    And besides the cusco kit comes with everything, even a sized blocking bung, so the japs must have thought that a filter wasnt necessary?

Rides
    Originally posted by voodoo_melon
    If it's boosting, it's forcing it air out through the catch tank vent, if it's sucking it pulls it in through the intake.
    well, thats how I designed it.

Martin T - those arrows represent one way valve flow.

If there's pressure or vacuum, one of the valves will be open. Engines hardly ever stay at atmospheric pressure while running afaik.
    Last edited by ATrull; 27-01-2004 at 22:23.

Rides
    I think I see what you mean now.
    Do you mean a setup like this?

If so then thats an excellent idea and removes the need for a filter and stops unmetered air from getting to the plenum. Why the catch can kits dont do this I have no idea
    Last edited by Martin T; 28-01-2004 at 01:12.

Rides
    I've still got more questions about what you think then, I'll continue it on the thread in the post above