Thread: Wipers

Rides

Wipers

My wipers gave up the ghost on the motorway today. They just stopped, then flapped about for a bit until the wind pushed them right over and off the screen.

They are both still conected, as when you move one (by hand), the other moves. It's dark now so not had much of a butchers.

Anyone any ideas, I have done a search but can't find anything? I am guessing something has just snapped, or is the motor likely to be sh@gged?

Seems a funny coincidence that I fitted a pair of these http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=706 only last week?!

Any advice would be greatly appricaited

Rides
    Sounds like the arm from the motor has popped off the ball on the passenger side wiper. They're a plastic knuckle and not very good. Mine used to do it all the time. Take the plastic panel off and you should be able to pop it back on again.............

Rides
    sweet, that's what I wanted to hear. I will have a gander in the morning

Rides
    Plenty here (hopefully)

Rides
    Is the wiper conversion any good?
    Got a pic?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Take the plastic panel off and you should be able to pop it back on again.............
    And after about five sweeps of the wipers it will pop off again

Putting a piece of thick polythene bag over the ball will increase the short term fix but new wiper linkage is the only real cure. They're about £30 from Nissan
    Last edited by Aitch; 18-03-2007 at 20:45. Reason: spelling

Rides
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that bit! Depends how worn it is though.

I actually managed to salvage mine - I reinforced the plastic knuckles by forcing wire into the gaps which tightened the fit. Suffice to say, it hasn't come off since...........

Rides
    other option is to drill the cup and ball and put a bolt through....

Rides
    just get a nut n bolt like i did take the linkage off pop the ball back on and drill a hole through the joint put the nut n bolt through but dont tighten it up on the ball use another bolt n tighten together i did this 2 years ago n they still work,
    method of manual wipers is grab the drivers side wiper with your arm out the window and pull it off the wind screen till the passenger wiper cleans your field of view

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    And after about five sweeps of the wipers it will pop off again

Putting a piece of thick polythene bag over the ball will increase the short term fix but new wiper linkage is the only real cure. They're about £30 from Nissan
    not only that, its the most godawful b*tch of a job to do on a 14/a! unless you have long rake like arms and hyperextendable fingers

Rides
    Could also be that the arm has come loose from its attachment. The bit that stick out of the bodywork, that has a spline on it.

Rides
    hummmmmmmmmmm..........my normally mundane drive to work was made a little bit more exciting this morning, no wipers and snow added a whole new perspective to the phase 'i can't see jack shit' . Cheers for all the advice, I shall be on it tonight as long as I can get home before it goes dark

Rides
    The part is only about £12 from Nissan, not £30... I replaced mine last year sometime.

Funny how your wipers only break when it's raining

PS - see this http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showpost.php...40&postcount=4

Rides
    So, it's now in bits, question is, what do I need to buy from nissan? Just the nilon plugs, or do I need the other bit as well?

cheers

Rides
    Ask for wiper linkage and they'll give you the whole arm complete with cups and grease. If you want the rubber protector bits you have to ask for those seperately. Should come to around £30 total with the rubber cups.

Edit: Added receipt for part numbers. The "Escuchion pivo" are the rubber cups.
    Last edited by Mr C; 19-03-2007 at 21:43.

Rides
    Cheers for that. What's this about it costing on £7 + vat then. I take it you replaced both sides of the linkage. I think I only need to do one as only one is popping off. Cheers in advance

Rides
    Yes I did both as I figured the other one will be getting towards the end of it's life as well, although I guess the one from the motor will see a bit more wear. The driver side didn't exactly resist when I took it off, and took a good tug to fit the new one.

I just didn't want the other to break and have to take it apart all over again in 6 months time for the sake of a few quid.

Rides
    i'm with ya

I'll get them ordered up tomo Cheers for the advice