Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the turbo work in reverse?

Rides

Question Does the turbo work in reverse?

Just thought of this, hmm I would imagine it would. God I am bored.

Rides
    Of course I doesn't 'cos the air is going through the engine the opposite way!

I dunno, some people...

Cheers, Phil (also very bored but stuck at work 'til 18:30)

Rides
    I think the ecu is set to prevent this from happening

Rides
    I think you'll find that the vanes are shaped so it spins in one direction only.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    No it doesn't...

When you select reverse the following sequence happens..

1) The gearbox gear position nodicator flangulates the precise positional input whirlygig frequency to the barbar valve.

2) The barbar valve compresses this flangulation into a nurfelbyte of terra informational transport system (T.I.T.S.) standard oscillation

3) This engages the turbocharger brake.

4) The turbocharger brake is a long rod that lives in the primary section of the exhaust. On the turbo end of this rod is a small asbestos hamster

5) When engaged, the asbestos hamster hangs onto the turbine wheel with all his strength to stop the turbo spinning

*Note:
    the asbestos hamsters on the 200sx are not particularly strong. If you hear a graunching noise when you select reverse, its not the gear synchro's meshing, its actually an asbestos hamster getting caught up in the spinning bits.

Don't worry though, Nissan addresses this problem by fitting a lifetime's supply of asbestos hamsters. The large box section of exhaust just before the rear axle contains over 5000 asbestos hamsters.

If you need to replace them, the Nissan part number is:

8088390-001

Alternatively, Nismo do an uprated hamster called 'Hyper-Rodent-R'

So now you know
    Last edited by Dunk; 13-12-2002 at 14:41.

Rides
    OMG!

thats the funniest thing I've read ALL day!

Dave

Rides
    ......I thought Mycroft had returned

Rides
    If you don't have a hamster there it will boost.

Rides
    Originally posted by Dunk

4) The turbocharger brake is a long rod that lives in the primary section of the exhaust. On the turbo end of this rod is a small asbestos hamster

5) When engaged, the asbestos hamster hangs onto the turbine wheel with all his strength to stop the turbo spinning

*Note:
    the asbestos hamsters on the 200sx are not particularly strong. If you hear a graunching noise when you select reverse, its not the gear synchro's meshing, its actually an asbestos hamster getting caught up in the spinning bits.

Just to clarify - is that an 'asbestos hamster' of a conventional hamster in an asbestos suit?

You have just caused me major embarassment as the 2 other people left in the office wonder why I am finding inputting bridge survey information funny enough to just about have tears running down my face

Cheers, Phil

Rides
    Clarification:

Asbestos Hamsters...

Normal hamsters can't wear asbestos suits thick enough to keep out the huge temperatures encountered just downwind of a normal turbocharger turbine rotor.

These hamsters are drop forged from grade 307 aero steel first, then electroplated with asbestos and teflon (to stop them sticking to the sides of the downpipe)

Rides

Does the turbo work in reverse?

LOL

Rides
    That is sooooooo funny - i'm pissing my self!! Just the though of a little hamster all kitted out with goggles, gloves etc with a big bar in his hand standing next to a huge spinning fan!!

Rides
    I've had an HKS "AHCD" (Asbestos Hamster Cut Defencer) fitted to my ecu so the hamster does not know when the car is going into reverse. This way I can actually get 15psi going backwards and get scrabbly!!!!!!!

Rides
    Does that mean that you get Geese in a Mongoose, and as well as stopping the Turbo when you reverse, they flap their wings and aid airflow

Rides
    On a serious note, yes it does, 'cos my DV sounded after a high speed bit of reversing the other day

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Sounds like you've run out of Hamsters then Pete?

Banned
    Rides
    OMG, that is the funniest thing i have ever read on the internet, i was laughing so hard my mum came upstairs to see if i was okay! i have tears running down my face and my stomache hurts!

I hearby award you the dori-car "funniest man on the sxoc" award. I salute you

mittomatto

still having spazzams from laughing so hard

Rides
    LOL

That's fookin hilarious mate .

You must have taken a shedload of Acid to get an imagination like that !

Jonny

PS. I can picture that as a cartoon with a voice-over an' all I've had's a smoke !

Rides
    Originally posted by pete_cotton
    On a serious note, yes it does, 'cos my DV sounded after a high speed bit of reversing the other day
    Seriously sounds like you've run out of Asbestos Hamsters. They are 'lifed' at 24 miles per rodent.

Therefore, you should have enough hamsters to see you to 120,000miles.

If you've not got to 120,000 then its possible you've got a blockage.

Sometimes the hamster refresh mechanism will try and force two down the pipe simultaneously. Due to the fact that they're drop forged steel, they don't bend or squish and will simply jam themselves somewhere between the hamster magazine in front of the back axle, and the turbo.

Get under the car and look for any abnormal bulges in the exhaust pipe.

To fix this, simply go to the silencer end and shout one of the following down the exhaust;

"Oooooh look, there's Richard Gere"

or

"Well I never, its my old mate Bobby Davro"

That'll shift em soon enough

And in answer to the other one, no you don't get Geese in Mongoose's - thats just plain ridiculous...

Rides
    Originally posted by Dunk
    No it doesn't...

When you select reverse the following sequence happens..

1) The gearbox gear position nodicator flangulates the precise positional input whirlygig frequency to the barbar valve.

2) The barbar valve compresses this flangulation into a nurfelbyte of terra informational transport system (T.I.T.S.) standard oscillation

3) This engages the turbocharger brake.

*Note:

Don't worry though, Nissan addresses this problem by fitting a lifetime's supply of asbestos hamsters. The large box section of exhaust just before the rear axle contains over 5000 asbestos hamsters.

If you need to replace them, the Nissan part number is:

8088390-001

Alternatively, Nismo do an uprated hamster called 'Hyper-Rodent-X'

So now you know

Just spent the last 5 minutes crying with laughter CWL
    That's just sooooooooo funny
    Now I know why you have to decat when you fit a BOV....

If you don't then instead of hamster being harmlessly ejected through the exhaust, the poor chap ends up going through the BOV and you end up with a dull thud on the underside of the bonnet possibly leaving a small hamster shaped dent
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...