Thread: Guide - Installing SR20 ECU blinking LED - MIL

Rides

Guide - Installing SR20 ECU blinking LED - MIL

Right guys,

Got an S13 with an SR20 and been having running problems. So decided to install the blinking LED which comes standard in the S14's so i do some fault finding.

Best place to start is with the SR20 installation guide, found here.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=212515

Top write up by Mr bennet, however i found the section on the malfunction light a little confusing so after getting in touch with John, i got it sorted. But thought i'd pass on the knowledge here

My wiring loom is an S14 without the F4 connector so i had to splice into the Ecu plug wires. Although i will try to include the 14a bits here too. If you still have the F4 plug then you could splice your wires in there, but for this guide i'll stick with the Ecu plug.

Things you'll need

A 12v LED (removes the need for a resistor)
    A switch (i prefer a push to make)
    Some cable

Soldering iron and solder and maybe some heat shrink if you fancy.

First off you need to take two wires from the ECU wiring loom.

you need the diagnostics wire from the ecu. This is an orange wire and is located at pin 32 on the s14 and pin 24 on the 14a.

here is the orange wire at pin 32

I then cut away the sheath (NOT cutting the copper wire) and soldered my new wire on to it.

I want to put my LED into the centre console so I made sure i had enough length in my cable. Be mindful of where you intend to mount your LED and long enough to reach.

The second wire you'll need from the ECU is the 'check wire' this is on pin 47 on the s14 and 23 on the 14a. On the 14 i found that it was a green wire with a red strip.

you can see it here, 4th one in from the left

Again I cut the sheath away and soldered my new cable onto this wire.

Ok so now you should have two long wires coming off the ECU loom.

The wiring for the two cables is as follows:

Diagnositc wire (Orange wire) --> negative terminal on LED ---> positive LED terminal ---> Ignition live

Check wire --> switch --> Ignition live

Firstly with the orange wire you want to connect it to the short leg of the LED, this is the negative terminal. You want to attach the positive side to a 10amp ignition live. I decided to steal the stereo ignition live. You need to hard wire all this in. I used crimps on the live side because then i can remove it and play around as i ad more guages etc.

I also decided to use heat shrint on the LED to stop them touching

Thats your LED sorted

Then you need to take the check wire. and join it to one end of the switch and the other end to an ignition live. Again i stole the stereo live and choose a 'push to make' button as you only need to give the check wire power for about 2 seconds.

You should now have both wires all sorted.

When you turn on the ignition the LED should come on and stay on. Dont worry it will go off when you start the engine. I choose to mount mine like so

To activate it, turn the cars ignition on, but dont start it. Then press the button for 2 seconds and let go.

The light will start blinking. 5 slow blinks followed by 5 quick blinks means everything is normal.

You want to check the workshop manual for all the codes and how to test etc,

See here

http://180sx.strent.net/servicemanuals.php

Hope that helps
    Last edited by MagicMat; 30-06-2010 at 07:50.

Rides
    well i thought i'd at least get a "good guide" or summat,

I know of at least one other person that had problems wiring up the LED

Ah well its all good

Rides
    i think its a good write up dude, but im not rockin an sr so no use to me, should deffo be a sticky in the guides section tho

Rides
    Only just seen this, good write up fella No use to me unfortunately as I'm rocking a CA, but it's always nice to see a new "how to" added to the forum

Rides
    Lol, thanks for the sympathy comments fellas ... Appreciated, which is sad I know

I've stuck the link in the FAQ and useful threads section