Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Basics, connections

Rides

Turbo Basics, connections

Some may find this useful, others will already know:

Based on a T25

Red is the oil feed elbow (shown with adaptor for braided hose), can be undone with a 17mm spanner or mole grips, aircon equipped people will have to unbolt the bracket shown in the picture, 5 or 6 14mm bolts and wiggle it out of the way

Yellow is the water feed for the turbo, 19mm head m14 x 1.5 thread banjo, i used 2 vauxhall sump plug washers that cost 50p from a factors. The end shown here is only accessable when the turbo/manifold is removed so when removing the turbo disconnect at the turbo end (picture below)

Red is water return from turbo to plenum, goes round the back of the head, turbo side is once again 19mm head m14 x 1.5 thread banjo, this can be undone with turbo/manifold in place and needs to be undone early in the removal process. Again harking back to my vauxhall days i used 2 vauxhall flat section sump plug washers.

Yellow is the oil feed union this as far as i'm aware is a weird 7/16unf x 24tpi thread, and if upgrading to braided lines with a banjo type end from the old brake pipe style effort (see below) you'll need to source one, a search for banjo bolts on google brought up results, length needed is as close to 1 inch as possible.

Red is Water feed, bolt specs all as above m14 x 1.5 19mm head

yellow is oil return... not very interesting and straight forward enough to mess about with.

On the left we have the old style brakepipe oil feed effort, although clear of blockages mine had started to split at one end and needed sorting.

On the right is the new braided line with a banjo connector, hence my recent quest to source a suitable banjo bolt to fit it, m12 copper washers to seal it all up and i believe the banjo bolt to be 7/16 unf x 24tpi and approx 25mm long ( i'll confirm this as correct later).

Lastly the turbo to turbo elbow bolts are m8 x 1.25, i'm changing to studs m8 x 1.25 and 37mm in length along with exhaust manifold locking nuts in an effort to stop them coming undone, exhaust paste will be used as threadlock also

Anyway, i hope at least one person who's never seen a turbo off the car before will find this useful

Andy

Edit:

Turbo oil feed banjo bolt is infact 7/16UNF x 24tpi i used goodridge part no. 775-44P
    Last edited by Razzario; 15-10-2006 at 09:10.

Rides
    Well done that man. If I saw this thread before I did my gasketts it would have saved me time

Rides
    Nice one mate.

Rides
    Awesome, really useful if you`ve never done it before. Will save you lots of time

Rides
    added to the usefull threads sticky

Rides
    Thanks for that Will come in very useful I see what you mean about the banjo bolt problem now.

Its been extra useful for me as its also shown me where the lamda sensor is located (on the turbo elbow), therefore I know mine definitely doesn't have one as I've seen the elbow up close and personal when replacing the bolts that had dropped out and there was not a lamda on top. That means I definitely need a pre facelift ecu, whoops, I'm running a facelift.

Rides
    just like the old days

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishpaddy
    just like the old days
    it was only a matter of time before the sx had to come apart

Rides
    Excellent just taken my turbo off, would have saved me time if i had of seen this... all i have to do now is source some new gaskets for the new turbo (only a t25 swap) anyone any ideas?

Rides
    which gaskets, turbo-manifold, manifold-head etc???? apex would be your best bet

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzario
    which gaskets, turbo-manifold, manifold-head etc???? apex would be your best bet
    thats where i got mine

Rides
    aye get them from Apex or ur local NISSAN supplie shop

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzario
    it was only a matter of time before the sx had to come apart
    did you get a proper gearbox yet?

Rides
    Just to update this, it would seem that the later facelift turbo's come with a banjo fit type oil feed fitted from the factory. The turbo I took off came with the usual brake line fitting. However, since the new tubby arrived with the correct type of banjo bolt already on it (which made things a lot easier for me ) I thought I'd post a picture of the bolt in question:

Hope this makes sourcing one easier for anyone who requires one.

Rides
    any chance of getting to see these pictures again? Its not much use without pictures

Rides
    how odd, my account isn't inactive! i'll try sort this

Rides

Yes please!

Would be very very useful to see the pictures seeing as you made the effort to put them on.
    Thanks and hope you can sort it!!

Rides
    Yea i seen this a while back and said to myself that will be handy for when i was going to change my turbo and now i took it off i am unsure where everything goes as i am fitting braided hoses.

Mebe someone can help me anyway...I got a set of braided hoses...I was wondering is the short hose and 1 long hose for water and the other long hose for oil? Or is the shorter hose for the oil?

Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by a60rod View Post
    Would be very very useful to see the pictures seeing as you made the effort to put them on.
    Thanks and hope you can sort it!!

agreed, would bee good if someone could post the pics for this?

Rides
    Were the pictures ever revived as can't see them on here?