Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another insurance thread

Rides

Unhappy Another insurance thread

Right, my insurance is up for renewal and I can find nobody else who will quote me. I've rang around and the excuses I've been given are the cars age (now 10 ), because it's jap, because it's modified & because it's a Silvia

It's a bloody non turbo S15, I'm 25, have 5 years NCB & 2 points. The extent of the Suspension mods is putting anybody I've spoken to off and I really don't want to renew with Quinn because they're prick$ and the renewal quote is a joke

So who are you with? I've checked the insurance thread but a lot of the names are no longer in business or have changed & no longer accept modified japs...

So far I've tried the following;
    • 123 (No Mods)
    • 25 plus (No Mods)
    • PIBA (won't quote over the phone & net doesn't provide place to list Mods)
    • FBD (Type of Mods - suspension)
    • Axa (No to model of car - Silvia)
    • Aviva (No Mods)
    • Zurich (No Japs or Mods)
    • Allianz (No Japs or Mods)
    • No Nonsense (No Modified Japs)
    • AA (No to model of car - Silvia)
    • One Direct [Hibernian] (Type of Mods)
    • & a couple of brokers including Travellers Insurance (Type of Mods - suspension)

I'm not interested in not declaring the modifications as you may as well not have insurance because they will screw you in the event of....

So who have I forgotten?

Update:
    • Daly Insurances (not for Silvia)
    • First Ireland (no due to type of mods)
    • Britton (no due to type of mods)
    • Cotters (no due to type of mods)
    • Lynskey Ryan
    • Frank Glennons (no due to type of mods)
    • Best Quote wouldn't quote with any mods
    • John Powers wouldn't quote due to model of car & type of mods
    • XS Direct - no mods
    Last edited by Trial_S15; 05-05-2010 at 12:17.

Rides
    I think Quinn have us by the bal*s on this one Colin, I think most (declared) people are with them.

However, I found these lads one night, not got around to ringing yet though:

http://www.dalyinsurances.ie/performance.html

Might be worth a punt

Rides
    Thanks Martin, I'll give them a bell tomorrow....

Anybody else??

Rides
    Hey Colin, don't know if it's any use to you, but Quinn were the only ones that did a decent quote for me

But in saying that, they wouldn't even quote me as a new customer when I tried to get quotes on the Type R, which is shocking considering they'd quoted me years ago before I bought the 200

On the other side, I did get a cheaper quote with 123.ie on both the 200 and R (and that was with the small excess - originally they had a €4,000 excess on policies).

Have you tried Brittons Insurance? They quoted me some decent quotes, albeit more expensive than Quinn when I was looking at all sorts years ago

Rides
    Cheers Colin I knew I was forgetting somebody! I've read about them before but couldn't for the life of me remember their name....

Rides
    I found that most of the above companies would not quote me, but they did give a quote through a broker.

Rides
    Cheers Twincam; I'll try some more so I've only tried 4 of those. Each of them offered me something then withdrew it when they checked with the Insurance company (eg local broker gave me quote with Travellers insurance but rang them to confirm mods & then withdrew ) Any good brokers? I've tried Cotters, Lynskey Ryan, Frank Glennons & a local place

Rides
    why dont you just say "its lowered 40-50mm" there is no point in going into mad detail because they havent a clue what you are talking about anyways...

try first ireland insurance...

Rides
    Insurance co's have to give you a quote, look for a supervisor if the call centre person won't quote over the phone and tell them you want a quote regardless of company policy, sometimes the quotes arent bad.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishpaddy View Post
    why dont you just say "its lowered 40-50mm" there is no point in going into mad detail because they havent a clue what you are talking about anyways...

The person in the call centre mightnt know what you are talking about and doesnt care anyway as its up to you to be honest about the vehicle(insurance is based on utmost good faith) but in the case of an accident the assessor will definatly know what he's looking at and at the very best you will be out of pocket for the value of the car and worst case scenario the insurance co. will come after you for the payouts they had to make to third parties as well as legal costs and expenses

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gofaster_s13 View Post
    The person in the call centre mightnt know what you are talking about and doesnt care anyway as its up to you to be honest about the vehicle(insurance is based on utmost good faith) but in the case of an accident the assessor will definatly know what he's looking at and at the very best you will be out of pocket for the value of the car and worst case scenario the insurance co. will come after you for the payouts they had to make to third parties as well as legal costs and expenses
    yes but if you tell them its lowered your not tell any lies? the assesor will come and see its lowered... provided its installed correctly he cant/wont do anything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishpaddy View Post
    yes but if you tell them its lowered your not tell any lies? the assesor will come and see its lowered... provided its installed correctly he cant/wont do anything.
    Provided that lowering is the only mod carried out

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gofaster_s13 View Post
    Insurance co's have to give you a quote, look for a supervisor if the call centre person won't quote over the phone and tell them you want a quote regardless of company policy, sometimes the quotes arent bad.
    I thought they were entitled to refuse due to vehicle age & modifications? I'll see if that gets me anywhere so because FBD, One direct & Travellers were offering me a quote until they took down the full list (ie would quote for "suspension" but when the underwriters came back and asked for a list of suspension mods they refused)

The car isn't just lowered spec is as follows;

• Driftworks CS2 coilovers
    • Whiteline Adjustable Anti Roll Bar (rear)
    • Front anti roll bar
    • Nismo suspension link bushes all round
    • Rear Toe Adjuster Rods
    • Rear Camber Adjuster Upper Arms
    • caster adjustable front tension rods
    • RSR Adjustable Front Strut Brace
    • Cusco rear Strut Brace (undershelf)
    • Apexi SR cat-back exhaust system
    • HKS induction kit with mushroom flter
    • Apexi Radiator & Blitz Spark Performer
    • 200SX calipers with discs, pads & lines

Rides
    I had the same problem when shopping around about two weeks ago. Most of the companies told me that they're just not covering the 180SX anymore. Try www.naasinsurance.ie. Was more expensive that my renewal quote from Travelers, but at least they quoted me.

Rides
    I've rang them a couple of times but always seem to ring when they're on lunch or finished for the day I'll try them again on Tuesday

Rides
    Out of interest what did you pay this year??

Rides
    Renewal last year was €1,800 & I argued it down to €1,600, renewal they're offering me now is €1,650 & they're not budging Bloody ridiculous because I can get insured for less on an Irish 350Z!!!!! Anybody in the market for a spec S

Rides
    Just remember the road tax is nearly 3 times as much!

Have you looked into trade insurance? You don't have to declare anything......

Rides
    How do you even go about getting trade insurance? Surely you need a garage owner to have you on their books?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    Have you looked into trade insurance? You don't have to declare anything......
    Err, yes you do.