Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: project s13 rust aarrghgh.

Rides
    passed!

hurrah, i now have an MOT with two advisories.

track rod ends have slight play (he told me to do the steering rack bushes too)

second advisory:

loads of welding done

genius. anyhow, car is ridiculously fast and sounds like the end of the world. that's all i need. no oil leaks, turbo is spot on.

muchos gracias to everyone that's helped me get this far, various conversations and help from people is very much appreciated.

first on the list - new track rod ends & steering rack bushes, then it's time to make it pretty
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Congrats buddy

Matthew

Rides
    good news

Rides
    I am most impressed!

Rides
    Well done that was a truly epic quantity of welding

I should have a replacement carpet for you in the next week or so

Rides
    cool, the s14 one i got isn't a good fit in the corners and has been annoying me for a while

anyone used the tein steering/track ends? thinking about these since they're only £40 more expensive than the equivalent pattern parts.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

Rides
    Nice one mate, couldn't think of a better result after all the work you have done
    Now get them advisorys done

Rides
    Fair play to you chap and ive now got a bit more faith in my project

How did you find shaping the plates and any tips for it ?

Rides
    Just read this thread, mucho impressed Amazing amount of work you have done I will probably jack up our S13 tomorrow to check for rust - You got me worried
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    for shaping plates i used my angle grinder. machinemart do 'plasma' discs ~1mm thick. bout 80p a go.

mostly i welded it on one edge and then shaped it on the car. bit of an ad-hoc approach, but most of the shapes i was doing were relatively simple.

the rust is a bitch - mine 'looked' relatively clean until you were underneath it.

oh and a status update - my very expensive os giken box is broken. yet to be determined problem.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    oh and a status update - my very expensive os giken box is broken. yet to be determined problem.
    Well, at least you've got a carpet, are you going to come and get it some time?

Rides
    as it happens, i'm in south wales next week, ostensibly on holiday but depending on where you're located, i could swing round

will pm you

oh and as per my thread in s13 tech, got the gearbox off in 1hr 20 mins. rather impressed

will be taking it to richard henry motorsport tomorrow
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 24-09-2008 at 18:34.

Rides
    if you still need a carpet i've got one you can have. if you find one of my old for sale threads there is a picture of it. need it out the way now.cant believe you did that much welding, fair play, most people would have re shelled.

Rides
    Just read this thread, fantastic effort there

A lot of useful information I'm buying a welder soon and that's given me plenty of pointers. Hope you get the gearbox sorted soon

Rides
    gearbox is done now and car is back on the road. i sort of forgot about this thread since the rust was done.

i'm using my old os giken 3rd gear as a coaster now and the old broken layshaft as an interesting conversation piece (it took a single tooth off the gear on the layshaft that runs third)

reading this back and looking at the pics makes me a bit sad as i think i can do it much better now - much more prep practice and confidence with the materials makes a lot of difference

i have much more patience when i'm welding now and don't try and do the 'hero' seam welding constantly. just do an inch at a time and keep calm

things i'm sorting out now:

2x gauge vent plate (put a 7" LCD in my double din slot so needed to relocate)
    fiddling with Nistune
    s14 master cylinder

needs aligning and the wheels refurbing too.

oh and it needs to go into the bodyshop
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 17-04-2009 at 19:01.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    i'm using my old os giken 3rd gear as a coaster now and the old broken layshaft as an interesting conversation piece (it took a single tooth off the gear on the layshaft that runs third)
    I guess you thought you'd broken your big ends again when that went ...

*BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*BANG*