Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Painted my headlight internals.

Rides

Painted my headlight internals.

Been toying with the idea for a while now. Well since my previous 200. Finally grew a pair and bit the bullet. I was dubious as i didnt really fancy buying a new headlight should i break it or not like it. Decided if i didnt like it id have to do it again and buy some chrome paint so had no excuse.

I searched on here for a guide but only found bits of conversations or people saying its a ba**ard of a job. After speaking to Adam (MisterAdam) and Jon (Jon200) i bit the bullet and shoved my headlights in the oven.

Thought id take a few pictures for reference of people in the future.

Obviously, take the headlights out.

All around the edge of the headlight are metal clips which hold the lense to the body of the light. Using a thin flat bladed screw driver carefully prise these off. Watch your eyes. One was particularly tight and when it did go, caught me square between the eyes.

(check the retro table cloth )

From memory there are 8. 3 on the top, 3 on the bottom and one on each end.

Next is the interesting bit. I pre heated the oven to 100 degrees. Once its up to temperature, place a headlight in there. Be carefull so the plastic body of the light isnt pressed against the edge or touching anything metal. Our oven was too small. Bit of a design fault by 'Tricity Bendix' i think. All i did was put it in and close the door as far as possible. Check the light regularly until its hot but not too hot to hold the glass.

Using a fine screwdriver and an old table knife, slowly start to separate the glass from the plastic unit. I started on the bottom luckily as the glass is uber delicate and kept chipping. Nothing drastic luckily. I had to return it to the oven to warm the end that was hanging out the open door. I found the safest plases to prise from were where the clips were, as the glass is thicker here; or the corners. After 5 or 10 minutes of gentle prising i had one end in which i managed to get my fingers. From here i slowly but firmly pulled the two halves apart.

Your then left with this:

The red arrows are pointing to the screws you need to do with a small phillips scredriver. The yellow arrows point to two plastic lugs which require a little gentle persuasion to be released.

You'll then be left with this:

There is a rubber seal attached to the bigger piece of plastic. Slide this off.

I then used some wet and dry to give the paint a key. The silver on the plastic is only very thin and comes off easily.

They were then primed using plastic primer, before being sprayed satin black.

Once dry the seal was re applied and then they were screwed back into place. (not before i managed to put a dirty great thumb print in one - respray )

Then place the glass lense back over the headlight unit and place back in the oven to re-soften the gunk.

Once warmed through again firmly press the two parts together and employ your little sister to put the clips back on. (Hoping that if they ping off again that they catch her between the eyes and not you)

TA DA !!!

Next morning mine had developed a bit of condensation. Hopefully its just where the paint wasn't 100% dry. If not they'll be back in the oven and then have some silicone in the join too.

Il get some proper pictures when its clean.

Do i get my blue peter badge now?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Looking good mate, Need to do the sidelights as well before you get your badge tho
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Maybe when its got a big shiny front mount. The front looks so black now it needs something to pick it back up. Hopefully next month should be the fmic and i may be able to wangle getting a kit earlish next year. Fingers crossed. Doesn't look three bad though. Quite like the contrast.

Rides
    'tis an exclusive club, but one full of winnars!

Looks ace dude

Rides
    Nice one I keep meaning to do this to mine, but knowing me I'd end up breaking them both

Rides
    have you noticed a reduciton in light ?? i like the look it gives, just that they're bad enough as they are, i can only imagine paining them black will make them worse.

i reckon you're going to have to reseal them too mate, the original adhesive will only be partially sealing.

good job though mate!

Rides
    It shouldn't affect light output, the actual reflectors that are used don't get painted

Rides
    For some reason this picture reminds me of the cars from "Days of thunder"

Rides
    Cheers Si, have you tinted your sidelights? That picture looks rOOD with capital 'O's

Nitrodave: I havnt driven it at night yet but they seemed as bright as usual on my driveway. As Voodoo Melon says, the reflectors are left un painted. AND . . fingers crossed my Hid's should have arrived today

Rides
    Good job!

But please clean that oven before you actually cook any food in it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Good job!

I was waiting for that . That was part of the deal . Suppose i better get to it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Good job!

I noticed that as well

Lights look good. I need to do this over winter.

Rides
    Good work fella, glad I could be of help

Remember if you do the sidelights don't leave them in aslong, I melted my first lot and they disfigured from being in too long

Rides
    Lookin' good mate, here's my attempt \/\/\/

Well, my purchase anyway Sadly I was not blessed with D.I.Y. skills

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    I noticed that as well

Lights look good. I need to do this over winter.
    In my next installment. Oven cleaning

Its my first time so il write my exploits as they happen. Wish me luck. Now, pink or yellow marigolds? hmmm

Rides
    Yay, your oven's worse than mine
    Yeah, I seperated the sidelight and gave them a few light coats of tint spray - enough to take the edge of the shiny silverness, but not to really effect the light.

To all the people asking about headlight output: doesn't affect it at all In fact, I swear you get a better, sharper beam cutoff on dipped beam. The dipped beam are projector, so the reflector type bits are just there to look pretty, and on the main beam the bits you paint that are near the housing are so small it's irrelevant, and I don't think they actually serve any purpose on the beam whatsoever.

It's one of those small mods that makes such a difference.
    I hate how it looks with clear repeaters though - tinting front and side indicators FTW Especially on black cars.

Oh, and I reckon it only really works on the darker colours - it just looks all odd on red ones imho.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It's one of those small mods that makes such a difference.
    I hate how it looks with clear repeaters though - tinting front and side indicators FTW Especially on black cars.
    Im after a kit next year i think so that'll have indicators in that and the repeaters may go if i get some wider wings. We shall see.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aideo View Post
    In my next installment. Oven cleaning

Its my first time so il write my exploits as they happen. Wish me luck. Now, pink or yellow marigolds? hmmm
    I only noticed because mine has needed doing for ages. I'm going to replace I think lol.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aideo View Post
    Im after a kit next year i think so that'll have indicators in that and the repeaters may go if i get some wider wings. We shall see.
    Tinted is a profit making exercise though
    Sell stupid money clear indicators, pick up stockos for pennies, and spray
    Et voila!
    Here's my old car with the black on black look (but I never got round to doing sidelights, they always stuck out like a sore thumb):