Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo IC install

Rides

Volvo IC install. Lots of pics

Did my Volvo ic install today & took some pics which may be helpful to others.

Take the stock ic pipes off & the radiator.

Notice the carbon canister in the corner. Two bolts and it's gone. Blank off the two pipes which go from the canister to the plenum......

.....and shove the two remaining pipes one inside the other.

Next I offered up the Volvo ic and found that it wouldn't fit 'cause I needed a smaller battery. But being a bit skint I opted for grinding off part of the car so I could move the battery over enough

Next I connected the pipes up.

I found that I didn't have a pipe that would do for the plenum 'cause it's 70mm going down to 60mm so I shoved some 60id pipe on first & shoved it all in part of the original plenum hose(it's temperary till I find a suitable hose).

You also need a 13mm breather take off on the plenum hose. I used a Revotec self sealing one from Demon Tweeks, worked a treat.

Next it's rad back in & cut a bit off each rad hose so they run smoothly.

Put coolant back in rad, reconnect battery if disconnected & start her up. Watch your hands now as the fan shrouds missing. Almost forgot, make some brackets to hold the rad in place. I found that I didn't need to secure it at the bottom, it doesn't move. The ic is held in place.

Well that was yesterday, today I wrestled out the wing mounted ic (which was a pain) so I could make an air feed to the air filter.

Used some kind of concertina air ducting stuff I found in the shed & taped it to the back of the bumper vent.

Finished.

Don't think I missed anything. Next job is to take out the aircon rad.
    Job done & it works a treat.
    Hope this article is some use to somebody.
    Last edited by SNURDF; 10-04-2008 at 13:55.

Rides
    which volvo is that from? the inlet and oulet look in good positions. Did you notice it spool quicker or pull harder?

Rides
    I don't know what model it's off but Cabriolet has one for sale at the moment. Apparently good for over 300bhp.

Yes the car picks up better & pulls harder. Very worthwhile mod, cheap too.

Rides
    thats a saab intercooler. i know cause i pulled that same one from a saab.

i too noticed quite a difference on how that car drove too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by New200guy View Post

i too noticed quite a difference on how that car drove too.
    It has Volvo written on it somewhere, I wonder if it's used by both.

Rides
    interesting if it is cause i was at the breakers and pulled this same one exact from an older saab 9000 if i recall correctly. i thought the volvo ones had the inlets on the side and were a bit more of a pain to install due to piping.

Rides
    I had a volvo one on my last s13 & that was different.

Rides
    well done,i just need to know what angle pipes im going to need,and wheres the best place to buy them from?

Rides
    It depends really. I was lucky enough to have a few lengths of stainless with 45 degree bends. I got a few 45 degree hoses & a few straight bits. But on the turbo side you could just use a straight bit of pipe & straight hose conectors.

The internal diameter of the pipe from the turbo it about 50mm, the volvo IC has both 60mm inlet & outlet & the plenum is 70mm.

Basically if you only have straight pipes, you need 45 degree hoses on the plenum side.

Here's a few pics how various people have done it on here. Hope they don't mind me using their pics for referance.

I think the first two are Saab, the last three are Volvo.

Rides
    i have been fitting a volvo fmic today and it has been a nightmare. the one i have is alot narrower than these so i have had to space the rad right back so it is only about 10mm from the fan! got to finish off tomorrow as the bugger wouldnt start today, must be because i blanked off the hose that went to the original top intercooler pipe .
    it looks a mess so i might get a different one and fit a new rad with an electric fan.

Rides
    -
    Last edited by Anth4130; 06-07-2008 at 10:26.

Rides
    what is this cooler off ?

and do these ones fit ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/saab-9000-turb...d=p3286.c0.m14

Rides
    what's better way - mount that IC just like u did its behind the cooler)
    or how some people do that mount that IC in front of Cooler (then u can see that in bumper - it's harder cauze of pipes but isn't it more effective?

Rides

question

Hello, from which car is that IC? I think whitch model and year. I cant find any Volvo or Saab IC with this configuration of inlet and outlet. Thx.

P.

P.S. Sorry for my English, is really poor.

Rides
    i got mine from a saab 9000 turbo. cant remember which year for sure though. i think i paid about 15 euros for mine but i had to remove it from the car myself.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by New200guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SNURDF View Post
    It has Volvo written on it somewhere, I wonder if it's used by both.
    I have no idea which models of Volvo use this intercooler, but the one pictured in Snurdf's install and propped up against the blue plastic containers is identical to the intercooler from the Saab 9000 S Turbo, Part No. 7596257.

Hell of a lot easier to install with the rear facing inlet and outlet than having to source double curved pipes or bends the right size and angle for the ones coming out of the sides at an angle.

After seeing how well it fitted into Snurdf's engine bay I found one and was going to fit it, but then a Norris Wing Mount (which is what I really wanted all along - perfect for my needs) fell into my lap. So if anyone wants one of these Saab beasties then feel free to drop me a pm....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    I have no idea which models of Volvo use this intercooler, but the one pictured in Snurdf's install and propped up against the blue plastic containers is identical to the intercooler from the Saab 9000 S Turbo, Part No. 7596257.

Hell of a lot easier to install with the rear facing inlet and outlet than having to source double curved pipes or bends the right size and angle for the ones coming out of the sides at an angle.

After seeing how well it fitted into Snurdf's engine bay I found one and was going to fit it, but then a Norris Wing Mount (which is what I really wanted all along - perfect for my needs) fell into my lap. So if anyone wants one of these Saab beasties then feel free to drop me a pm....
    Maybe I've been missinformed & it's a Saab one then, could have sworn it said Volvo on it somewhere.

Rides
    I'm not saying yours isn't a Volvo one, just that it is identical to the Saab part number I have quoted.
    If yours is a Saab it will have the word Saab stamped in the top middle rail of the IC.... at least mine does !
    If its off a Volvo then that doubles the chances of people finding one in the breakers so good not bad...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    I'm not saying yours isn't a Volvo one, just that it is identical to the Saab part number I have quoted.
    If yours is a Saab it will have the word Saab stamped in the top middle rail of the IC.... at least mine does !
    If its off a Volvo then that doubles the chances of people finding one in the breakers so good not bad...
    Now as you mention it, it does have Saab written on it. Never noticed that before Oh well, at least it gives people an idea what to expect when they start taking things apart.
    Maybe someone should get the title changed.

Rides
    Just fitted a radiator from toyota celica Carlos Seinz
    and it just fits perfectly. Will post pics tomorrow