Thread: S14 Rear Hub Bearing - How to

Rides

S14 Rear Hub Bearing - How to

The following is just a guide and not to be taken as a definative proceedure. I will take no responsibility for any damage or personal injury suffered from following it.

Right thats the legal bullshit out the way

Tools required

Breaker Bar
    Ratchet
    14, 17, 19mm sockets
    Hub nut socket (32 or 36mm)
    Mallet
    Bearing pullers
    Pliers

1) Remove the centre cap from your wheel (you may need to remove the wheel to get this off and then refit the wheel) and remove the split pin (if you take the wheel off you can do this before refitting it). Crack off the hub nut. It would appear some cars are 36mm but some are 32mm, this may be age related as my 2000 registered car had the 32mm.

2) Jack the car up and support it correctly then remove the wheel.

3) Release the handbrake (making sure the car will not roll) and remove the caliper (14mm socket)

4) Remove the caliper bracket from the hub (17mm socket) bare in mind the bolts are made of cheese and the following can happen

5) Remove the disc - if its on tight it can be released by using 2 M8 bolts in the threaded holes on the centre of the disc.

6) Now undo and remove the 4 hub securing bolts (19mm socket). You can get to the bolt heads by revolving the driveshaft until one of the 3 impressions line up with each one in turn. Now fit the bearing pullers to the end of the hub

7) Wind the slack out of the pullers and withdraw the hub assembly off the hub carrier. You may need to use the mallet to help ease it off now and then whilst still winding in the pullers until its off.

You now have the hub assembly that needs seperating with a press

Once this is done fit the new bearing assembly and then bolt it all back together in the reverse order to removal
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    arite there i been using this to remove my wheel bearing and iv got no where i got to the bearing, got the bearin pullers on and actually snapped my pullers !!!! the bearing it ram jammed on there gd n propa i sprayed with wd40 and hit with hammer but no luck :/ any ideas ???????

Rides
    Take the 4 bolts out and then refit them with a few turns of thread. Resting the body of the bearing on something suitable, you can arrange it so the use of a hammer coaxes the bearing out of the hub.
    Hit it hard and then it should fall out

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    Take the 4 bolts out and then refit them with a few turns of thread. Resting the body of the bearing on something suitable, you can arrange it so the use of a hammer coaxes the bearing out of the hub.
    Hit it hard and then it should fall out
    This works but make sure the bolts are screwed in more than a few turns otherwise you will damage the threads

Done this earlier with s13 hubs and came out fairly easily after some good old fashioned stupidity

I tried whacking the 4 bolts while the whole lot was resting on the ground on the 4 wheel studs then i realised i aint gonna get very far, the 4 bolts were mostly screwed in and didnt damage the threads after some brutal whacking (yeah i took a while to click)

The 2nd hub was held up properly but only a few threads in, damaged the bolt threads

Rides
    so i got to take the hole thing off ?? becuase i am tryin to do this in possition ??

Rides
    Thanks for this guide Mark. I've got upto the stage in the last photo and began to press the hub from the bearing assy but part of the bearing housing has stayed on the hub (outside of the shaft). Does this bit normally get stuck? I was going to do both but when this happened I didnt press the second one incase I'd ****ed it!

Rides
    Take the whole knuckle off. Loosen the bolts and undo them a few mm each. Wack each one in turn with a hammer until the hub starts to move. Then undo each bolt another few mm wacking them in turn again. It will eventually pop out.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsink View Post
    Take the whole knuckle off. Loosen the bolts and undo them a few mm each. Wack each one in turn with a hammer until the hub starts to move. Then undo each bolt another few mm wacking them in turn again. It will eventually pop out.
    I don't suppose anyone knows what the sizes of the bearings required to be replaced??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ukracer View Post
    I don't suppose anyone knows what the sizes of the bearings required to be replaced??
    You don't just buy the bearing, you buy the bearing and mount as one unit then press the hubs back into them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    You don't just buy the bearing, you buy the bearing and mount as one unit then press the hubs back into them

That's the reason for asking . I would like to get the bearings from my supplier and press them on the hub myself. They are stupid prices from Nissan and I have no way of knowing how good third party ones are.

Rides

S14 Rear Hub Bearing - How to

It can't be done, the bearing is part of the mounting plate. I got mine for about £45 a beating from eBay

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    It can't be done, the bearing is part of the mounting plate. I got mine for about £45 a beating from eBay

I am getting confused.....I meant to say it was the front bearing I need sizes for.

Rides
    Same thing mate, can't be done, it's part of the hub. But I've just fitted these on mine and they're the cheapest I managed to find.....

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info.asp?id=4775

Cheap considering everybody else wants £150 a side.