Thread: LSD Fitting

Rides

LSD Fitting

Hi finally got a lsd, ive searched old posts but just wanting to check do I need any special tools to fit the lsd??

Thanks

Flamethrower
    Rides
    A jack will always help The diff weighs a fair bit so in order to get it as high as the car use a scissor jack.

Dan

Rides
    I would say jack the car up as high as you can get it, then use spare wheels to go under the rear wheels and keep the front chocked so it won't move. You need to unplug some elctrics (3 plugs in all, two on the cover at the rear and one hangs above) and drain the diff oil. start unbolting the prop (4 x 14mm bolts) then do the sides (they have 6 12mm nuts and bolts so you need two spanners) undo the anti roll bar (4 17mms) finally unbolt the rear cover (4 14mms) and get ready to push the whole thing towards the front of the car (at which point gravity takes over) and rest the front of the diff on the now lowered ARB. The only thing remaining is two hoses which needs to be disconnected using a small phillips and some mad bendy arm skills (smaller hands/arms are good for this job). Once done lower the diff out, remove the back cover and put it onto your new one... you may aswell use the drain plug to fill your new diff before it goes on but cover where your hoses connect to or you'll lose all your oil (speaking of which you need 1.5litres of good thick oil - 80-90w or thicker recommended)...

putting it back on is the reverse process, but you'll want a jack (trolley jack recommended) jack the thing up, hang the front on the ARB and connect the hoses (quite difficult but once done plain sailing) then just get everything back together.

No special tools need then, just spanners but you'll need two 12's and two 14's if memory serves correctly. and a trolley jack.. and axle stands or better yet wheels
    Last edited by Sibbers; 06-11-2006 at 18:46.

Rides
    Wot he said! Allow about 5 hours as well Not overly difficult just fiddly. To get to the bolts hiding at the top jack up the wheel and rotate it enough to get to them. You will need 2 people and a jack to do the job properly though. Good luck
    Last edited by Mint_Sauce; 12-05-2004 at 16:49.

Rides
    Dude, if we hammered it we could do it in 2 hours I reckon. It's just the whole not knowing thing.

But yeah, like Mint said - good luck pal

Rides
    Oh yeah, talking of Once all the bolts are out of the diff cover, put a towel over it and give a good smack to get it off.

Rides
    Cool thanks for the advise guys I will be attempting the awap on Friday. Im all tooled up, got my oil and will have my wheatabix b4 I start

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz
    Hi finally got a lsd, ive searched old posts but just wanting to check do I need any special tools to fit the lsd??

Thanks
    Where do you get the LSD diff, and how it looks, can you tell the price, of course?

Rides
    wow, old thread

Rides
    and what great advice too! (even though thicker oil makes no difference to the locking effect of the diff - whoops!)

I'm still really up for buying a nismo LSD from ebay... do they fit straight into open diff housing or LSD diff housing? or both? anyone know? welded diffs seem like a bit of a bodge to me (especially with the standard rubber bush in the steering column being so soggy... car doesn't want to turn, then it does all at once... not exactly precision!)

Rides
    also i did mine without lowering the arb

Rides
    im just doing mine now.. how the hell do you get the driveshafts out of the diff? just yank?

Rides
    Nevermind, i did it now, the ****ing diff landed on my finger tho :|

Rides
    ouch! Not exactly the lightest things in the world are they

Rides
    Yeah tell me about it, I have a nice gash in my finger, and the top of the knuckle looks a little ****ed to say the least ..

inside my diff it looked like something from terminator, the oil wasnt oily, looked more like liquid metal, and the drain plug on it had all bits of metal fragments attatched to the magnet :/ its welded but surely it shouldnt be doing that.. hmm?

Rides
    Sounds like the weld has broken - when this happens lots of pieces of weld get ground between the diff gears and you end up with oil like you've described

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by playworker
    Sounds like the weld has broken - when this happens lots of pieces of weld get ground between the diff gears and you end up with oil like you've described
    Yup, that's the downside of filling your diff up with ickle bits of weld, not all of em take