Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My guide - how to fit an aftermarket steering wheel

Rides

My guide - how to fit an aftermarket steering wheel

these are not instructions, merely a guide and obviously i cannot be responsible if you balls it up. the airbag does contain explosives so you dont feel comfortable removing it then dont. i found guides for removing the airbag but none for fitting an aftermarket wheel so heres my attempt

i know theres a lot of debate with regards removing the airbag as its a safety item but the original wheel is huge!!!! i'm 6'4 so found it quite difficult getting in and out of the car but fitted a square bottom wheel now so its brilliant.

the tools

most impotant is a t50 tamper proof or security torx piece, i couldnt get one from halfrauds or anywhere but found a set on ebay for a few quid but they werent too hot as they twisted and got mauled? maybe be worth spending a bit of money on a set although god knows where your going to need them again. your also going to neeed a little screwdriver for prizing the clips off and a 19mm socket and ratchet for the big nut.

the boss - i originally bought a cheapy £20 jobbie from ebay but wasnt filled with confidence when it turned up and there was no indicator canceller or anything so bought this one from driftworks http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/pr...heel-boss.html its pretty steep but well worth it in my opinion. it cancels the indicators, cheats the airbag and fits like a dream, really cannot reccomend it enough

firstly, i drove the car backwards and forwards a few times to make sure the car was straight then you need to disconnect the battery and leave it for a good while, i waited about half an hour for mine

next, prize the clips from the side of the steering wheel that cover the t50 security bolts

they're pretty tight but not over tourqued

next, very carefully move the airbag away from the wheel and disconnect this airbag plug

its a bit fiddly but even i managed it with my gorrilla fingers, then when the airbag is removed put it as far away as possible. not sure of the disposal procedure for airbags.

you should now be left with this

you'll need to remove this bottom cover, you can do this before you remove the airbag if you want but i didnt realise if came off until afterwards lol

disconnect the horn plug, pull the cables thru the hole in the bottom of the wheel where you've just removed the cover. Now you'll need your ratchet and 19mm socket to undo the main wheel nut. tip don't remove the nut completely, put it back on a couple of threads because you'll smack yourself in the head when you pull the wheel off. takes a fair bit of a tug but you can do it by hand, no need for bearing pushers or anything like that.

with the wheel removed it should look like this

now remove the rubber sheath from the new boss and fit it over the shaft. this is when you realise how good a fit the expensive boss is.

if you went for the cheaper one with out the airbag cheater then its only a 2A fuse so you could probably make something similar to cheat it.

the horn has 3 wires going into the plug but only 1 coming out so i figured the horn works by being earthed so using the plug that comes with the kit i put the spade connecter on one of the horn terminals and then earthed the other terminal to the boss itself

do the bolts up and sit there revelling in your handywork

i went from this

to this................

the difference is amazing and i cannot reccomend it enough. driving is so much nicer and i no longer look like a contortionist getting out of the car lol

anyway, i hope this helps anyone doing a similar thing and if i've missed anything out then please add it on

Rides
    rrr good lad.
    have to ask the gods to make it a sticky

Rides
    cheers mate, forgot to add that the boss instructions were in japenese hence i did this lol

Rides
    good mod... if you consider your steering wheel to be worth more than your life.

Seen too many high speed crashes to appreciate this mod. Sorry

Rides
    airbags are more dangerous than a fookin accident, if you think an airbag will do fookall at 100mph then your mad, aprt from face burns and the like.

i have driven 400bhp nissans without the aid of an airbag, and never for one moment ever thought i better not be doing 160mph without an airbag

i see why your user name is darkage goes with the fookin teratory LMAO

nice write up bud

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsx View Post
    airbags are more dangerous than a fookin accident, if you think an airbag will do fookall at 100mph then your mad, aprt from face burns and the like.

i have driven 400bhp nissans without the aid of an airbag, and never for one moment ever thought i better not be doing 160mph without an airbag

i see why your user name is darkage goes with the fookin teratory LMAO

nice write up bud

Im sure people will disagree with me. Nevertheless good write up

Rides
    Most helpfull CHEERS

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAge View Post
    good mod... if you consider your steering wheel to be worth more than your life.

Id agree with this in principal for the road, especially if you've keeping the stock seats and seat belts.

But I'd rather have a properly setup bucket seat/harnesses/rollcage and removeable steering wheel for safety on the track any day...

Rides
    its horses for courses really, i'm not telling anyone to do it or not it but i love it and it would be boring if we were all the same hence project trev lol

Rides
    Excellent job dude. Definatly one for the sticky

Rides
    Nice write up, i'm sure the photos will help when it comes to fitting the nice OMP wheel i've got, just need to get a boss for it now.

Does the wheel sit slightly closer to you now or is the depth of the boss similar to the original steering wheel?

Rides
    i like the look of these kind of wheels (were the ****s the cool smilie gone?)

the airbag thing doesnt worry me thow however what do insurance companies say on this?

Rides
    u missed 2 bolts on your knew wheel lol

good writeup though did this at xmas on my 14

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JONXLR8 View Post
    Nice write up, i'm sure the photos will help when it comes to fitting the nice OMP wheel i've got, just need to get a boss for it now.

Does the wheel sit slightly closer to you now or is the depth of the boss similar to the original steering wheel?
    i think it sits ever so slightly closer which is good because it felt a bit too far away before.

u missed 2 bolts on your knew wheel lol
    lol, i know. long story but basically they're holding the replacement wheel on whats left of my old vectra in the scrappy, i'll get some replacements when it really starts to bother me. cheers for the comments thou

Rides
    good write up, BUT if you didnt want to go for the expensive driftworks boss, and used a cheapy one. its easy to get it to cancel indicators, airbag light. All you need to do is remove the steering wheel cowling and then remove that airbage coil thingy (with the yellow stickers on it). put a 2.7ohm resistor on the white connector that comes from the coil. That should work to trick the airbag light

For the indicator cancel mechanism, just around the centre of the steering shaft, is a blue ring with 3 small pins sticking out of it (8th pic down) just drill 3 small holes in exactly the same position on the back of your boss, and hey presto it works.

oh and with the airbag coil unit thingy, just place that somewhere inside the dash out of sight.

Rides
    thats good to know man, i've faffed about with the coily things on other cars but couldnt bring myself to do it to that one but definately a good idea

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAge View Post

Try reading the whole thread before you jump on your soap box!

Looking good Mr Ruttle

Rides

Ok, I give in, whats this called? I have a TX set, but its the more common solid type, so doesn't have a hole for the centre on these type of bolts.

If anyone could shed some light that would be great, I have just spent about 20mins searching lol.

Rides
    most impotant is a t50 tamper proof or security torx piece

Answer at top of thread

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    most impotant is a t50 tamper proof or security torx piece

Answer at top of thread
    Have you ever googled that?

Edit, sorry should be more specific. There is male, female, solid tipped (which I have) etc etc.

Looking for the hollow tipped ones to suit, but from a decent make which won't

i couldnt get one from halfrauds or anywhere but found a set on ebay for a few quid but they werent too hot as they twisted and got mauled?
    Cheers for the help.
    Last edited by Squares; 14-01-2008 at 20:05.