Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting read concerning liability on trackday and application of Road Traffic Act

Rides

Interesting read concerning liability on trackday and application of Road Traffic Act

Well worth a read of this in the trackday section, and then follow the link it gives in the first post. Interesting stuff for anyone who goes on track.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...howtopic=64192
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    need to register

Rides
    http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?id=114318&pn=1&ps=15&c=

Hopefully you don't need to register for the main link above.

Rides
    ooh, went from high to low real quick, just spotted the brands hatch track day and then read that!!!
    I'm a track virgin and cocking it up and twatting someones pride and joy REALLY scares me.
    To the point of having 250hp and not going on a track....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon
    ooh, went from high to low real quick, just spotted the brands hatch track day and then read that!!!
    I'm a track virgin and cocking it up and twatting someones pride and joy REALLY scares me.
    To the point of having 250hp and not going on a track....
    Same here, but they do say forewarned is forarmed, and I think all in the points made are that genuine mistakes are difference from negligence.

Rides
    This is precisely why I've not been on a trackday, and probably never will unless the UK road network becomes hostile to drivers to the point where I don't enjoy it any more.

The risk is unacceptably high, in my opinion.

Rides
    You go on a trackday at your own risk, negligence is extremely difficult to prove in a case like an incident on a racetrack. And theres little point in going after a driver, you would go after someone with insurance like the track or the trackday organiser.

However this is my completely uninformed opinion, I'm not a lawyer - thank god.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nene
    This is precisely why I've not been on a trackday, and probably never will unless the UK road network becomes hostile to drivers to the point where I don't enjoy it any more.

The risk is unacceptably high, in my opinion.
    After half a dozen trackdays in bikes and cars I have reached the conclusion that I hate driving on the road. I purely view it as a means of getting from A to B.

Trackdays are far, far safer than roads. Driving standards are infinitely higher. Overtaking is by consent, always on the same side, only on straights etc, no cars coming in the over direction.. You have run offs, decent road surfaces. Theres an ambulance on standby.

If you are sensible and drive within the limits of you and your car they are a great and safe way of having fun.

Rides
    I agree

Trackdays are 1,000,000 safer than being on the road
    The number of times i've almost had my car written off by some bint in an over sized 4x4 having to go through toff infested harpenden where I live far exceeds the amount of danger on track.

On a track cars are all going the same way albeit faster. But there are no junctions / roundabouts etc car density on track is also far lower.

Trackdays are safe people
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 14-09-2006 at 19:42.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee
    After half a dozen trackdays in bikes and cars I have reached the conclusion that I hate driving on the road. I purely view it as a means of getting from A to B.

Trackdays are far, far safer than roads. Driving standards are infinitely higher. Overtaking is by consent, always on the same side, only on straights etc, no cars coming in the over direction.. You have run offs, decent road surfaces. Theres an ambulance on standby.

If you are sensible and drive within the limits of you and your car they are a great and safe way of having fun.
    Oh yes I dont drive for fun on the roads period. Thats why our S13 hardly ever turned a wheel unless it was on track or being tuned and is why our S14 is being built with such no compromise track focus.

Rides
    have only done one track day in my car, had some instruction from marshals and then proceded to have one of the best days ever in a car, cant wait to do next one. There was an idiot on the track with us but he got black flagged and dismissed from the circuit.

Rides
    very interesting.

how does trackday insurance normally cost?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by steve 1200
    There was an idiot on the track with us but he got black flagged and dismissed from the circuit.
    No I wasn't

Nene, I think you should pop along to a track day and get a passenger ride on an SXOC session or a proper track day (not a Trax/Japfest open session) and see how safe it really is

Rides
    nor me i went to my first day with mixed emotion but once you get on track you realise that the level of competance and safety far exceeds that of daily driving, i pushed it a bit far (in the wet) and was greeted with some grass and a bruised ego. Brands in particular is very well laid out in my opinion and anyone in two minds should just go for it.

Rides
    I have done umpteen trackdays now with just one real near miss when a complete cock in a Subaru turned left across my front and straight off the track. I had to anchor on to avoid hitting him.

But that was down to the guy being a penis and the same could easily have happened on road. I was tucked up down the side of his back n/s quarter ready for an overtake on the exit of the right hand corner we were in.

Had I not been so close then there would have been no chance of contact so Id have had no one to blame but myself had I hit him. So really Im the cock

I did a track day yesterday and they make road driving oooooohhh soooooooo boring To the point where even the thought of going to a blast on an evening no longer enters my mind, its not worth the risk and the buzz is non existent compared to track action

Rides
    I gotta lose my track virginity at some point , so it might as well be brands!

Rides
    So to surmise that thread and please correct me if i am wrong.

You can go on a track day but as soon as you are past the garages your current insurance is no longer valid or liable for any damage caused to your car or and damage you cause to any other.

You can buy track day insurance which covers any damage to your car by an off, a crash, nudge or any other skirmish.

You are not legally responsible for any damage caused to any other car it is thier responsibility to take out insurance to cover that.

From briskly browsing the thread on the lotus forum the general concensus is that if you crashed into someone that did not have insurance morally, you would pay for the repairs, but legally you are not obliged to pay a bean and vica versa if someone crashes into you. Its funny really, the most dangerous drivers i have seen on track tend to be driving lotus7, westfield or radicals (With the exception of some nobs in corsa)... They seem to think that as they are fast, light as a crisp packet, handle well and brake superbly they own the track. They say that they would pay for any damage caused so someone elses vehicle but what if they crashed into an uninsured fezz or lambo that would cost about £35,000 for a body panel?

Am i right? Could i go out and buy a cheap S13 to use on the track and as long as i dont drive it like a nob be ok? if i hit someone be it by lack of skill or any other means it would not be my resposibility to cough up the cash to get someone elses car fixed? And same the other way, if someone crashed into me i would have to take it on the chin and either repair my own car or scrap it.

Would i be in danger of anyone trying to sue me for money if i caused damage to thier car? Would they have a leg to stand on? When you sign on is it not in the conditions that you take part that it at your own risk?
    Last edited by ZXSpectrum; 17-09-2006 at 17:19.

Rides
    I cant wait for Elvingdon now to be honest. Going to spend the winter prepping the car for the track next year with cage, seats, etc, etc and have even more fun

I know it wasn't much but the time we had at Trax really got me intrested.

Bren does that offer for a trip in the skyline still stand from the Brands evening

Rides
    car trackdays are fun but wait till you get into bike trackdays as well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXSpectrum

Would i be in danger of anyone trying to sue me for money if i caused damage to thier car? Would they have a leg to stand on? When you sign on is it not in the conditions that you take part that it at your own risk?
    The question isn't so much do they have a leg to stand on but if someone decides to sue you what if any legal cover do you have in this instance?